[RESOLVED!!] Some steam games just open and close

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

[RESOLVED!!] Some steam games just open and close

Post by Whackjob »

Please forgive my laziness as I paste a note I made on Reddit that got no responses. I have additional info after as well.

I'll start with what I've got. Linux Mint, been using it for a little over a year, problems have been few. A few days ago, I noticed that starting Noita, it would act as if opening, then close immediately, without opening a window. I figured I just needed a reboot. Slowly, just about all the other games, with a few exceptions even now, started to do the same. I've googled, I've researched as well as I can, and I can't find the problem here. Most of what I see refers to driver issues. But I think I've ruled that out. Because, at one point, I fired up Timeshift and rolled back to about a week before the problem even began. Weirdly the problem persists.

I did figure out a command switch to turn on error logging when starting Noita. Here's what I'm looking at.

Code: Select all

steam.sh[44385]: Running Steam on linuxmint 20.3 64-bit
steam.sh[44385]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[44453]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[44385]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied
ExecCommandLine: "'/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam' '-nominidumps' '-nobreakpad' 'steam://rungameid/881100'"
ExecuteSteamURL: "steam://rungameid/881100"
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
getopt: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by getopt)
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe' PROTON_LOG=1\0
Game process added : AppID 881100 "/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe' PROTON_LOG=1", ProcID 44564, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 7] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
getopt: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by getopt)
Game process removed: AppID 881100 "/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe' PROTON_LOG=1", ProcID 44564 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 44567
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 44566
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 44565
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam

The three items I've tried to google and track down were:

I've double and treble checked my graphics drivers. They're the same as they were prior to this issue. I'm out of ideas. I see these sorts of errors from even back prior to 2020, and many of them say solved, but none of the solutions work or seem to apply to me.

Anyone have any ideas? Noita's been keeping me sane during a brutal semester on top of a pair of family tragedies and I need a little time in it today. Oh, I have turned on and off the steam beta inclusion, to rule that out. I've also tried different proton versions. They seem to have no effect.[/i]

I've also completely uninstalled and purged my graphics drivers, and reinstalled.

Now, here's the real kicker: I had an old test account on the computer, a blank profile of sorts. If I log on that account, and I installed steam and Noita on it, it ran. Now, I'm still newish noobish on Linux, but my old troubleshooter itch started up again. Because please forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's telling me it's neither hardware nor by-itself software trouble. It's interference from somewhere else. And since it works for the test account, and not for me, than it's got to be some service running that isn't for the other account.

So I guess what I'm asking, is, is there any way I can track down what's giving me grief, here? I did do a timeshift already to a point days before this all began, and it did not change anything. I could use a savior today! I'm at the limit of my ability, and I need that stress output back open so I can function like a real person again.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Teadrinker
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Some steam games just open and close

Post by Teadrinker »

Hello!
I too have been unable to launch games with Steam that previously (a month before) worked perfectly... I installed Lutris and haven't had any problems at all launching games..
IMO try Lutris and install proton under Lutris.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

Thanks, but I've already got a workaroud. I just switch users to the user account. Game works there. I'm just trying to find out what this problem is, before it happens there, also.

I'm surprised, I've posted this issue in several places... and nobody over a period of days has even attempted to suggest what it might be.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

[RESOLVED!] Very Strange problem with Steam, some games crash immediately

Post by Whackjob »

But the games work on the other regular user account. I can't figure it out. At all. I'm at a complete loss and this inconvenience is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea? I'm desperate.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed information which was a duplicate of the original post.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

I did do a timeshift already to a point days before this all began, and it did not change anything.
My TimeShift does not contain the home folder ( /home/user_name/ )
I don't know if your "timeshift" have it set.
The /home/user_name folder also contains program settings for a given user.
There is hidden folder .steam
You can rename this folder and when you run Steam,
Steam will create new folder .steam with new settings.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

Aye. When I uninstalled and purged steam, I also deleted this folder.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Hard to guess.

I have folder for " Total War" games
/home/user_name/.local/share/feral-interactive
with their settings.
A long time ago deleting ( or renaming ) the file inside, fixed my game.
But I don't remember the name of the file.

Edited
But this looks like a different game.

Edited
Probably you need Proton to run game.
So, you can check / ask also on https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/3176
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

I've got proton. I've even taken the liberty of changing which version I'm using. No effect. I don't think it's proton, since my other regular user account can play the game with the same settings fine. There's something different between that profile and my admin normal account.
MintCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintCat »

Hi
To answer that question is maybe better provide more info, like what games fail to start (bcz sometimes are specifically some games)
And also if u have a disk in NTFS for example (bcz wine and NTFS aren't friends)
Wish u can find an answer.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Very Strange problem with Steam, some games crash immediately

Post by mikeflan »

I guess we should mention this identical post that got some attention:
viewtopic.php?t=394247

You have a workaround and it is still driving you nuts. You and I are somewhat alike :)
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

Well, yeah, the other one was posted just under games. I figured posting under support might attract some attention and some ideas. A workaround is nice and all, but it isn't a solution and it isn't a resolution. There's times I like to take a break from doing college work, and to have to close out of everything to play for fifteen minutes and then switch back over and re-log in to everything all over again... it's torture.

