Solved: LMDE5 Can't connect to Windows share

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Solved: LMDE5 Can't connect to Windows share

Post by DanielR »

I have just installed LMDE5 and wanted to connect to a Windows share (HDD on a WDTV Live) like I did on my LMDE3 (in Nemo "Connect to Server" and then the IP of the WDTV Live box as Windows share). However all I get is the error message: "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Software caused connection abort"

On LMDE3 this feature worked out of the box. What am I missing or doing wrong in LMDE5 here?

I also tried to connect to the WDTV in Nemo Network list. I get the same error message.

Update: I found a/the solution in Unix StackExchange https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ion-failed

First I looked up the network name using

Code: Select all

findsmb
I then used

smbclient -L [NAME]
to display the possible cause for the connection problem. In my case it was

protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED
With this message I searched the net and found the answer.

All there was to do was using vi/vim/gvim to edit the smb.conf config file as follows:

(sudo) vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
I had to add the following settings under GLOBAL:

client min protocol = CORE
client max protocol = SMB3
After that I could connect to my share on the WDTV Live box like I was used to from my older systems (LM13, LMDE2,LMDE3).
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”