xdotool mousemove x y - no mouse move visible

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barhaqodes
Level 3
Level 3

xdotool mousemove x y - no mouse move visible

Post by barhaqodes »

Hello,
I have installed Mint 20 and I am trying to use program `xdotool mousemove` to move mouse. I can simulate mouse clicks with it, but I am quite not sure what happens with the mouse cursor because it does not seem to move. I consulted this with chatGPT and it did not found any solution. I'm aware of chatGPT limitations, he is often wrong and suggests stupid suggestions disregarding the context or condition I've passed to it. So maybe you know where is the problem that I don't see the mouse move. In WIndows I used to use ahk/autohotkey to simulate mouse move and clicks. Yet ChatGPT suggested that maybe I don't have enougth privilleges but why I can use the clicks then? And the sudo command preceding does not help? Yet I revieved suggestions to use python libraries instead, but I wanted a simple program to run from bash just like xdotool. So this does not make any sense why it does not work.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: xdotool mousemove x y - no mouse move visible

Post by mikeflan »

Please supply the exact command used and the terminal response if any.

Please try:

Code: Select all

xdotool mousemove 200 400
What is the response?

Also try:

Code: Select all

xdotool getmouselocation
What is the response?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

barhaqodes

If what mikeflan suggestion does not = you seeing your mouse moved..... then I have a suggestion that leans towards wondering if you're on a dual boot system with Windows and Linux Mint on the same drive ( which I never recommend regardless. ))

If that is the case, boot into Windows, disable " quick boot" aka fast start, disable that same thing inside UEFI/BIOS menu too. Disable secure boot. restart the PC and then boot back into the Linux world and try again.

I use xdotool daily in Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon and have never had a problem ( no Windows dual boot though..just pure 100% Linux Mint Cinnamon here ).

When all else fails...nuke xdotool and reinstall it

sudo apt remove xdotool -y

sudo apt purge xdotool -y

sudo apt install xdotool -y
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
barhaqodes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by barhaqodes »

I recalled, chatGPT says VM might be the problem, because VM Ware can block the mouse control. What is quick boot? Or where I can find it in UEFI? But because I never had problem using AHK on Windows, I think the problem is the VM thing.

Edit:
I found interesting suggestion here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/359 ... -vmware-vm

1) "This MAY be an answer : On an host Linux Mint 17 / guest in Linux Mint 18.1, the mouse doesn't seems to move (visualy, the mouse pointer doesn't move). But if you add a "xdotool click 1", you'll see the click is on the correct mouse position."
2) This may be the answer Edit the .vmx file in virtual machine directory and add the line:

vmmouse.present = "FALSE"
(source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/145 ... are-player)

Return to “Software & Applications”