Printer taking priority over internet connection. I need to disable printer use permanently.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tigerprowlusa
Level 2
Level 2

Printer taking priority over internet connection. I need to disable printer use permanently.

Post by tigerprowlusa »

PROBLEM: Every time I lose internet connection, the printer gets connected. Disabling only works until a restart.

Linux Mint is proving to be a very dependable OS. I have been using Cinnamon (21.1) on a newer computer on and off, no problems there, and on this one which I use daily on a 2015 desktop (Xfce 21.1). Before switching over to Linux Mint, I used Xubuntu. One problem that came up was a printer on the network kept interfering with internet connection. In Xubuntu, I was able to disable it and that issue never came up again until now. Yesterday, I was trying to connect two computers (this one and another) through either the serial ports or the printer port (no idea if it would work or not, but nothing successful on that end which I might post on in another thread if this forum site handles those issues as well).

What happens is every time I restart the computer, the printer wants to take priority and now it doesn't matter if I go to disable or not that choice won't "stick". So, the next time I shut down the computer and restart, the printer will take priority.

In trying to connect two computers yesterday, I came across this post: viewtopic.php?t=331128

I tried also using minicom. There was another Linux Mint forum page I went to, but I can't find that through history or regoogling. It had some terminal commands I put in, took about 2 minutes, and I assume things got working on this end to connect to the other computer, but I think that computer is the one not configured right (Windows98, reason: trying to retrieve files).

I haven't removed minicom yet because maybe there is a way to resolve my issue with it disabling something? Or, I might have the same problem as this person:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=391400

That thread prompted me to report my issue because I am apparently not the only one having similar issues. It would be nice to have a "widget" which would ask you, "Do you use any printers on this computer at all?". If the answer is "no", then it would permanently ONLY allocate one connection (in my case the wireless internet connection) and ignore all other available choices. The user would have to alter those changes at a later time to use the printer. I never use the printer on this computer, and if I have to print something I will just send it to my cell phone to print.

I want to find a way to PERMANENTLY disable the printer from being connected to this computer in any way, shape, or form. It's an ongoing headache when I am in the middle of something online, and I presume the internet connection drops, the computer goes, "Oh, let's find the next thing to connect to. Here's a printer.", and then I can't get back online. I have to restart the computer, disable the printer, and then I can connect to the internet again.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Networking”