How to add existing installation to GPT?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrogaMleczna
Level 1
Level 1

How to add existing installation to GPT?

Post by DrogaMleczna »

Hi all,
My old laptop died recently while Windows 10 was running, corrupting it. In my new device, I have a new Windows drive and the old data/Mint drive. However, the GPT partition with GRUB was on the old Windows drive, so now I can't boot into Mint. Do I have to reinstall Mint, or can I fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: How to add existing installation to GPT?

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

If I understood what you said, there was two disk on old laptop the one with Windows and most probably EFI partition with Mint UEFI loader, and the other one you attached to new PC with Mint's root.

If it is so, yes, you only will need to reinstall grub but first you need to be sure the way Windows is installed now (UEFI or BIOS), to boot Linux MInt live USB and reinstall grub accordingly (see tutorial here). Also you will need to change EFI partition UUID on Mint's root /etc/fstab file.

To confirm what it is supposed and recollect information you will need, It is worth you boot Linux Mint Live USB and run Boot Repair (Menu> Administration>Boot Repair) with Bootinfo summary option to post back url when offered or post back following codes result .

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
mokutil -sb-state
sudo efibootmgr -v
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Installation & Boot”