[SOLVED] Could someone help me troubleshoot my DualShock 4 controller? :(

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Could someone help me troubleshoot my DualShock 4 controller? :(

Post by SMG »

MandSpades wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 pmIs it fine for me to make a post specifically about the bluetooth dongle while linking to this post (to say that this extra problem was encountered while troubleshooting the DS4)?
Yes.
MandSpades wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 pmAlso, my diagnostic results are slightly different from those shown on the second link!

Am soon gonna try the workarounds from the first reply... if that's a good idea?

Here's what the diagnostic shows, also different from the reply...
I would expect some things to be different because you are running a newer version of the operating system. Drivers and modules are dependent on the kernel and the version of the operating system. Watch for those types of differences in any information you find on the internet.
MandSpades wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 pmHmm, the answer seems to involve RECOMPILING A KERNEL MODULE with every kernel update. I suppose there is a better alternative?
That person was using a much older kernel (4.10) so I would not think that applies now.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

Created it. No idea what I'll do if the controller doesn't work on BT, but at least we now have hope!
chaussettes99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chaussettes99 »

Hello, I own a dualshock 4 and from personal experience can confirm that it does not work on it's own due to the current kernel version in Linux Mint. Some models of the DS4 don't get proper support until the later 6.0 linux kernels. Luckily, the next major version of Mint should be on one of these hopefully.

A temporary solution to get it working that I use is to download a program called sc-controller. You can get it by downloading the appimage here: https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller/ ... tag/v0.4.8

Make it executable via

Code: Select all

chmod +x sc-controller-0.4.8.glibc-x86_64.AppImage
and run it with

sudo ./sc-controller-0.4.8.glibc-x86_64.AppImage
This will ask for your sudo password. I have never been able to get it to recognize the controller by running it without sudo, I'm assuming it needs sudo privileges to create device files in the root folder. At this point, just connect the controller while the program is open and it should recognize your DS4 controller. Be sure to change the mode at the top from `Desktop` to `Xbox` as the desktop mode has a really strange control scheme that isn't made for playing games.

The sacrifice of this solution is that vibration does not work, but I've gotten used to it and you will be able to play with vibration again once the next major Linux Mint version comes out with a kernel that has support for your model of the DS4.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

chaussettes99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:01 am Hello, I own a dualshock 4 and from personal experience can confirm that it does not work on it's own due to the current kernel version in Linux Mint. Some models of the DS4 don't get proper support until the later 6.0 linux kernels. Luckily, the next major version of Mint should be on one of these hopefully.

A temporary solution to get it working that I use is to download a program called sc-controller. You can get it by downloading the appimage here: https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller/ ... tag/v0.4.8

Make it executable via

and run it with

This will ask for your sudo password. I have never been able to get it to recognize the controller by running it without sudo, I'm assuming it needs sudo privileges to create device files in the root folder. At this point, just connect the controller while the program is open and it should recognize your DS4 controller. Be sure to change the mode at the top from `Desktop` to `Xbox` as the desktop mode has a really strange control scheme that isn't made for playing games.

The sacrifice of this solution is that vibration does not work, but I've gotten used to it and you will be able to play with vibration again once the next major Linux Mint version comes out with a kernel that has support for your model of the DS4.
This is what it shows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/bin/scc", line 6, in <module>
    from scc.scripts import main
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scc/scripts.py", line 8, in <module>
    from scc.tools import init_logging, set_logging_level, find_binary
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scc/tools.py", line 15, in <module>
    import os, sys, ctypes, imp, shlex, gettext, logging
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
    from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array
ImportError: libffi.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.946: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.

(zenity:29825): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:36:23.962: Failed to set text 'Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scc/scripts.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scc/tools.py", line 15, in <module>
  File "/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/usr/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
ImportError: libffi.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory' from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 10 char 93: Element “markup” was closed, but the currently open element is “module”

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.975: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

Try running the command

(zenity:29825): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:36:23.975: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.976: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

Try running the command
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y-Legacy/mimetypes/48/image.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y-Legacy/mimetypes/48/image.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/AppRun: line 28: 29825 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$@"
chaussettes99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chaussettes99 »

MandSpades wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:38 pm
chaussettes99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:01 am Hello, I own a dualshock 4 and from personal experience can confirm that it does not work on it's own due to the current kernel version in Linux Mint. Some models of the DS4 don't get proper support until the later 6.0 linux kernels. Luckily, the next major version of Mint should be on one of these hopefully.

Make it executable via

and run it with

This is what it shows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: libffi.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.946: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

Try running the command

(zenity:29825): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:36:23.962: Failed to set text 'Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: libffi.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory' from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 10 char 93: Element “markup” was closed, but the currently open element is “module”

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.975: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

Try running the command

(zenity:29825): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:36:23.975: Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.

(zenity:29825): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 19:36:23.976: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

Try running the command
Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y-Legacy/mimetypes/48/image.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:../../../../gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y-Legacy/mimetypes/48/image.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
/tmp/.mount_sc-conRX8SQu/AppRun: line 28: 29825 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$@"

Install the `libffi7` package to fix this, Linux Mint does not come with it by default. sc-controller seems to work for me after installing this package.

sudo apt install libffi7
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

chaussettes99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:46 pm Install the `libffi7` package to fix this, Linux Mint does not come with it by default. sc-controller seems to work for me after installing this package.

sudo apt install libffi7
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT WORKS NOW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS
ily

it does get detected as XBox tho
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MandSpades wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:17 pmYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT WORKS NOW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS
ily
Do you consider this issue solved or is there still a problem?

If it is solved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue and others know there is a solution in the topic.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 pm Do you consider this issue solved or is there still a problem?