Am I still not posting in the right place to get help? I have no idea where else to go to ask.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

- I suggest making a log of the game when it works and when it doesn't.
You can use Meld to compare files.
or other diff tool https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-file ... omparison/
This tools will allow you to bypass errors that occur in both logs.
and find only the elements that differ.

- I suggested this Proton community because this log works with Proton.
So maybe they'll find something more in log.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

MintCat wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:12 pm Hi
To answer that question is maybe better provide more info, like what games fail to start (bcz sometimes are specifically some games)
And also if u have a disk in NTFS for example (bcz wine and NTFS aren't friends)
Wish u can find an answer.
Nope, no NTFS. All the games that fail to play are the ones that have a fairly detailed 3D engine, so I'm assuming it's a proton issue. I.E. Captain of Industry, Dyson Sphere Program, No Man's Sky, Noita, and Satisfactory are what I'm currently seeing the bug with. All of these ran just fine about a week ago. All of these will run on my standard user account, even now. This is why I don't think it's a hardware issue. Both of these accounts are using the same everything. I figure it's some process I might've installed for the sake of Stable Diffusion, perhaps, that's interfering with it. But, I can't trace the start of this issue to any installation of anything. It's such a mystery to me.
1000 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:28 am - I suggest making a log of the game when it works and when it doesn't.
You can use Meld to compare files.
or other diff tool https://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-file ... omparison/
This tools will allow you to bypass errors that occur in both logs.
and find only the elements that differ.

- I suggested this Proton community because this log works with Proton.
So maybe they'll find something more in log.
I'm not entirely sure what you think I should do, here. I do have an error log in the original post. Both games on both profiles are fresh installs. Which files should I compare?

As always, thank both of you for taking the time out of your day to come and help! I do appreciate it.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

And since it works for the test account, and not for me
First log from game from test account.
And second log from your account.
But, I can't trace the start of this issue to any installation of anything.
If you use Synaptic package manager viewtopic.php?p=1996601#p1996601
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whackjob »

Ok, now this is wild. I've logged between my admin account and my user accounts. Stand by for spam!

Test account log:

steam.sh[106375]: Running Steam on linuxmint 20.3 64-bit
steam.sh[106375]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[106451]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[106375]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied
ExecCommandLine: "'/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam' '-nominidumps' '-nobreakpad' 'steam://rungameid/881100'"
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
esync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0PROTON_LOG=1 /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 881100 "PROTON_LOG=1 /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 106832, IP 0.0.0.0:0
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106957
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106955
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106954
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106953
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106835
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106960
Game process updated : AppID 881100 "PROTON_LOG=1 /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 106956, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Game process updated : AppID 881100 "PROTON_LOG=1 /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 107030, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Steam: An X Error occurred
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id in failed request:  0x1
Serial number of failed request:  9
xerror_handler: X failed, continuing
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20230324172019)/tid(107047)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)/tid(107047)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)/tid(107066)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)/tid(107081)
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 107007
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106993
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106987
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106965
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106962
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106956
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106952
Game process removed: AppID 881100 "PROTON_LOG=1 /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/test/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/test/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 107030 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 107030
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106974
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106834
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 106833
Game 881100 created interface STEAMREMOTESTORAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION014 / 
Game 881100 created interface STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION013 / 
Game 881100 created interface STEAMUSERSTATS_INTERFACE_VERSION011 / 
Game 881100 created interface SteamController007 / Controller
Game 881100 created interface SteamInput001 / Controller
Game 881100 created interface SteamUser020 / 
Game 881100 created interface SteamUser020 / User
Game 881100 created interface SteamUtils009 / 
Game 881100 created interface SteamUtils009 / Utils
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUGC::GetItemInstallInfo : 38
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUGC::GetItemState : 40
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUGC::GetSubscribedItems : 40
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUGC::GetNumSubscribedItems : 40
Game 881100 method call count for IClientRemoteStorage::IsCloudEnabledForApp : 1
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUserStats::RequestCurrentStats : 1
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 10
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 13
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 1
Game 881100 method call count for IClientUser::BLoggedOn : 1

(process:107047): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:19:56.932: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
src/steamexe/main.cpp (255) : Assertion Failed: reaping pid: 107047 -- gameoverlayui

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1679680416)/tid(104879)
No minidump written, nothing to upload.
Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
Admin account:

steam.sh[114088]: Running Steam on linuxmint 20.3 64-bit
steam.sh[114088]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
setup.sh[114156]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!
steam.sh[114088]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied
ExecCommandLine: "'/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam' '-nominidumps' '-nobreakpad' 'steam://rungameid/881100'"
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 881100 "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 114263, IP 0.0.0.0:0
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 881100, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""

(steam:112759): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 19:28:32.511: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:112759): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 19:28:32.511: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:112759): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 19:28:32.512: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:112759): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: 19:28:32.512: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

Resource id in failed request:  0x3e00099
Serial number of failed request:  25
Game process removed: AppID 881100 "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=881100 -- /home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/whackjob/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Noita/noita.exe'", ProcID 114263 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 114266
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 114265
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 114264
Now, I remind all, the Test Account is the one that works!

