UEFI boot entries called "ubuntu"

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
msigaming
Level 1
Level 1

UEFI boot entries called "ubuntu"

Post by msigaming »

Hi there.

Why does Linux Mint call UEFI boot entries "ubuntu" instead of let's say "mint" or "LinuxMint"? Before you jump into conclusions I am fully aware that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and Debian, but Pop_OS! has renamed "ubuntu" entry to PopOS entry. It doesn't cause any issues it just annoys me that they haven't renamed it.

Are there any plans for finally renaming boot entries from "ubuntu" to "mint" in 21.2 at least?

Thanks.
Last edited by SMG on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Installation & Boot to Suggestions & Feedback.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: UEFI boot entries called "ubuntu"

Post by Termy »

That's a good question. Very strange.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

They are busy with themes and colors. :roll:
Cobrin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cobrin »

I think I've only seen that when i've booted to a flash drive for live os repair/timeshift needs. Or something like that. In any case I think it was updating grub that resets it to the normal entry name.

I could be worng it has been some time since I've seen that behaviour.
If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Core i5-11400
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master
32Gb 3600Mhz Crucial Ballistix
Asrock RX6600XT 8Gb Challenger OC Edition
Aorus 500Gb Gen4 nvme
550W Gold SFx PSU
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The directly above speaks of the Grub menu, poster asks about the UEFI menu (or entries, at least).

The UEFI entries are called "ubuntu" since at the lower level Linux Mint is Ubuntu. As in not just "based on" or "derived from" but is: except for specifically by Mint themselves developed higher-level software, the packages that form your system arrive directly from the Ubuntu mirror you have configured in software sources.

Note that this is not to say that "Mint is Ubuntu" at the actual distribution level. Mint adds/replaces a heap at the higher levels, but it is to say that at the level of e.g. here the Linux kernel what you are running is in fact Ubuntu, and that includes -- may include at the very least -- some low-level Ubuntu software that expects its UEFI entries to be called "ubuntu". As far as I know that's the actual reason.

The Grub menu entry is called Linux Mint (only) due to this in that case not being a dependency from some other Ubuntu package -- and it in fact is or always was "Ubuntu" for one boot after an e.g. Grub update, i.e., before "system adjustments" gets/got a chance to change it back to "Linux Mint".

I could not without digging tell you what packages depend or may depend on the UEFI boot entries being called "ubuntu" (but expect it may have something to do with UEFI "Safe Boot" support) and never did dig because it's not important: what with as said Linux Mint being Ubuntu at the lowest levels it's in fact fitting.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”