If it is solved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue and others know there is a solution in the topic.
Hmmm...

A few things:
1. My controller is being recognized as an XBox controller. Could this bring problems in the future?
2. The program in question needs to be constantly open, though it can be minimized to the system tray where it's less of a nuisance. Will I have to ALWAYS have it open, or can I reasonably expect there to be an eventual patch, either by Valve or by Linux?
3. How did the person who bring me this program come across it? I wanna know so that in the future I have a lower chance of dealing with this nonsense by perhaps trying to follow the same kind of reasoning/procedure.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MandSpades wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:47 pmA few things:
Okay. Hopefully, chaussettes99 will be able to help you.

With regards to their comment about later 6 series kernels, while there is a 6.1-oem kernel available right now in Linux Mint, the 6.2 kernel is the HWE kernel for Ubuntu 23.04 and I expect will be available this summer. I believe you can install it now through a PPA. However, I don't know if that addresses the issue you are having to get it to work without this other program.
chaussettes99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chaussettes99 »

MandSpades wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:47 pm
SMG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 pm Do you consider this issue solved or is there still a problem?

Hmmm...

A few things:
1. My controller is being recognized as an XBox controller. Could this bring problems in the future?
2. The program in question needs to be constantly open, though it can be minimized to the system tray where it's less of a nuisance. Will I have to ALWAYS have it open, or can I reasonably expect there to be an eventual patch, either by Valve or by Linux?
3. How did the person who bring me this program come across it? I wanna know so that in the future I have a lower chance of dealing with this nonsense by perhaps trying to follow the same kind of reasoning/procedure.
From my understanding, sc-controller works by tricking the system into thinking the DS4 controller is an xbox controller, so it will always be recognized as an xbox controller while using the program. It shouldnt cause any problems in games other than displaying xbox button icons, which isn't a big deal imo.

Until Linux Mint updates to the newer 6.2 or later kernel you will have to keep sc-controller open anytime you want to play with the controller. Once 6.2 or later comes, you can delete the sc-controller appimage and you should just be able to connect the controller to your pc directly and get working vibration and color effects again. You can check what kernel version you have by using

uname -r
in a terminal, but Mint probably won't have 6.2 until the next major version or maybe a little after that. Just keep an eye out in the update manager and you'll get it eventually.

I can't really remember how I found sc-controller originally cause I've been using it for over a year now but honestly just googling about your problem and spending some time reading posts by other people who have the same problem usually leads to me fixing things on my own eventually.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

Do you think I can get the controller working without sc-controller by installing the Linux kernel 6.3 or later?
Also, so it's confirmed that DS4 works smoothly with Linux 6.2 onwards?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chaussettes99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:55 pmMint probably won't have 6.2 until the next major version or maybe a little after that.
I think you may mean the next release (21.2) and not the next major version (22).

One should be able to install the 6.2 kernel now with Mainline – Another Tool to Install Latest Kernel in Ubuntu / Linux Mint if it is needed, but you are correct that it will be coming through to Update Manager (probably some time in July or early August).
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:48 am
chaussettes99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:55 pmMint probably won't have 6.2 until the next major version or maybe a little after that.
I think you may mean the next release (21.2) and not the next major version (22).

One should be able to install the 6.2 kernel now with Mainline – Another Tool to Install Latest Kernel in Ubuntu / Linux Mint if it is needed, but you are correct that it will be coming through to Update Manager (probably some time in July or early August).
Is it not better for me to install 6.3 from Ubuntu's OEM kernels, or do they not have this version yet? I feel like with Canonical's support it would be much safer.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MandSpades wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:27 pmIs it not better for me to install 6.3 from Ubuntu's OEM kernels, or do they not have this version yet? I feel like with Canonical's support it would be much safer.
I just answered that question in your other topic.

Additionally, I expect the 6.2.0 kernel which is available through mainline is a Canonical-maintained kernel.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:35 pm I just answered that question in your other topic.

Additionally, I expect the 6.2.0 kernel which is available through mainline is a Canonical-maintained kernel.
Installed Mainline.
I should get the 6.2 kernel with the highest number then, right?
Also, 6.2 is EOL according to kernel.org. Should I expect Canonical to later start maintaining a 6.3 kernel? Either way, I guess I'll soon install 6.2.16 and reboot.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MandSpades wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:49 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:35 pm I just answered that question in your other topic.

Installed Mainline.
I should get the 6.2 kernel with the highest number then, right?
No. I specifically said 6.2.0 because that is the one which is the current HWE kernel for Ubuntu 23.10. That will be the one Canonical is maintaining and which will be available in Linux Mint within the next few months.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:53 pm No. I specifically said 6.2.0 because that is the one which is the current HWE kernel for Ubuntu 23.10. That will be the one Canonical is maintaining and which will be available in Linux Mint within the next few months.
Sorry. Installing it right now. It's the one listed as "6.2" with no followup number. It's being installed as we speak and after that I'll reboot.
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MandSpades »

THANK YOU SO MUCH, BOTH THE CONTROLLER AND THE BLUETOOTH WORK NOW!!!
I AM LOYAL TO YOU FOR LIFE AND WILL DIE IN BATTLE FOR YOU AT YOUR REQUEST, MY LIEGE
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [SOLVED] Could someone help me troubleshoot my DualShock 4 controller? :(

Post by SMG »

:lol:
Glad all is now working for you and chaussettes99 knew what was needed. :)
MandSpades
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Could someone help me troubleshoot my DualShock 4 controller? :(

Post by MandSpades »

Only problem remaining is BlueTooth doesn't detect it, but at least Linux now detects BlueTooth lol
Also, it does work over USB, which is already pretty great.

Return to “Gaming”