Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
manny

Re: Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic

Post by manny »

Downloaded from servers because torrents wasn't working at that time. Burned ISO and booted from DVD. I can't install the OS, it fails to format the partition. For any reason Partition Manager is not working properly on my external USB HDD. Gparted has no problems on creating and formating the partitions. Have any one experienced the same problems? I may download again using torrent this time and see if makes a difference. :(
Husse

Post by Husse »

manny - check the md5sum
Everybody - please check the md5sum before posting here
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

kmb42vt wrote:
caris_mere wrote: One other question. I use pidgin, and in the main edition of Mint 8 there is the possibility of having Facebook chat within pidgin. How do I get that within KDE? Why isn't it there?
KDE has it's own set of default applications which doesn't include Pidgin . You can easily install it from the "Software Manager" or the "Synaptic" Package Manager though. Remember, the "Blue Mint" basically draws from the same repositories as the "Green Mint" so what you don't see you can probably get easily enough.
I know how to get pidgin. I already had it installed when I wrote. What I would like is the Facebook chat that is in the main edition. It is not there when I install in KDE.
manny

Post by manny »

Usse. The md5sum is correct. I read on another post some one had the same problem on an external HDD, he said it formats the drive but the progress bar remains to zero, same case as mine.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Bugs I've found in Toshiba laptop Satellite A100-755:
1. No sound at all. Solution: click on "mixer" and rise level volume on PCM; however, sound icon still shows "volume at 0%" (HDA Intel had no effect, either mute selected or not).
2. When I insert an audioCD, Device Notifier says "Volume" and displays audioCD icon, but the options it offers for playing (play with amarok or with KsCD) do nothing when selected; open with dolphin, in contrast, works perfectly.
3.KsCD and Amarok are unable to play audioCDs; in contrast, with Gnome MPlayer and VLC, no problem. Amarok is only able to play audio CD when using previously Gnome MPlayer to do that; however, even after doing that, you have to wait about 30-45 secs to start listening to the music with amarok.
4. Openoffice writer: if I am working on a text document and I want to create a new one, I have to wait for a long time to see the latter opened; later, when I begin to write in one of the two documents, there is a big delay until I see on the screen the letters I've been typing.
I will continue trying this very nice distro. I hope these comments will help to refine the final version.
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

when I right click on a folder in dolphin and select <Properties> then click the <Share> tab, then click the <Configure File Sharing...> button, nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@vinnievegas

Can you check the Package Manager, and make sure you have smbfs and smbclient installed, if not, install them. :)

richy
vinnievegas

Post by vinnievegas »

vinnievegas wrote:when I right click on a folder in dolphin and select <Properties> then click the <Share> tab, then click the <Configure File Sharing...> button, nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
OK... heres how i solve my issue.
When clicking the <Configure File Sharing...> button i wasn't getting a root dialogue, so I researched, and found that the problem is upstream. Samba server not starting at boot, so I had to 'sudo service samba restart'.
Now when clicking <Configure File Sharing...> button i get the root dialogue now, but after entering the password, nothing happened. So.. I researched more and found I didn't have 'kdenetwork-filesharing' installed. So... I installed it and all is good. Never the less, this stuff worked out of the box with mint 7 kde ce, and should be fixed in mint 8 kde ce.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

With respect to sound problems I've reported previously, Gnome MPlayer only plays first seven songs of audioCD. I have installed Rhythmbox and this app works perfectly. I have seen similar problem in other KDE4 distros (Kubuntu Karmic, OpenSuse 11.2 KDE, LinuxMint 7 KDE).
Sorry, but more problems:
1) I'm unable to mount automatically one vfat partition; I followed same steps as in LinuxMint 7 KDE (in fact, copy and paste the line in fstab relative to that partition), but after restart, the system did not mount the partition, and if I try mounting manually with dolphin the system says there is not such a mounting point.
2)I've installed crossover successfully (easier for me than wine), but it does not respond to commands from Application Launcher Menu; menu edition shows command OK (for example, sh -c '"/home/username/cxoffice/bin/cxrun"'), but the application only runs if I click directly on the file (in the example, "cxrun") after navigating by folders. Curiously, I can open microsoft office documents with their original software simply by clicking the file. It seems that there is a "missing link" for Application Launcher Menu. I had same problem with Kubuntu Karmic, but then I could run cxoffice with Kickoff launcher; after answering a confirmation question about the application I was going to run, it worked. And curiously, after that, it was like if classic launcher recovered memory and I could use either.
Thank you
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

