Not able to select second username on logon until first user name is selected

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Not able to select second username on logon until first user name is selected

Post by bananabob »

I have two users on my Mint installation (LM 21.1) and I am unable to select the second user using the mouse until I select the first user then I can select and enter the password for the second user.

Is this a bug, or a feature? Can I get a fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Not able to select second username on logon until first user name is selected

Post by kato181 »

When you install LM you create an administrator account, then you continue with the installation. You can add a user account for someone else and give them the required access. I'm at a loss as to why you would need to log in twice with different login names and passwords for. You may need to explain more than you have stated so others can help.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Not able to select second username on logon until first user name is selected

Post by bananabob »

kato181 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:39 am When you install LM you create an administrator account, then you continue with the installation. You can add a user account for someone else and give them the required access. I'm at a loss as to why you would need to log in twice with different login names and passwords for. You may need to explain more than you have stated so others can help.
I do not have to logon twice. I just have to select the first user listed. Then select the second (me) to logon. The users are listed in alphabetical order and unfortunately my username is further down the alphabet than the other user. The reason this is annoying is that it is my laptop and the other user is just their as backup in case their own laptop fails.

This image is the screen I am presented with after booting.
Screen presented from booting.
Screen presented from booting.
I then select the first user and am presented with a password box. This then allows me to select the second user and logon. It is not possible to get a password box for the second user until the first users password box is selected.
Screen after selecting first user
Screen after selecting first user
mikaelv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikaelv »

What if you modify the other user's name to place it after yours alphabetically in the list? (Or modify your name to place it before theirs.)
That might be annoying for the other user, but it might solve your problem! :)
Perhaps this is more of a work-around than a solution.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

mikaelv wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 pm What if you modify the other user's name to place it after yours alphabetically in the list? (Or modify your name to place it before theirs.)
That might be annoying for the other user, but it might solve your problem! :)
Perhaps this is more of a work-around than a solution.
I agree it is just a work-around and also a nuisance when both users are set up.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

I got a way to get round this without changing the usernames.

It does mean that I have to type in my username and then password as no usernames are displayed, but OTH it also makes the laptop more secure as the person trying to logon has to know what the username is as well as the password.

All you do is use the Login Window settings and on the user panel set as the image shows
Screenshot from 2023-05-31 15-38-57.png
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

bananabob wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:55 am I am unable to select the second user using the mouse
You can select a 2nd user in the list with the cursor down key, it's more convenient than mouse. Anyway usually last logged in user is selected. To be sure you are using sleek-greeter, look in

Code: Select all

lightdm --show-config
But can you select a user with cursor keys in your situation, when neither user is selected after reboot? Can you login once in other account to check if there will be no user selection after that.
-=t42=-
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

t42 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:09 am
bananabob wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:55 am I am unable to select the second user using the mouse
You can select a 2nd user in the list with the cursor down key, it's more convenient than mouse. Anyway usually last logged in user is selected. To be sure you are using sleek-greeter, look in

lightdm --show-config
But can you select a user with cursor keys in your situation, when neither user is selected after reboot? Can you login once in other account to check if there will be no user selection after that.
The cursor keys do not make the password box show up either. The only way to show up the password box is to select the top user first then you can move to the user you want. The second user in the list is the one I want to use and it does have this selected, but no password box. So I have to select the first user, get a password box, and then select the second user, and get the password box for that user.

Here is the output from the lightdm --show-config command

lightdm --show-config
   [Seat:*]
A  allow-guest=false
C  greeter-wrapper=/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-greeter-session
D  guest-wrapper=/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-guest-session
E  xserver-command=X -core
F  type=xlocal
F  display-setup-script=/sbin/prime-offload
F  display-stopped-script=/sbin/prime-switch
G  greeter-session=slick-greeter
H  user-session=cinnamon
I  greeter-show-manual-login=false
I  greeter-hide-users=false

[LightDM]
B  backup-logs=false

Sources:
A  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-guest.conf
B  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-disable-log-backup.conf
C  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-greeter-wrapper.conf
D  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-guest-wrapper.conf
E  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf
F  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/90-nvidia.conf
G  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/90-slick-greeter.conf
H  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf
I  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Config is normal, maybe look at /var/log/auth.log - you may spot something there. I had such issue as yours with mouse dependant login on LM 19x, but it remained unresolved, the system was retired.
-=t42=-
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

t42 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:53 am Config is normal, maybe look at /var/log/auth.log - you may spot something there. I had such issue as yours with mouse dependant login on LM 19x, but it remained unresolved, the system was retired.
This does seem to be a common problem. I have found similar posts on the forum.

Return to “Software & Applications”