21.1 install alongside windows 10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shemp
Level 1
Level 1

21.1 install alongside windows 10

Post by Shemp »

Hi all,

I'm trying to install 21.1 alongside an existing windows 10, and replacing 19.3. I've had this dual boot for almost 5 years of 19's various flavors. The installer used to recognize windows, and you could just leave it be and it would install Linux Mint easy alongside. The new installer will let you erase whole disk, reinstall 19.3, or dual boot 2 Linux Mints. Or, "something else". I can't be the only person with this problem. Can't I just install 21.1 where 19.3 is now? Ive searched the forums and could not find help. If there is a thread you know of, please let me know. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 21.1 install alongside windows 10

Post by diabolicbg »

Yes, you can. Select "something else" and set the installer to where LM19 used to be. If the installer suggests, format the partition where LM19 was, but first of all backup your home folder if you have valuable files. After installation, open a terminal and enter the command: sudo update-grub - so LM will find Windows 10 and show you the OS selection menu.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
Shemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shemp »

That's great! Thanks. How do I make sure I pick the right partition in "something else"?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Shemp wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:45 pm That's great! Thanks. How do I make sure I pick the right partition in "something else"?
It should be easy to find your way around - the Windows partition is NTFS and the LM partition is EXT. You can preview them in the live session via Gparted is even format the LM19 partition to EXT4. That way you will be sure there is no interference of old files in the new installation.

To be able to format, you will need to give the disk an "unmount" beforehand.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Shemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shemp »

On installing, I got Fatal Error : unable to install grub... I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I just pushed the button to install 21.1... Straight install. Any suggestions? I no longer have 19.3, it's disappeared.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Try in a live session to reinstall grub. You need to assign it a location on the main disk - sda, not sda1... :?

Shemp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shemp »

Thank you!
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Let's hope it works out. I'm not sure exactly what happened.
You can try also Boot repair in live session.

Return to “Installation & Boot”