Previously, I wrote I was unable to mount automatically one vfat partition. I tried typing manually in "fstab" the information relative to the partition, instead of the previous "copy and paste" approach (line from fstab on Linux Mint 7 KDE partition to that of 8 RC1) and, I don't know why, it worked!
Bugs concerning audioCDs (KDE players don't play them), OpenOffice (delay when several documents opened) and Application Launcher (unable to load CrossOver), remain the same.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

mf-linux wrote:Previously, I wrote I was unable to mount automatically one vfat partition. I tried typing manually in "fstab" the information relative to the partition, instead of the previous "copy and paste" approach (line from fstab on Linux Mint 7 KDE partition to that of 8 RC1) and, I don't know why, it worked!
Bugs concerning audioCDs (KDE players don't play them), OpenOffice (delay when several documents opened) and Application Launcher (unable to load CrossOver), remain the same.
I can say now that the problems concerning OpenOffice and Application Launcher are solved. The first one, I don't know how or why: it seems as if the application needed to be ran several times to perform smoothly. With respect to Application Launcher, I run Crossover from Lancelot and the following message appeared: "Warning-Lancelot
This will start the program:
sh -c '"/home/mintuser/cxoffice/bin/cxinstallwizard"'
If you do not trust this program, click Cancel"
Then, I clicked "Continue", the program started, and since then I can load it from the "Application Launcher Menu".
(I was wrong when in a previous comment said that I had done this with Kickoff in Kubuntu Karmic, actually was Lancelot). What I don't know is the reason for this.
donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donnshaffer »

Just installed to my Thinkpad T500. Looks and sounds great.

Two minor points, on the partitioning part of the install, I went to the advanced screen to use partitions I had previously set up. The window showing the partitions was small and couldn't be maximized. I couldn't read the abbreviated partition labels. I was able to figure out (guess) which partition to install to, so it wasn't a big problem.

Also, it appears the kernel isn't pae so it doesn't see all 4 gb of memory. The regular Mint 8 with Gnome does have a pae kernel. Ant chance we could get the pae kernel with the final release? If not, what would it take to get it? Is there a loadable module? Could I copy the regular Mint 8 kernel over? or recompile?

Thanks for a great release.

Donn
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Can't close Tucan Manager

Post by kmb42vt »

While banging around RC1 trying things out I noticed I can't close the Tucan Manager no matter whether I cancel or not. Seems that there's another who also saw this on the KDE Update thread. I recommended that they repost here.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

HP Pavillion dv6000

1. Audo. did not work, save for bootup sound and shutdown sound. I downloaded pulseaudio and it works find. Kmix does not work. I open the program and it doesn't do anything and crashes without ever opening up.

2. Logout doesn't work.

3. Webcam with skype ( fixed it with : bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype' from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

Other than not being able to switch to either IBUS or SCIM setting for Japanese input (probably not a bug) I am blown away with LM KDE 8. Simply brilliant. Thank you!
GroMmiT

Post by GroMmiT »

Hello,

Firstly. Awesome distro. I have trialled several linux distros over the last few years trying desperately to convert from M$ and now I hope I have found the one. :)
My install went flawlessly and things are going well.

Here are two things I have notice that may be simple to fix for the official release.

1. I am running Mint on a laptop with a broken screen, therefore I have a separate monitor plugged in. I can see two monitors in the 'Display' properties, and have disabled the orig laptop screen, but when I start Mint from a reboot etc, my resolution is wrong. But, as soon as I double click the Display properties, boom, it fixes the res automatically and everything looks lovely again. It doesn't seem to retain the fact that I have disabled the laptop screen. I believe this has something to do with the original laptop monitor taking president over the plugged in one, but I'm not 100% on that. Not sure what is needed here but as stated it is fixed by simply running the display properties...?

2. In 'Software Manager', after clicking of 'More info', I click on a website link provided and nothing happens. But if I have a firefox window open when clicking the link, it works fine. (So basically, it needs to run the default browser first and then the link.)

Apart from those, sailing seems to be quite smooth at the moment.

