Installing Linux Mint on a new hard drive using laptop running Mint. Don't have access to a USB.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bazz2004
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Linux Mint on a new hard drive using laptop running Mint. Don't have access to a USB.

Post by Bazz2004 »

I can connect the new hard drive externally. Is it possible to install mint on it, and then swap the old hard drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Installing Linux Mint on a new hard drive using laptop running Mint. Don't have access to a USB.

Post by Cosmo. »

Dark is the meaning of speech. :roll:

You have no USB, but you can connect externally, how that? And what is the meaning of "swap the old hard drive"?
Bazz2004
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Linux Mint on a new hard drive using laptop running Mint. Don't have access to a USB.

Post by Bazz2004 »

I have 2 laptop hard drives. One has mint running on it, the other I can connect externally with a cable. The USB I have isn't readable, doesn't even show up on my Windows laptop. I'm just asking if there's a way to install the operating system on the 2nd hard drive, and then put it in the laptop to use as a fresh install.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

See if this works for you:
viewtopic.php?p=2307743#p2307743

Seems like if 1 laptop have a good USB to use you could just install from there and select the other HDD.

Return to “Beginner Questions”