<SOLVED> Alt key is not registering on any software.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Alt key is not registering on any software.

Post by izzijaz »

Both alt keys are not being registered by any software. Alt tab doesn't work, or with any other software alt combos doesn't work.

I opened evtest, selected my keyboard and pressed alt. I can see alt key being registered on the terminal. But why isn't alt not working on every software i use? Cant even open terminal with alt shortcut.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.

Re: Alt key is not registering on any software.

Post by Cosmo. »

Can you reproduce the issue in the live system?
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:35 am Can you reproduce the issue in the live system?
Has been happening for months now. I don't know how to reproduce this. All i remember is suddenly alt key stopped working. I first thought it was a keyboard issue, now i checked inputs yesterday and know its not keyboard thats the issue.
Cosmo.

Post by Cosmo. »

Perhaps it is me, but I can not see any relationship between my question and the following answer(?).
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:41 pm Perhaps it is me, but I can not see any relationship between my question and the following answer(?).
Maybe I didn't understand the question fully. What did you mean by live system?
Cosmo.

Post by Cosmo. »

The live system is the dvd or usb stick, which you created for installing Mint.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Create a live boot USB:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=357855
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html

Every LM user should have a Live Boot USB and a Timeshift snapshot:

Code: Select all

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2066543#p2066543
autodctr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autodctr »

Have you tried another keyboard to be sure that it isn't a problem with your kb?
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:45 am The live system is the dvd or usb stick, which you created for installing Mint.
Ill try this out
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

autodctr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:39 am Have you tried another keyboard to be sure that it isn't a problem with your kb?
It does work on the live system
Cosmo.

Post by Cosmo. »

So we know, that the hardware is not the problem.

Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it behave there?
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

autodctr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:39 am Have you tried another keyboard to be sure that it isn't a problem with your kb?
I used the input tester, using terminal sudo evtest then choosing my keyboard, i can see all input from keyboard when i press a key. Alt key gets displayed on the terminal when its pressed so that means not a keyboard issue.

I booted the live system and the alt key works. So i checked the layout options and found the issue to be the "3rd level" option. I have it set as bolt alt keys. Unticking that and leaving it as default fixed the issue.
izzijaz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by izzijaz »

Cosmo. wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:28 pm So we know, that the hardware is not the problem.

Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it behave there?
Issue was in the layout section. Alt was set as third level.

Return to “Beginner Questions”