Linux mint website is not accessible in islamic Republic of iran

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sohrabbehdani
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint website is not accessible in islamic Republic of iran

Post by sohrabbehdani »

Hi everyone
Linux mint website is not accessible in my country iran
This lack of access is not the work of our government because the Linux Mint site is accessible with anti-sanction DNS. Therefore, if you have banned our country from entering the site and accessing Linux Mint, we request you to remove this ban, because Linux Mint has a good position in the open source community of Iran as a suitable distribution for beginners.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux mint website is not accessible in islamic Republic of iran

Post by xenopeek »

Which website(s) specifically are not accessible? Please provide the URLs. Are there some Linux Mint websites that are accessible?

And how are they not accessible? Do they timeout, show a Sucuri block message or what happens when you try to visit the website(s)?

If you get a Sucuri block message I need a screenshot of it. If you don't want to make your IP address public, email it to admin@linuxmint.com.
sohrabbehdani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sohrabbehdani »

The main website
linuxmint.com
It just times out but the forum works just fine :)
But after Enabling vpn or anti-sanction dns like (shecan.ir) it works.
I even used different internet providers but still the same problem.

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If your IP address is blocked on Linux Mint's end you'd get a block message about that, not a timeout. I think you've already confirmed your ISP's DNS is the problem because you wrote that if you change to another DNS it works. This would otherwise also have been my first suggestion: try changing your DNS.

If you want to look further into it you can try running the command mtr -zb -wr -c 1 www.linuxmint.com. Leave the command running until it returns to the shell prompt; it can take a while to complete. On a good connection you'll see as last step it reaches cloudproxy*.sucuri.net — that means you've reached our firewall. If you would be blocked at that step, your web browser would show you a block message from the firewall not give you a timeout. On a connection where you get timeouts it won't get so far to even try cloudproxy*.sucuri.net because earlier on there will be a problem. I'm no network wizard but usually that is with the DNS.
ansar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint and Iran

Post by ansar »

Hello, I live in Iran.
Why has Linux Mint banned Iran?
I can no longer access the Linux Mint sites and the Monger software without the anti-filter(VPN)
Please do not sanction the people of Iran, we also have the right to use free software.
Please support everyone
Thanks
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux Mint and Iran

Post by t42 »

Probably it's an issue with your DNS servers. Please read this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=393567
-=t42=-
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint and Iran

Post by xenopeek »

ansar wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 am Why has Linux Mint banned Iran?
I've merged your topic with the existing topic on the same.

The issue is most likely a problem (intentional or not) in your ISP's DNS. If you would be blocked you would see a block message, not get a connection timeout. See my reply above. Try changing your DNS. To further investigate from a good connection and from a bad connection run the mtr command and compare the results, to see where the bad connection gets stuck on reaching the server.
ansar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ansar »

please look.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You are not being blocked by Linux Mint but by mirror.aminidc.com, which is a mirror hosted by the seemingly Iranian company aminidc; https://www.aminidc.com/.

As to why likely no one here will be able to tell you; I'd suggest you contact them if you don't know why that would be either (if you're using a VPN or proxy or alike its IPs may supposedly be blocked as a matter of general policy). Note that more or less anyone can host a mirror and that unless non-availability is a general issue with that mirror only said mirror's admins will be able to assist -- other than via advise to simply try a different mirror, of course.

Note lastly also that a mirror issue is different than the issue of both others in this thread.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Admin note: several off-topic replies removed.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

sohrabbehdani wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:50 am
if you want to access the forum via phone, this app might help https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tonedotone or https://cloudflarewarp.com/

to change DNS on your linux machine, please check this out viewtopic.php?t=321682#top
i recommend cloudflare 1.1.1.1 but in case it is not available, please use other dns here https://avoidthehack.com/best-dns-privacy
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

@ sohrabbehdani

Linux Mint cannot, unfortunately, be accessed using Tor Browser: sucuri, used to protect Linux Mint, blocks Tor internet exits IP addresses.

The access to Linux Mint from Iran can be blocked by your ISP gateway, by the DNS you use, or can be simply filtered at the global country level.

To overpass this filtering you can try to use a VPN (pay solution).

You can also try to use DNS over HTTPS, or DNS over TLS, using public DNS (Cloudflare, OpenDNS, Google Public DNS...). Those solutions are described in my "Security, Privacy and Anonymity in Linux Mint" Guide, see viewtopic.php?t=397740
(in § "Reduce what your ISP can know").

Depending on the way Iran filters your access to internet, VPN, DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS solutions may or may not give you access to Linux Mint forums.

@ ansar

It seems you don't try to access Linux Mint repository, but a mirror, http://mirror.aminidc.com/linuxmint/packages/. In my update manager, main sources are http://packages.linuxmint.com and http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. Have you tried them? You can set them using mintsources.

Regards,

MN
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4543

Please see the above link for 2 servers that are based in Iran.
Hopefully they will work for you.

Make sure you follow the instructions to verify the Integrity and authenticity checks - instructions on the same page.

Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”