VirtualBox Virtual Machine: Upgrading Linux Mint Version [solved]

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
11Rupees
Level 2
Level 2

VirtualBox Virtual Machine: Upgrading Linux Mint Version [solved]

Post by 11Rupees »

Linux Mint MATE 19.3
Virtualbox Version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.12 . 8 )

I have Linux Mint MATE 19.3 running as a virtual machine in Virtualbox. It's a very basic installation without any bells and whistles. I would like to update to Linux Mint to Linux Mint MATE 21.1 or Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1. (I am currently undecided but I can decide shortly.)

I do see information online about updating, instead of reinstalling. This method is appealing to me because it saves times. I am really not concerned about things going wrong as long as there isn’t much risk to my host operating system.

Are the steps of doing an upgrade applicable to me, given that this is a virtual machine?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, 64 bit (unless stated otherwise)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: VirtualBox Virtual Machine: Upgrading Linux Mint Version

Post by ajgreeny »

It should make no difference that the OS being updated is a VM and not a full bare metal install, though I have to warn that I've never updated versions of Mint or other Linux distro as it is so quick and simple to clean install; that is how I have always moved from version to version so wait to see what others feel.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I recommend that whatever you decide to do - clone your original first. Then work on your original. If it screws up you still have the clone. So there is no loss.

Upgrading will not affect the host operating system.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
11Rupees
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 11Rupees »

I ended up not going with the upgrade method because the virtual disk that 19.3 was installed on had almost no extra space. Can just be resized but the risk of data loss spooked me. I am 95%+ that it's just risk of VM data loss but cautious about the host’s data.

The suggestions in here are helpful because they add to my working knowledge. I did clone the VM and then “turned back” and deleted the clone.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Ok then this should be marked solved? :)

I make it a standard practice that I either clone a VM before upgrades or software changes, Or if there is not enough room on the host drive I will export it as an "appliance".
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

11Rupees wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:22 am I am 95%+ that it's just risk of VM data loss but cautious about the host’s data.
A VBox virtual hard drive is a file, that's all. Increasing the size of the file will not - indeed, cannot - affect the host's data.

That said, reinstall makes much more sense with a "basic installation without any bells and whistles." Upgrade would have been many steps, taken enormously longer, with only so-so prospects for success. For illustration, an old demo about a comparable upgrade.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Once you have mastered setting up a VirtualBox guest it is so easy to instal another one that, as long as disk space is not an issue, I would have recommended creating a new guest for Mint 21.x and leaving 19.3 intact.
You could move /Home, settings and data between the to Mint installations via the host by using Shared Folders.

When the new Mint 21 was working exactly as required then the old Mint 19.x could be removed or left alone as required.

I find VirtualBox an ideal method of doing any experiments with Mint without any danger to my daily driver.
Indeed, before I do a Mint upgrade I always do it on a Mint guest copy of my daily driver to see what issues the upgrade may leave me with.
From the results I decide whether to Upgrade to the new Mint or Instal as new with transferred data from my current installation.
However, time is not a constraint with me... :D
11Rupees
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 11Rupees »

coffee412 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:04 pm I make it a standard practice that I either clone a VM before upgrades or software changes, Or if there is not enough room on the host drive I will export it as an "appliance".
I am thinking that an exported appliance takes up less space than cloning? Or you just don't want to have a VM that runs from an external drive?
11Rupees
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 11Rupees »

RIH wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:15 pm I find VirtualBox an ideal method of doing any experiments with Mint without any danger to my daily driver.
Indeed, before I do a Mint upgrade I always do it on a Mint guest copy of my daily driver to see what issues the upgrade may leave me with.
From the results I decide whether to Upgrade to the new Mint or Instal as new with transferred data from my current installation.
However, time is not a constraint with me... :D
I am starting to see the true power of Virtual machines vs regular installations. Virtual machines can make it easier to change to a later version of a distro. For example, you can easily access your "old" installation and work there while you budget your time preparing the new installation to being fully ready.

Then again, like you say, in Linux you should be able to get your program settings and OS settings in place just by moving the home directory from old computer to new computer (assuming same desktop environment on each). So, what I mention in the previous paragraph might apply more to Windows (if Windows is not as easy to get all of your preferred setting in place).
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

11Rupees wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:52 am
coffee412 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:04 pm I make it a standard practice that I either clone a VM before upgrades or software changes, Or if there is not enough room on the host drive I will export it as an "appliance".
I am thinking that an exported appliance takes up less space than cloning? Or you just don't want to have a VM that runs from an external drive?
Yes, It does take less space than cloning. However, Its just a backup of the VM. I have some VMs that only take up 1/10th of the space when exported to an appliance. Then I can take that appliance and move it to another machine if I want. Case in point: I take care of some remote clients and I can spin up a new VM at my location and work on configuring it (i.e. Nextcloud) and then export it to an appliance and upload it to the remote server. Takes a while to upload but is entirely possible. I did one like that and the appliance was only 5 gigs in size.

Return to “Virtual Machines”