Pet Cat Problem [Solved]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Pet Cat Problem [Solved]

Post by timmn1 »

The case on my computer was getting beat up, so I thought I would replace it. The new case has one drawback, the On/Off button is on the top of the case, and the Cat, being the attention hound that she is, has figured out that if I'm working on the computer, and she wants my attention, will jump up and hit the switch which turns the computer off. I went to System Settings --> Power Management and changed Extra Options --> When the power button is pressed to Ask, but somehow she still manages to turn the computer without it asking (I think she is a little too smart for her own good) So, without disconnecting the On/Off button is there anything else I can try? I tried putting a book on top of the switch, but she just swats it out of the way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Pet Cat Problem

Post by deepakdeshp »

https://askubuntu.com/questions/320286/ ... 861#320861
See the powerbtn.sh reference in this.
Good luck.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I would fashion a molly-guard. Once upon a time I made one out of a plastic contact lens case that had a hinged lid. Pretty, it was not. but worked, it did.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/molly-guard.html

If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.
Terry Pratchett
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 am I would fashion a molly-guard. Once upon a time I made one out of a plastic contact lens case that had a hinged lid. Pretty, it was not. but worked, it did.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/molly-guard.html
This is what I done when I had case with a top mounted button.

I found it to be a better solution than a software based one, as most computers (or at least the ones I owned) are configured to shut down if the button is held down after a period of time regardless of software settings.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I told my wife about your issue. She says the solution is to give your cat the attention she deserves. We are dog people so . . . . :mrgreen:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

timmn1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:33 pm The case on my computer was getting beat up, so I thought I would replace it. The new case has one drawback, the On/Off button is on the top of the case, and the Cat, being the attention hound that she is, has figured out that if I'm working on the computer, and she wants my attention, will jump up and hit the switch which turns the computer off. I went to System Settings --> Power Management and changed Extra Options --> When the power button is pressed to Ask, but somehow she still manages to turn the computer without it asking (I think she is a little too smart for her own good) So, without disconnecting the On/Off button is there anything else I can try? I tried putting a book on top of the switch, but she just swats it out of the way.
Glue a thumb tack to the power switch.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:31 am
timmn1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:33 pm The case on my computer was getting beat up, so I thought I would replace it. The new case has one drawback, the On/Off button is on the top of the case, and the Cat, being the attention hound that she is, has figured out that if I'm working on the computer, and she wants my attention, will jump up and hit the switch which turns the computer off. I went to System Settings --> Power Management and changed Extra Options --> When the power button is pressed to Ask, but somehow she still manages to turn the computer without it asking (I think she is a little too smart for her own good) So, without disconnecting the On/Off button is there anything else I can try? I tried putting a book on top of the switch, but she just swats it out of the way.
Glue a thumb tack to the power switch.
Yeah, what could go wrong with that? :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Yeah, what could go wrong with that?
Well, Looking at the extreme side - The worst case senario - The cat could develop gangrene and have to have its paw chopped off. Most likely though it will learn very quick that its not to push that button :)
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:38 pm
Well, Looking at the extreme side - The worst case senario - The cat could develop gangrene and have to have its paw chopped off. Most likely though it will learn very quick that its not to push that button :)
Or you forget about the tack and try to hit the off switch?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:14 pm
coffee412 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:38 pm
Or you forget about the tack and try to hit the off switch?
After the cat learns its lesson just put a piece of cork or rubber over it. Save it in case you get a new cat. After all, What are you going to do with a cat with only three paws? :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Get rid of the cat! Several problems solved. Of course you could always open the case and re-locate the power switch to the reset button (if your computer has one) or bypass that button entirely. The issue, then, might be, how to power the computer up again. I'd probably stick a bit of cardboard over the button so cat cannot push it, or re-locate the computer to a place that cat cannot easily access it.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

Thanks for your replies, but I came up with a solution, I had a few of those card slot filler things, I'm not sure what they are called, but the piece of metal that is used to fill the opening in a case when you remove a card, anyway, I drilled a hole in one of those, mounted a push button switch in it, disconnected the wires from the On/Off button on the top of the case, and connected the wires from the push button switch. The bad part is that I now have to reach around to the back of the computer to turn it on, but it's a small price to pay. Thanks again!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

lsemmens wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:51 pm Get rid of the cat! Several problems solved.
You do realize that cats control the interwebs, yes? I'm pretty sure Fluffy's reign started back when UseNet was king and lolcat was not even a thing. Fluffy might not approve of the "get rid of the cat" approach. :)
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Pet Cat Problem [Solved]

Post by majpooper »

What . . . and you don't think the cat will figure out the switch is in the back ? :mrgreen:
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Pet Cat Problem [Solved]

Post by timmn1 »

Well, where the cards mount on the back of the case is recessed, so she can't get to the push button switch easily.

Return to “Open Chat”