Restore Particular File from Deja Dup backup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Restore Particular File from Deja Dup backup

Post by ozdroggy »

I have recently done a complete install of Linux Mint:
System:
Kernel: 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.26.0 wm: marco
dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

I also then installed Chromium Version 113.0.5672.126 (Official Build) (64-bit)
and I have lost all my bookmarks from the previous Chromium. :oops:

I have a good Deja Dup backup from before the changes and the manifest in there is the file:
changed home/ozdroggy/.config/chromium/Default/Bookmarks

I am no longer "ozdroggy" but now "michael"

I want to recover home/ozdroggy/.config/chromium/Default/Bookmarks - say to the desktop and then
import into the new Chromium.

All or any help gratefully received.

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Restore Particular File from Deja Dup backup

Post by linux-rox »

Never used the app, but a little quick research says it's based on rsync, which I use all the time.

Are you able to see the file you want to recover in File Manager?
PaulL
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Restore Particular File from Deja Dup backup

Post by PaulL »

@linux-rox Deja-dup uses duplicity, and the TAR files are all in standard sized chunks. You can't read the individual files within them. (It occurs to me I should amend that: I can't read the files in my backup, but that may simply be because the backup is encrypted.)

@ozdroggy Make sure your machine name is the same as the machine name on the backup. Otherwise, you will have a serious problem. I don't know if the change in username will affect anything, but if it does, create an account for ozdroggy as an administrator, with all the same rights as michael, and with the same password you used to encrypt the backup. And, of course, log in as ozdroggy, if necessary.

Then run deja-dup and tell it you want to restore. It will run for a while, as it searches through the file structure of the backup. When you see all the directories and files of your old home directory displayed, then you can navigate to the file containing your exported bookmarks. I believe you can tell deja-dup to restore the file to a different directory from the one is was in when backed up, otherwise it may put it in /home/ozdroggy/(et cetera).

Good luck! I hope this helped.

P.S.--It occurs to me that you may run into permissions problems transferring the file from ozdroggy to michael. But you might be able to restore it or move it to /home/michael/share, I don't know. Otherwise, you'll probably have to start a terminal and do something with sudo to give the file to michael. Of course, this assumes that deja-dup cares about the username. It might not, and then you're golden.

Return to “Software & Applications”