Pixelated screen Occassionally appears

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Demiladeore
Level 1
Level 1

Pixelated screen Occassionally appears

Post by Demiladeore »

sometimes while working on my machine, I get a pixelated screen. It will remain like that until I change the display resolution. Even after changing the display resolution it gets pixelated and will have to change it again. I do this multiple times and its making me less productive.

Normal display: Image: https://imgur.com/a/KdJ3n5b

pixelated: Image : https://imgur.com/a/vROfkAZ

I'm positive about finding help.

Here's my system information:

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: demiladeore-HP-EliteBook-840-G1 Kernel: 5.4.0-144-generic x86_64 
  bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 840 G1 
  v: A3009DD10203 serial: <superuser/root required> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 198F v: KBC Version 15.59 
  serial: <superuser/root required> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: L71 Ver. 01.49 
  date: 02/24/2020 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 48.3 Wh condition: 51.3/51.3 Wh (100%) 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4300U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  Speed: 844 MHz min/max: 800/2900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1766 2: 2291 
  3: 2137 4: 1959 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-144-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-LM driver: N/A 
  Device-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: 80:19:34:ef:8b:6b 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 67.47 GiB (29.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD2500BEKT-60A25T1 
  size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 227.68 GiB used: 67.47 GiB (29.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: 0.0 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 294 Uptime: 2d 11h 19m Memory: 7.67 GiB used: 4.79 GiB (62.5%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38 

Last edited by LockBot on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Pixelated screen Occassionally appears

Post by SMG »

Demiladeore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:49 pm sometimes while working on my machine, I get a pixelated screen. It will remain like that until I change the display resolution. Even after changing the display resolution it gets pixelated and will have to change it again. I do this multiple times and its making me less productive.
I have deleted the topic you created in Hardware Support because cross-posting (creating the same topic in multiple forums) is not permitted.

If you would like to give attention to your topic, please use the "Bump topic" option. You can find it in the lower left of screen on the Topic Tools (wrench icon) after 48 hours have passed since your initial post. Click the downward pointing triangle beside the wrench to see the "Bump topic" option.

Demiladeore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:49 pmNormal display: Image: https://imgur.com/a/KdJ3n5b

pixelated: Image : https://imgur.com/a/vROfkAZ
I have seen that issue in the past and, if I am remembering correctly, it was related to the color profile being used for the monitor. I do not recall the details and it will probably be a while before I have a chance to hunt for the other topics where it happened.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Demiladeore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:49 pm sometimes while working on my machine, I get a pixelated screen. It will remain like that until I change the display resolution. Even after changing the display resolution it gets pixelated and will have to change it again. I do this multiple times and its making me less productive.
If you have been running LM20 versions for a while and this is a new issue, this might relate to a hardware problem.

The original issue where I recall this happening was in this topic LG 22LG3000 TV doesn't display properly only in Linux distros which related to the EDID being passed from the TV (which was the monitor) to the computer. The person never resolved it because the TV died and they replaced it.

Another person with similar issue was trying to get a new GPU working with their monitor. Custom EDIDs were being tried to get it to work properly.

In both those cases, either Linux Mint or their hardware was new in relation to the issue.

You posted information about a laptop so I am presuming you are seeing the issue on the laptop screen. If that is not correct, please let us know.
Demiladeore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Demiladeore »

SMG wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:29 pm
The original issue where I recall this happening was in this topic LG 22LG3000 TV doesn't display properly only in Linux distros which related to the EDID being passed from the TV (which was the monitor) to the computer. The person never resolved it because the TV died and they replaced it.

Another person with similar issue was trying to get a new GPU working with their monitor. Custom EDIDs were being tried to get it to work properly.

In both those cases, either Linux Mint or their hardware was new in relation to the issue.

You posted information about a laptop so I am presuming you are seeing the issue on the laptop screen. If that is not correct, please let us know.
Yes, I am seeing this on my laptop's screen and it has been like that with every Linux distros that I have tried. It doesn't do that on windows.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Demiladeore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:49 pm sometimes while working on my machine, I get a pixelated screen. It will remain like that until I change the display resolution.
To what resolution are you changing it?
Demiladeore wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:29 pmit has been like that with every Linux distros that I have tried. It doesn't do that on windows.
Is the issue related to the amount of time the screen has been used? ie. Is it more likely to happen the longer you have been working on the laptop?
Demiladeore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Demiladeore »

The system stopped booting into GUI. It now boots into intramfs - It's totally unrelated - I'll just create another topic for this.

When I change the resolution I switch between the regular 1366x768 and 1366x768(recommend). The problem isn't dependent on how long the system has been on for.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”