Please advise if anyone needs any more info. Great job guys!

EDIT: This is not a bug as such but, I'd like to know if there is a way to see how big a program will be in total, ie. How big to download and how much space is required. I thought I remember this being a feature of a previous ubuntu install, but now I can't find a way to see that info. Cheers.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

Well, I repost it here:
I'm running Mint 8 KDE RC1 live at the moment. It works nice. :D BT-mouse, WLAN, and network printer configuration, all works perfect. The only problem is that I can't close the "Tucan Manager" window I happened to open by mistake....? :?
By the way, there is no battery status indicator by default in the panel - which Gnome has by default.
(I am testing on my Asus Aspire One notebook and I use an USB-stick created with unetbootin) :)
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

It seems there are some stability problems:

1) bug concerning automatic mounting of partitions, that I thought was solved, has turned back. I have a Folder View pointing to a folder into a vfat partition: the system does not mount automatically the partition, so I receive the message "folder does not exist...etc". When trying mounting manually with dolphin, the following message appears:"An error occurred while accessing the "Volume (vfat)", the system responded: [mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab mount: mount point /media/disk does not exist". However, the line is actually there!: "dev/sda2 /media/disk vfat iocharset=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0".

2) Sound problems also turned back: at the startup, no sound at all and the following message appears on the Kmixer/audio icon on right lower corner: "Phonon multimedia library - The audio/playback device HDA Intel (ALC861 Analog) does not respond - Falling back to ...Pulse Audio" (more or less, the message dissapears quickly). Then, I go to System Settings, Multimedia, Device Preferences and click on test: the two options with PulseAudio do not work, but after clicking once or several times (variable) on HDA Intel, the test works and I hear the sound. However, music players still have no sound, in spite they are really playing (cursor moves). I reviewed PCM level in Kmixer and it is OK.

Really, I do not understand what is going on with this issues. Please, let me know if you need more information (and how to get it: logs, -dbg, etc; I am only a longstanding linux user -4 years-, not an expert at all). I hope we can get a final version as free of bugs as possible. Anyway, thank you again for the nice work, these are only details in an overall very good and friendly distro.
mf-linux

Post by mf-linux »

tux-sven wrote:Well, I repost it here:
I'm running Mint 8 KDE RC1 live at the moment. It works nice. :D BT-mouse, WLAN, and network printer configuration, all works perfect. The only problem is that I can't close the "Tucan Manager" window I happened to open by mistake....? :?
By the way, there is no battery status indicator by default in the panel - which Gnome has by default.
(I am testing on my Asus Aspire One notebook and I use an USB-stick created with unetbootin) :)
Yes, I have experienced the same problem. I could close Tucan only when I accepted to enable one service, then the main window of the program appeared and I could close (previously I could even deselect the service). This seems to occur the firs time the program is loaded, because I ran it repeatedly after, and I could cancel every window which appeared.
manny

Post by manny »

Husse, as per my previous post, here is a more detailed explanation of the problem. When selecting the partition where I want KDE to be installed the progress bar of "formating" remains to 0%. However, the formatting and installation continues on the background. I got the progress bar at 15% of "installing system". I was able, finally, to install the OS and so far I'm loving it.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

computer : desktop Acer Aspire SA 80-G96Z, intel Celeron D 2,7 MHZ, 2GiB memory, NVidia GeForce 5000, 128 MiB memory, sound on board.

Bugs ( partly solved )

yesterday installation failed completely. So I downloaded the ISO one time more over torrent and risked one more DVD,
Installation worked this time but took nearly two hours. the way to small installation gui could not be maximized, so I had to have my nose on the screen. not good.
While the live DVD asked me to install the NVidia driver, this did not happen here after the install. When I click on hardwaredriver in the menu therefore a little window pops up, runs some things and then shows me the gui for activation the driver. Clicking on that has no effect other than that the shown drivers are grayed out. And that's all.

edit begin :
ok, I tried it again and after waiting 10 minutes the driver began to got downloaded this time. But as I mentioned before (in Main and in x64, the NVidia xserver settings can't be merged in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' so I have no consistent resolution. This I think is a really annoying bug. Even Windows does better in this case.
edit end

Sound is ok. All other looks pretty good.

But somebody should fire up the iron, to get the wrinkles out.

H.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”