How do I run Diablo III (three) on Mint 21.1? [SOLVED]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

How do I run Diablo III (three) on Mint 21.1? [SOLVED]

Post by graven »

Hello All,

Can I get some hint's on the best way to do this?

I'm currently running: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy.

I've done some research, but I'm pretty confused, and the more I look the more confused I get since there is a lot of conflicting and outdated info out there.

Ultimately, my goal is to run Diablo III on this machine. I'm thinking that means installing, Wine, battle.net, Lutirs Maybe?, and finally Diablo III. I was able to install Wine with zero problems thanks to a thread on these forums but I decided to do a system restore and post questions here in case someone suggested doing something differently.

While running Diablo is one goal, I also want to run Steam Windows games. To do so, will I need to install Proton? If so, will it conflict with the previous Wine install?

Any tips or tricks I should be aware of before I start?

Any and all advice is welcomed. I'm also happy to do my own research, but I'm starting at ground zero here and would like to reduce the surface area of the issue before I start. Send me links. I'm happy to do the reading.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How do I run Diablo III (three) on Mint 21.1?

Post by graven »

Further update.

I installed Wine per: viewtopic.php?p=2333794&hilit=wine#p2333794
This seemed to work perfectly.

Then I installed Playonlinux which worked fine as well.

I then tried to install Diablo 3. It seemed to want to do all the right things. Installed a few updates, installed battle.net but I wasn't able to run battle.net to insall Diablo. It might have something to do with this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202734 but I haven't gotten very far with it.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graven »

Another update.

Whelp, I got it to work. Really just a bunch of trial and error without much of a plan. It's really a bit of a miracle that it's working at all. I feel like I installed a bunch of stuff that wasn't necessary, and failed to install some essential stuff (but it's working). I even ended up installing Pac-Man (Yes, the video game LOL).

I'll do a fresh rebuild in the next couple of days to document what I did. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graven »

So,

I thought I'd take a disciplined approach, and come up with a step by step set of instructions that someone with zero experience with Wine could follow.
I reverted to an earlier build with Timeshift and started to apply changes one by one. That lasted about 5 minutes. The first clue that this was going to be a long day was when I saw Wine menu options were still there in my menus. It turns out that the default behaviour for Timeshift is to ignore home directories. This is normally fine for me because all of my personal data is on a network drive that get's backed up separately. The problem here is that I'd installed multiple versions of Wine yesterday and those installs, in turn, created multiple versions of virtual Windows directories. I've got:

.PlayOnLinux/.../wine/...
.local/share/applications/wine
./local/share/wineprefixes/32/drive_c/...
./local/share/lutris/...
./wine/drive_c
./var/app/....winehq/...

Six hours later it's deteriorated into the same desperate download of any and all packages that got mentioned anywhere on the net. Nothing worked ...

until it did. By the point it started to work, I'd made so many changes that there was no way do document it.

It works ATM (again) so I'm going to take a break and play, but over the next couple of days, I'm going to go back to try to nail down exactly the steps that were necessary. My feeling is, that none of the tutorials actually worked "out of the box" since there were issues with everything I tried, but some combination did. Ironically, the reason I wanted to get Wine working is to avoid using vmware but in order to figure out the best way to get this working might be to run multiple configurations of Mint in a VM.

Lastly, the only way I can currently tell if Diablo III will run is by installing Battle.net and installing Diablo which involves downloading it every time. Is there a way to squirrel away the executable for later to save it for future "installs"?

Thank you. I know that this is mostly a rant, but I would like to get this to work cleanly and it looks like it's going to take a lot of work.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

It seems like you've had a bit of a nightmare getting Diablo III installed and running.

You mentioned Lutris in your first post. Did you try that? The only thing you really need is Battle.net from Lutris though you should read the notes on that page regarding dependencies.

After you've installed Battle.net (don't log in when it pops up initially, just close the window until the Lutris installer finishes), you should just be able to install Diablo III, or pretty much any other Blizzard game, from the Blizzard launcher.

As for Proton, all you need to do is install the Linux version of Steam. It should enable Proton itself for any titles that aren't native, but you can always go to the Properties section of any game and enable/change the version of Proton being used if you have issues. It may not make all games work but a large percentage of them do.

Glorious Egroll's Wine versions (proton-ge-custom & wine-ge-custom) can also be very useful for Steam and Lutris if you're having trouble getting a game working.

Grab the latest release version and extract to:

Proton: /home/$USER/.steam/debian-installation/compatibilitytools.d
Lutris: /home/$USER/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine

Then select that version in the respective Steam or Lutris setting.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
graven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by graven »

So, in the end, it was so simple (after probably 20 hours of rebuilding my OS from scratch over and over again).
From a clean build (with my nvidia drivers installed), all I had to do was:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install lutris
lutris
Then, from lutris:
Go To Sources Lutris.
Click on Community Installers.
Search for Battle.net
Install it.

That was it with one caveat which I'll talk about later.

The Install dialog box says to install Vulkan support and 32 bit libraries and wine dependancies but I didn't have to. Here is a list of things that I was asked to do from a bunch of different sources *THAT I DIDN'T END UP NEEDING*:

sudo apt install wine
sudo apt install winbind winetricks
winetricks
# Run winecfg from winetricks and change Change to Win10. . .
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y wine64 wine32 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386

I did all of this, and it didn't make any difference. In the end, I created yet another clean install and only ran those two lines above from a command line. NOTE. It was important to run both lines from a command prompt (maybe even the same command prompt which I did). For example, when I ran (supposedly the same?) install script from: https://lutris.net/games/battlenet/ it failed because there was no $DISPLAY variable set (and who knows what else). Note that this doesn't seem to make a difference later on as I was able to run Battle.net from the desktop shortcut. There were also some very detailed web sites describing how to use winetricks to configure wine including installing fonts. Lutris did all of that.

In the end, I didn't have to install Vulkan or DXVK or any of it for that matter. There was even a suggestion to make sure that 1.0.0.127 resolved to my hostname in /etc/hosts. Initially, I even made sure that the first entry in /etc/hosts was set to my hostname, but in the end, reverted this and only ran the two commands I already mentioned.

Another note, I have an nvidia card and installed the drivers as part of the OS install (which apparently already support mesa/Vulkan). I'm not sure if that made any difference, but I doubt it. I could see that the lutris script installed it's own version of DXVK/mesa and a bunch of other stuff. It even installed proton version of wine.

One other thing; a comment about Timeshift. I used it often to rebuild a clean install multiple times. People often give the (great) advice to use Timeshift, but they neglect to point out that all of these installs leave all sorts of stuff in files in your home directory, and Timeshift *ignores* /home/username by default. If you really want to do a clean backout you have to either change the settings in Timeshift (be VERY careful here), or plan to manually delete stuff after a failed attempt.

A couple more things and I'm done. The installation warns, "Do not attempt to login to Battle.net, once Battle.net has finished installing and the login window appears, simply close it. You will log in the next time you start the app.". I'm not sure that this made any difference as I sometimes *did* log in at the time of install without any problems.

Lastly, the caveat that I promised to get to. When I started Battle.net, I got a warning saying:

The Wine build you have selected does not support Fsync

Please switch to an Fsync-capable version.

I just ignored it and checked the "Don't tell me about this again" box. It didn't seem to make any difference as everyting ran just fine. Certainly, I find it troubling, but I also find it strange. Lutris seemed to install so much on it's own. DXVK, hundreds of packages, even it's own version of wine (apparently a proton build BTW). Whey would it install a version of wine without Fsync,and what, if anything should I do to fix this?

That's all for now. Cheers.

Return to “Gaming”