[Solved] Connecting Desktop to NBN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kiwipaul
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Connecting Desktop to NBN

Post by kiwipaul »

I've had Mint 20.2 on my dual boot (W10) for about 2 years using a USB modem to access the internet. I've now connected to the NBN and W10 connects fine but I've been struggling for about a week to get the Mint system to connect. I've booted from the install disk of Mint and it finds the network.

I believe it's a setup problem / drivers but I cannot figure out how to fix it. I've tried doing a reinstall on top of my current system but it complains about root error even though I'm pointing the install at the current disk containing Mint. Mint is on a separate disk (with just 1 partition) which I select when booting using F12.

I don't want to blow away my current Mint Install, I don't mind updating it. I'm using a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and I cannot even connect to that using http://192.168.0.1/ which works fine in W10.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dell i5 7500 desktop with16GB mem 256GB SSD running W10 in legacy mode.
32GB USB stick running Mint 20.2 Cinnamon bootable via BIOS
kiwipaul
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Connecting Desktop to NBN

Post by kiwipaul »

I had 802.1 selected in the wired network properties and I've now disabled that and it's connected but a bit slow
Dell i5 7500 desktop with16GB mem 256GB SSD running W10 in legacy mode.
32GB USB stick running Mint 20.2 Cinnamon bootable via BIOS

Return to “Networking”