RE-Virtual Programs

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

RE-Virtual Programs

Post by JesseRBassett »

Hello all,
Just curious what VM program everyone uses on Mint. Personally I use QEMU/KVM. I feel it runs smooth and is not buggy like VirtualBox is. Let's chat!
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: RE-Virtual Programs

Post by coffee412 »

Ill chat :)

I use Virtualbox because its basically easy to work with. I have not really had any problems with it as long as your computer is setup correctly. For me its easy to clone a vm or export it for backup too. Just works for me. I never really tried out qemm or anything just for the fact that VB did the job and I never had a reason to try another.

I have had users tell me that qemm is better and uses less resources. However, Resources are not an issue with my systems. I have VB running on some client servers and mine. The only thing that ever bugged me about VB is that Oracle does not seem to have a link to their guest additions files on their download page. So, I have to do a search and then bookmark for their file server. :)

What problems did you have?
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

One of the main problems I had with Virtualbox is on my main pc when I would install say Windows10 and close the VM, it would then go back to the installation screen as opposed to the login screen of the newly installed guest-OS. Qemu/KVM does not do that.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

JesseRBassett wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:02 pm One of the main problems I had with Virtualbox is on my main pc when I would install say Windows10 and close the VM, it would then go back to the installation screen as opposed to the login screen of the newly installed guest-OS. Qemu/KVM does not do that.
That sounds like just a boot priority setting in VB. You can go into Settings/Storage and adjust the boot order. Im running version 6.x btw.

I am a firm believer in "To each their own". Basically what works for you is fine so Iam not knocking KVM/Qemu at all.

I had someone talk me into trying out the latest container software - I forget the name of it. However, It just seemed to be a lot more work than what it was worth. I cannot remember the name right now though. Its not flatpaks or anything similar. My preference at this point is that I need to be able to spin up a VM quickly from scratch or import a VM for my clients. Downtime is something important to them. So, Thats why VB does ok. Im not saying its the best or anything like that. It just kinda works for me.

I might delve back into kvm/qemu if I get some spare time. Right now I have been pretty active in setting up reverse proxies and nextcloud for clients.

I would like to spin up some nextcloud project for my clients (I repair and maintain servers, computers) to add a bit more income. Just have not come up with the best idea's yet. So, Its on the back burner for now. :)
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

coffee412 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:43 pm The only thing that ever bugged me about VB is that Oracle does not seem to have a link to their guest additions files on their download page. So, I have to do a search and then bookmark for their file server. :)
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Guest Additions
Guest Additions
:)
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The Extension Pack is not Guest Additions, they do two different things.

Guest additions are automatically included in the VirtualBox download.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

Ugh, quite right. Brain clearly hasn't woken up yet. Guest additions are available from the 'Devices' menu and should prompt you to download them when you click the option if you haven't already got them.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Well this is odd. So I am using another HDD with mint cinnamon 21 on it right. I go to the Virtualbox and click open and it opens the OS, not the setup file. I like it when things like that just work OOTB.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

JesseRBassett wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:13 pm Well this is odd. So I am using another HDD with mint cinnamon 21 on it right. I go to the Virtualbox and click open and it opens the OS, not the setup file. I like it when things like that just work OOTB.
What setup file are we talking about?
Go to the Virtualbox?

Im sorry, Im not following you. :(
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

coffee412,
Once installed, boot up to Desktop. Guest additions is available from the 'Devices' menu.
Other than that, Oracle VM works faultlessly as long as one gets the latest release from the Oracle website.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Peter Linu wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:59 pm coffee412,
Once installed, boot up to Desktop. Guest additions is available from the 'Devices' menu.
Other than that, Oracle VM works faultlessly as long as one gets the latest release from the Oracle website.
I think the way it works is that IF you download VB from the repo then you get the GS package. If you grab it from Oracle then its a separate download that you hunt for. I have downloaded from Oracle just to get the latest/greatest.

I do not have a problem getting the GS package either way its just Oracle could make it easier.

Thank you.
FirePuff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FirePuff »

+1 for VirtualBox.
It is on every platform out there, and it has enough options to set up a pretty nice VM, but not too much to be 5 hours reading manuals.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

I figured out my issue with VB. It was something I did not know I was doing lol. Silly me. :P
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

JesseRBassett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:40 pm I figured out my issue with VB. It was something I did not know I was doing lol. Silly me. :P
Care to elaborate on that? Would love to know what the fix was. Others reading this in the future might want to know also.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

coffee412 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm If you grab it from Oracle then its a separate download that you hunt for. I have downloaded from Oracle just to get the latest/greatest.
Incorrect, I always install VB direct from oracle and guest additions is built-in. It's the other way round, in the repos guest additions is separate:
Screenshot from 2023-06-16 23-33-51.png
I've never had any real issues with VB over six years. The reason I haven't tried any of the alternatives is that my win7 licence is locked to my win7 VM. Still using VB6.1 as my win7 VM does not work well with VB7.0.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:18 pm
JesseRBassett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:40 pm I figured out my issue with VB. It was something I did not know I was doing lol. Silly me. :P
Care to elaborate on that? Would love to know what the fix was. Others reading this in the future might want to know also.
Sure. I was not saving the file correctly in the settings. It made it so I couldn't boot the new OS on VB. I cannot explain anymore than that because the wording is more technical than I can type up right now.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

AndyMH wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:37 pm
coffee412 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:58 pm If you grab it from Oracle then its a separate download that you hunt for. I have downloaded from Oracle just to get the latest/greatest.
Incorrect, I always install VB direct from oracle and guest additions is built-in. It's the other way round, in the repos guest additions is separate:
Interesting. Perhaps I never saw it and just did the extra step in searching for it and downloading it. Good to know. That is actually kinda funny that all these years I have been going to their site and downloading GuestAdditions - lol.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Easy choice - virt-machine runs faster than virtual box.

Return to “Open Chat”