Which distro for very poor hardware notebook?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NoHo Hank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NoHo Hank »

On the most simple Acer Switch notebook (29GB ssd + 2gb ram, win8, Atom) but with touchscreen we would like to install LMDE5.
You can take the keyboard from the screen and then its still working with touchscreen.

Is this a good idea, or would it be better to install MATE or Xfce? Do they support touchscreen?
It did liveboot on LMDE5.
Will be used only as e book reader with Calibre probably.
https://i.ibb.co/qJW8Hwb/rae.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Demand technology that serves us - https://peoplevsbig.tech/
None of Your Business https://noyb.eu/en
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Which distro for very poor hardware notebook?

Post by spamegg »

LMDE5 comes with Cinnamon only, it might be too heavy and the RAM probably won't be enough.

antiX, Slax and Bodhi are good distro choices. You might also go even further and use a live-only distro like Puppy.
MarkTheMorose
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MarkTheMorose »

I second the mention of antix; I've had it installed on various old / low-spec devices including an Intel Atom netbook with just 1GB of RAM. Of note, that particular Atom is a 32-bit CPU, and antix has a 32-bit edition.

Of course, 1GB of RAM and a slow CPU limits what it can do, but it can still be used.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hi, I would give LXLE a try.

https://lxle.net/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Should boot that ol' box with your LMDE live stick and post the text output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
here, need some real specs.

Light distros like Antix, which I'm going to install on my POS netbook very soon, are great for old boxes but configuring a touchscreen would be a major PITA with them. Part of being really lightweight is not having all those nice GUI config tools.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Post by axrusar »

Tiny Core Linux.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I put Linux Mint with Cinnamon on everything (40+ installations) including an ASUS TP200 with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. I've just been running it a few minutes ago describing Linux to a visitor.

Burn a USB stick and try things. It will be slower with a stick but will show how things will work.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I put Q4OS 32bit (Debian) on an Asus EeePC with 2Gb ram/200Gb SSD and it flies!
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Perhaps you could upgrade your ram to even 4gb.
That will keep swap usage down.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

To state the obvious, to have a more usable computer, if possible, upgrade that to 'at least' 4GB of RAM (although if you plan on using it more regularly, 8GB of RAM would be best as beyond that it's probably not worth it for general usage). because with 2GB of RAM that's a obvious problem as while it's just barely usable at that range, it's limited to light usage with only 2GB of RAM because a web browser will go past 2GB of RAM quickly.

p.s. personally I use Xfce on all three of my computers as it's a safer choice in general over Cinnamon/MATE in my experience.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”