[SOLVED] No sound and Dummy Output ruining my experience

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: No sound and Dummy Output ruining my experience

Post by Melu »

SMG wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:16 pmIt seems hda-jack-retask is installed. Did you try doing the pin changes in the past?

When you booted to the live session you had more output in aplay -l, but did you have sound?
Yes I found and tried the solution of the pin changes, but no result. And yes, when I booted to the live session I had sound! So from in the live I copied the text of the asound.state file to replaced the asound.state version of the normal session. I think I posted it above?
Society does not consist of individuals, but expresses the sum of interrelations, the relations within which these individuals stand.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Melu wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 pm And yes, when I booted to the live session I had sound!
I really think this problem is from a change you made, but I do not have any idea what you might have done to make the sound card disappear on your installation. If it had been an update causing the change, rolling back to the snapshot should have worked.
Melu wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 pm So from in the live I copied the text of the asound.state file to replaced the asound.state version of the normal session. I think I posted it above?
That is not going to work when your aplay -l results are not the same as during the live session. That sound state will not work with the sound card missing.

Maybe something about your JACK installation is the issue. JACK is not part of Linux Mint 21 so it would not have been on the live session.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

SMG wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:57 pm
Melu wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 pm And yes, when I booted to the live session I had sound!
I really think this problem is from a change you made, but I do not have any idea what you might have done to make the sound card disappear on your installation. If it had been an update causing the change, rolling back to the snapshot should have worked.
Melu wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 pm So from in the live I copied the text of the asound.state file to replaced the asound.state version of the normal session. I think I posted it above?
That is not going to work when your aplay -l results are not the same as during the live session. That sound state will not work with the sound card missing.

Maybe something about your JACK installation is the issue. JACK is not part of Linux Mint 21 so it would not have been on the live session.
Do you think it's possible that it has something to do with Windows installed in virtual box? If I remember correctly, problem came around the day I installed the virtual box.
Society does not consist of individuals, but expresses the sum of interrelations, the relations within which these individuals stand.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Melu wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:06 amDo you think it's possible that it has something to do with Windows installed in virtual box?
I do not know.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Melu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Melu »

Solved. Thanks to this https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568 I changed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf by adding options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m81; it seems that model works fine for my computer.

Return to “Sound”