Can't increase or add new SWAP partition/File

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ehrhardtg
Level 1
Level 1

Can't increase or add new SWAP partition/File

Post by Ehrhardtg »

I've modified swap partitions/files before but not on this rig. Computer bogs down severely using graphics app exhausting both 16g RAM and a 1g swap. Crashes.
I have 16g DDR4-3200 gaming memory and Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe.2 Drive with Linux Mint 20.3 installed.

The partitions show as:
Partition file system mount point size
/dev/nvme0n1p1 fat32 /boot/efi 512mib and
/dev/nvme0n1p2 lvm2 pv vgmint 465 Gib

I tried a live USB LM 20.3 disk with GParted. The partitions were locked out and could not be modified.

I've tried multiple on line instructions using Terminal to modify or add a swap file to no avail. Any suggestions how to add a swap file or modify the current one which, by the way, I can not locate. I'm a basic computer end user not a Linux master:)

P.S. I have ordered more memory but still want to learn how to modify the swap. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't increase or add new SWAP partition/File

Post by Beerislife »

I usually follow this guide:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/h ... -swap.html

Ignore step 8...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Can't increase or add new SWAP partition/File

Post by Cosmo. »

The problem will be lvm. Either you need very good knowledge about it and even more reasons to use it - or leave it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”