Run Nordvpn with Wine?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kitkat
Level 1
Level 1

Run Nordvpn with Wine?

Post by kitkat »

Hi,

so, switched to mint. With that said though, I am not sure it was the right choice.
I am horrible with the terminal, and can't really wrap my head around if I have to use that basically every time I start Mint.
What it boils down to is that I use nordvpn, and the connection process without a GUI is just way beyond my capabilities.

Can I use Wine to launch the Windows version of Nordvpn?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Run Nordvpn with Wine?

Post by RIH »

If you just use NordVpn with your browser then there is a FireFox extension (NordVPN – A VPN Proxy Extension for Firefox) that you can use.
kitkat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kitkat »

Thanks for the quick reply !
I wish to use nordvpn for all my internet activity not just the browser
KodiakCanoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KodiakCanoe »

If you're interested, I've written this bash script to control the VPN: https://github.com/ph202107/nordlist It's not a GUI, but it's straightforward to use and includes brief descriptions of the various NordVPN features. There are some screenshots there to give you an idea of what it looks like. If you want to try it but need a hand with setup just let me know!
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

I used NordVPN in both Linux and Windows on dual boot.
For Linux look here.

BTW: With Linux Mint it is possible to keep distance to terminal. You can do whatever you want without using it, until you find out the great advantages in many cases to do something with terminal.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
Tramp 116
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tramp 116 »

I have been using Nordvpn for all my online activity for the past 2 years. This is on both Mint 20.3 and Mint 21.
There are really only 2 steps you have to remember.
Log-in (I find doing this through the Nord website is easiest). Once you're logged-in, you stay logged in until something unusual happens. Perhaps an interruption in ISP network or the Nord server you are on fails for some reason. But I have remained logged on for literally months at a time. Even when you turn off your computer each night, as I do, you remain logged-in. In 2 years, I have had to log back in only 5 times.

Then Server Connection, And this is where using the terminal comes in,
You only have to enter 1 command. "nordvpn connect" and the city or country of the server you wish to use. Then you wait a couple of seconds. If it takes longer than 30 seconds, you probably won't be able to use that server and will have to select another.
It really could not be any simpler. Unless you absolutely reject using the terminal for anything what-so-ever. And I suck at using the terminal.

NOTE: Once you log-in on the Nordvpn website, close your browser and connect thru the terminal. Then you can open your browser again.
FYI: If you want to change servers, as I do several times a day, you should closer your browser and disconnect from the server, using the terminal command "nordvpn disconnect". Then connect to the new server using the above connection command.
I don't know is disconnecting before reconnecting is really necessary. I do it to reduce (not eliminate) the risk of trace.
(Hey! if Russia, China, NSA and GCHQ can break TOR (and they have.) they can eventually break anything)
I keep my aluminum hat on tight always.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”