bad shim signature- you need to load the kernel first

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Corman
Level 1
Level 1

bad shim signature- you need to load the kernel first

Post by Corman »

First time installing Linux Mint or anything of the like. Upon booting up Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon on a Dell Inspiron 3147 I get the error: bad shim signature error: you need to load the kernel first. What are my next steps in correcting this? I greatly appreciate the help or if able to direct me to where I can find the information.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
myklt8
Level 1
Level 1

Re: bad shim signature- you need to load the kernel first

Post by myklt8 »

I have the same issue
myklt8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by myklt8 »

I went into BIOS and disabled secure boot (I thought I had done this already) everything loaded perfectly after that
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Corman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:42 pm First time installing Linux Mint or anything of the like.
Welcome to the forum, Corman.

Are you able to boot to a live session of Linux Mint using the install usb? If so, please do that and open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

When you installed Linux Mint 21.1, did you add the codecs during installation?
After installing, did you continue using Linux Mint and install any updates? (That's not a requirement, but some people do it.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
stewschneider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stewschneider »

I've got the same issue and after a full day I've exhausted my vocabulary of obscenities. I cannot boot into a live session. Same complaint -- shim signature and load something first. If I blunder through I get a "security fault". I didn't consciously turn on secure booting and don't know how to check or change it. I've installed Linux Mint a jillion times and this is the first time I've had trouble. Help! Or at least loan me some of your profanities.
stewart
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

stewschneider wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:09 pmI cannot boot into a live session. Same complaint -- shim signature and load something first. If I blunder through I get a "security fault".
Some photos of the errors would be helpful. Many errors have some common words, but are different errors, so it is helpful to know the exact wording.
stewschneider wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:09 pm I didn't consciously turn on secure booting and don't know how to check or change it.
It is a setting in the BIOS/UEFI.

On what type of computer (make and model) are you trying to install?
stewschneider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stewschneider »

The error is error: bad shim signature
error: you need to load the kernal first
stewschneider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stewschneider »

The computer is an Asus Zen book. Brand new.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

stewschneider wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:09 pm The computer is an Asus Zen book. Brand new.
That description encompasses quite a few laptop models. At this point, I do not know why you are getting the error.

Did you verify the ISO? How to verify ISO images

How did you create the install usb (what software did you use)?

I presume Windows is booting properly on this. Are you wanting to dual boot?

I do not recall if ASUS has the option available in BIOS/UEFI to disable Secure Boot. Have you checked for it? I know there are videos out on how to disable secure boot on ASUS laptops, but ASUS has continued to make changes so I'm not sure what might be valid for your model. While you should not have to disable it to get the live session to load, myklt8 did say that worked for them.
MilesTheCool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilesTheCool »

myklt8 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:48 am I went into BIOS and disabled secure boot (I thought I had done this already) everything loaded perfectly after that
I was having the same problem and about had a heart attack. This immediately fixed it! Thank you so much!!!!
ETextor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ETextor »

Thank you for the suggestion to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. That solved it!

I've installed LM many times on HP systems (not on this laptop though) and hadn't encountered this issue before now.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Disabling Secure Boot did it for me as well... Dell Latitude 7480
david
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david »

Disabling the "Secure boot" in bios setup solves the problem. mine is a Dell Desktop.
310y
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 310y »

yeah, I had to reset the bios to get Intel Rapid Storage Tech off the bios, then had to update the bios and set to initial default. Then installed mint, then had to go back in and disable secure boot which is on as a default of course
MsDaniels
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MsDaniels »

david wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:08 am Disabling the "Secure boot" in bios setup solves the problem. mine is a Dell Desktop.
Worked for me too.
NeXTLoop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NeXTLoop »

In my case, once I disabled Secure Boot and booted for the first time, i was then able to re-enable Secure Boot and it's been running just fine since. So if you need Secure Boot, you might give that a try.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

NeXTLoop wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:16 pm In my case, once I disabled Secure Boot and booted for the first time, i was then able to re-enable Secure Boot and it's been running just fine since. So if you need Secure Boot, you might give that a try.
Yes, after you run all the updates then you can re-enable secure boot and it will work.
Paintdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paintdog »

myklt8 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:48 am I went into BIOS and disabled secure boot (I thought I had done this already) everything loaded perfectly after that
I'm using a laptop - HP Notebook - 14-ma1311ng - and had the same issue. Entering BIOS with F10 and diabling secure boot solved my problem, too. I had hoped to get an information before or while installing Linux Mint :? . It was a little bit uncomfortable sitting in front of a laptop not booting and doing nothing then showing error messages.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Paintdog wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:32 pmI had hoped to get an information before or while installing Linux Mint :? .
Welcome to the forum, Paintdog.

The release notes specify one needs to disable secure boot.

Did you find out about the release from the official blog post or from somewhere else?
Paintdog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Paintdog »

Thank you for the links; I'm new to linux (again) and I hadn't noticed that problem with secure boot. I'm using Vera at the moment.

Return to “Installation & Boot”