Here's what all changed via synaptic package manager, around when this went awry. Not sure what specific day that was, so here's the last half-month.

[b]Commit Log for Tue Mar 14 21:25:04 2023[/b]
Upgraded the following packages:
base-files (20.3.0) to 20.3.1
chromium (110.0.5481.100~linuxmint1+una) to 111.0.5563.64~linuxmint1+una
python-apt-common (2.0.1) to 2.0.1ubuntu0.20.04.1
python3-apt (2.0.1) to 2.0.1ubuntu0.20.04.1
shim-signed (1.40.7+15.4-0ubuntu9) to 1.40.9+15.7-0ubuntu1

[b]Commit Log for Fri Mar 17 10:43:05 2023[/b]
chrome-remote-desktop (111.0.5563.12) to 112.0.5615.18
firefox-locale-en (110.0.1+linuxmint1+una) to 111.0+linuxmint1+una
firefox-locale-ja (110.0.1+linuxmint1+una) to 111.0+linuxmint1+una
krb5-locales (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libgssapi-krb5-2 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libgssapi-krb5-2:i386 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libk5crypto3 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libk5crypto3:i386 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libkrb5-3 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libkrb5-3:i386 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libkrb5support0 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3
libkrb5support0:i386 (1.17-6ubuntu4.2) to 1.17-6ubuntu4.3

[b]Commit Log for Mon Mar 20 10:36:51 2023[/b]
libpython3.8 (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
libpython3.8-dev (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
libpython3.8-minimal (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
libpython3.8-stdlib (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
python3.8 (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
python3.8-dev (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
python3.8-minimal (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7
python3.8-venv (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.6) to 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04.7

[b]Commit Log for Mon Mar 20 21:53:25 2023[/b]
curl (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.16) to 7.68.0-1ubuntu2.18
imagemagick-6-common (8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.5) to 8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.6
libcurl3-gnutls (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.16) to 7.68.0-1ubuntu2.18
libcurl3-gnutls:i386 (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.16) to 7.68.0-1ubuntu2.18
libcurl4 (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.16) to 7.68.0-1ubuntu2.18
libmagickcore-6.q16-6 (8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.5) to 8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.6
libmagickwand-6.q16-6 (8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.5) to 8:6.9.10.23+dfsg-2.1ubuntu11.6
vim-common (2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.11) to 2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.12
vim-tiny (2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.11) to 2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.12
xxd (2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.11) to 2:8.1.2269-1ubuntu5.12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

1. Try without this option on admin account if you have set

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1
2. Just a curiosity.
Supposedly it can find recently modified files. But it's (the result of the command) probably good for the developer.

find $HOME -type f -newermt 2023-03-17 ! -newermt 2023-04-04  -printf "\n%AD %p"
3. Can't find anything else that makes sense. Maybe someone else can help you.

4. As a last resort, if you don't find a solution,
You can try to create a new administrator account.
If it will work with a new account, then fine.
- I don't know if that will be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waehiTIuOFI
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [RESOLVED!] Very Strange problem with Steam, some games crash immediately

Post by Whackjob »

Resolution FOUND! BREW seems to have been the cause!

Long story short, I think the problem was linux_utils. Brew installs its own version of that. So I thrashed around like a maniac doing damage until I managed to kill it.
For the sake of expediency, here's what I did for the resolution. (It's copying and pasting weird, I put it in a text document, but pasting it here breaks everything. Odd)
brew uninstall util-linux
(This tells me I can't because curl, git, and openldap all depend on it)
brew uninstall curl
brew uninstall git
brew uninstall openldap
brew uninstall util-linux
(this works finally)
brew autoremove
(27 unneeded formulae are removed)

After this I ran Noita, and it didn't crash right away, but I got no screen. So, I rebooted, ran Noita, and I'm in!
Apparently RESOLVED!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Whackjob wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:54 am Well, yeah, the other one was posted just under games. I figured posting under support might attract some attention and some ideas.
Please [8] Do Not Cross-Post. Forum rules permit you to make ONE topic for an issue.

I will be merging your two topics and deleting the duplicate posts. Steam topics belong in Gaming.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Whackjob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [RESOLVED!!] Some steam games just open and close

Post by Whackjob »

Understood! Apologies, and thank you!

Return to “Gaming”