Best/worst laptops for lcd ribbon cable failure?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Best/worst laptops for lcd ribbon cable failure?

Post by Samarian Sunset »

A very broad question I know!...But based on laptops that you've used are there any brands that stand out as being more prone to having the screen ribbon fail? Conversely how about any brands that you've used a lot and never had a ribbon failure?

I ask because for the second time my wife's HP laptops have had their screen ribbon connector fail...She bought both used and they were fine for a couple years and then the ribbons failed. I'm wondering if this is more common to some laptop brands than others? Any opinions or testimonials are welcomed as I need to buy her yet another used laptop from ebay.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Best/worst laptops for lcd ribbon cable failure?

Post by RollyShed »

Not the ribbon failing in HP but the power input socket. Very flimsy and of the HPs I've come across 2 out of 3 broken. Here a replacement is $84.
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

RollyShed wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:13 pm Not the ribbon failing in HP but the power input socket. Very flimsy and of the HPs I've come across 2 out of 3 broken. Here a replacement is $84.
I think mine is having the ribbon screen connector fail as the screen will blink horizontal lines but if I just touch the screen and move it a tiny bit it stops...But good to know about HP's power input socking failing. I really want the next used laptop I buy to last a long time.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually, HP laptops are good quality in the upper end of their line. Their cheap ones are, well, cheaply made. You aren't going to get meaningful results here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

HP are made by Foxconn who make Apple and a stack of other brands. Everything is measured down to the 0.00000001 cent. The more expensive models might have better components.

Toshiba used to make it easy. They had their regular line and Pro models. The pro models lasted twice as long. I recommend, before buying, to look up the videos on how to replace batteries, disks, memory, and keyboard. If the videos are 5 minutes, the machine may be well designed. When the video starts with 3 hours of "how to open the case", you know it is a bad choice. :)

Return to “Open Chat”