chromium no longer working [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: chromium no longer working

Post by mikeflan »

Where do you type in a directory?
You can type it here.
And if yours does not look like that, push this button on the right:
nemo.png
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

for my Google Chrome issue, the settings of:
- Memory Saver - now Off
- hardware acceleration - now Off

Chrome now does seem to be running better.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

With my Chromium problem, there was no chance of changing the setting. No text was displayed in the main part of the window, including in the menus, just bits of image.
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

minticle: this is what I get when I type in the commands: No chromium mentioned.

Code: Select all

paul@paul-B460M-GAMING-HD:~$ pwd
/home/paul
paul@paul-B460M-GAMING-HD:~$ ls -a
.              .dmrc        .local                     .themes
..             Documents    .mozilla                   .thunderbird
.bash_history  Downloads    Music                      .var
.bash_logout   dwhelper     Pictures                   Videos
.bashrc        .gnome       .pki                       Warpinator
.cache         .gnupg       .profile                   .Xauthority
.cinnamon      .gtkrc-2.0   Public                     .xsession-errors
.config        .gtkrc-xfce  .sudo_as_admin_successful  .xsession-errors.old
Desktop        .linuxmint   Templates
paul@paul-B460M-GAMING-HD:~$ cd .config
paul@paul-B460M-GAMING-HD:~/.config$ mv chromium chromium-old
paul@paul-B460M-GAMING-HD:~/.config$ 
Mikeflan: I don't know which browser you typed that into, but all of my browsers give me an error message:

Your file couldn’t be accessedIt may have been moved, edited, or deleted.
ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minticle »

The chromium directory is inside .config. Once you type in "cd .config", that puts you inside the directory. Once inside the directory, if you type in "ls", you should now see chromium-old as one of the folders inside .config. Before you renamed it using "mv", it was called "chromium". There is probably another, new "chromium" directory there now.

You might want to read up on basic bash commands; it's hard to be a Linux user if you are not friends with the command line. "Bash" stands for "basic shell", and much of the help you'll receive on this forum--or, really, anywhere on the internet--presupposes that you are somewhat comfortable with bash basics.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

THere was a discussion of this topic here

viewtopic.php?t=397380
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

minticle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:59 am it's hard to be a Linux user if you are not friends with the command line. "Bash" stands for "basic shell", and much of the help you'll receive on this forum--or, really, anywhere on the internet--presupposes that you are somewhat comfortable with bash basics.
Actually, there are a lot of people who never touch the command line and there is no presuming on this forum people are familiar with the terminal and bash basics.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
GeoffTF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GeoffTF »

minticle wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 pm When you change settings for a program in Linux--for example, when you change your default search engine in Firefox to "Ask Jeeves" or whatever--it is enacted by modifying a file in your home directory. It's usually hidden: the filename starts with a dot. So by default you wouldn't see it as one of the folders in your graphic OS file manager.

So, to follow the instructions in this thread, you have to open Terminal. Click on "Applications>Terminal". At the $ prompt, type in:

$ pwd 

This tells you which directory you're in. By default, Terminal puts you in your home directory. Say you called your computer "zealbert" when you set things up: pwd will give you '/home/zealbert' as your current location. So next, type

$ ls -a 
This shows you all the files, including the hidden ones with dots in front of them. (Omit the -a and you will see only the non-hidden files.)

Navigate inside .config, which is one of the files in your home directory, by typing

$ cd .config
There should be a chromium directory in there, not hidden. To change the directory name, type

$ mv chromium chromium-old
By typing ls again, you will see that you've changed that directory's name. After you open Chromium (the program) again, a fresh directory will be generated, with new default settings. All your "Ask Jeeves" preferences will remain inside chromium-old, but Chromium won't be looking for them in the directory you created. That's how the fix works: it hides the original preferences from the program by forcing it to create a new default directory.
He should be able to do that in the file manager, without using the terminal. In the Nemo View menu there is a "Show hidden files" option.
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minticle »

And yet the very first response in this thread (not by me) instructs OP to do something in terminal.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I don't know which browser you typed that into, but all of my browsers give me an error message
I typed it into the Nemo program. But it turns out you can type it into some browsers also.
Type this into your browser:

/home/paul/Documents
zealbert
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zealbert »

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I installed the flatpak version, imported my bookmarks from Firefox, and it seems to be working fine now. Browser opens up quickly, no weird images. I'll just stick with this.
Thank you all for your help.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

minticle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:59 am "Bash" stands for "basic shell",
the acronym is Bourne Again SHell.
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: chromium no longer working[SOLVED]

Post by minticle »

Wow, you guys are such a friendly, helpful bunch!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: chromium no longer working[SOLVED]

Post by zcot »

Cool. WHOO HOO!
We rock!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”