[SOLVED] How make dualboot with 2 linux OS?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NoHo Hank
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] How make dualboot with 2 linux OS?

Post by NoHo Hank »

Trying to install lmde5 next to LM21.1 so as dualboot. There is a lot of info about windows and linux dualboot. Cant find any for this combination though.
Ive been messing around a bit but prefer not to end in a catastrophy. Can anyone explain how to proceed?
#1Image
#2Image
#3Image
#4Image
#5Image
#6Image
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Demand technology that serves us - https://peoplevsbig.tech/
None of Your Business https://noyb.eu/en
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How make dualboot with 2 linux OS?

Post by dave0808 »

Assuming that sda4 is area of disc that you want to use, I would simply select it as the place where you want to install LMDE. If it complains, then you can delete this partition first, in gparted before running the installer.

In your last image you look to be splitting the partition into something smaller, which you can obviously do and make use of both partitions, say one for / and one for /home.

Shortly after the manual partition options of the installer, you'll be prompted as to where to install the bootloader. If you install it (on sda), then your LMDE install will be "in charge" of the boot menu and will offer LMDE, then Mint XFCE. If you don't install the bootloader, then Mint XFCE will remain "in charge" as it is now. When you reboot, you won't see LMDE at first, because the Mint install won't be aware of it. You'll need to boot into Mint, then run a grub-update so that it can run the probe for other O/Ss and add LMDE into its grub menu.
NoHo Hank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NoHo Hank »

dave0808 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:23 am In your last image you look to be splitting the partition into something smaller, which you can obviously do
No i am forced to make a new partition showing in pic #5. This time a went for it.
Shortly after the manual partition options of the installer, you'll be prompted as to where to install the bootloader. If you install it (on sda), then your LMDE install will be "in charge" of the boot menu and will offer LMDE,
Not so since i am trying to do a DUAL install. The new partition has to be used for /. Youre info is correct when doing a SINGLE install.
Nonetheless thanks for trying to help.
Demand technology that serves us - https://peoplevsbig.tech/
None of Your Business https://noyb.eu/en
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

NoHo Hank wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:35 am Not so since i am trying to do a DUAL install. The new partition has to be used for /. Youre info is correct when doing a SINGLE install.
Nonetheless thanks for trying to help.
You have misunderstood what I was saying, though that doesn't seem to matter now.

For sure I know you were trying to get dualboot. It's in the title :D In addition, you were trying to achieve exactly the same setup as I have on one of my machines.
medea
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] How make dualboot with 2 linux OS?

Post by medea »

@NoHo Hank

Hey NoHo Hank,

I see that this thread and question has been solved, but I wanted to add (in case you get stuck with this in future), I made myself a linux and linux dualboot system following the excellent instructions in this video tutorial (which covers lots of different permutations of dualboot linux).

How to Dualboot and Multiboot Linux (and Windows)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Crleyglb4mo

I found it very clearly presented, the information was staged logically, and it also troubleshoots various different workarounds to overcome many problems that can crop up when you mix distros. I found it a kind of 'swiss army knife tutorial' for this aim.

I would class myself a Linux beginner (I've been 'Linux Mint only' for a year or two, but have not tried to do anything crazy or off-grid with regard to tweaking my system), but I was able to create a dualboot linux + linux system using just this (after trying a few other tutorials which didn't work for me).
So I post it in the hope that you find it a valuable resource, if not now then in future.

The only thing I used not addressed in the video was using 'grub customizer' (in linux software manager) to set the boot order of my two linux systems in the order I wanted them.

Good luck with your linuxing and all the best.

Medea.
be a good animal.

Return to “Installation & Boot”