How to connect a wireless monitor to Linux Mint?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

How to connect a wireless monitor to Linux Mint?

Post by vistad »

Hello guys,
I'm thinking of buying a wireless HDMI dongle for my TV to connect my Linux Mint desktop to my TV. Will I be able to do that? I can't figure out how to pair my desktop with it? Maybe it requires to install some package, like Bluetooth manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mirror your PC on TV with HDMI wireless dongle

Post by coffee412 »

Most computers have an HDMI port on them. Does yours?
If it does then plug it into the TV and turn on your computer.

On my GF's laptop - Lenovo G700 - She has to first hookup to the TV and then turn on the laptop. When she was running LM 19.x she then had to go into sound preferences and change the device and output. Then I upgraded her to 21 and she no longer has to do that.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mirror your PC on TV with HDMI wireless dongle

Post by vistad »

Yes, my computer has one HDMI port, and I have my monitor plugged into it.
Sorry, I did not understand: I plug the HDMI wifi dongle into the TV, and then I do what?
How do I hook up to that dongle from my PC?
If I go to sound preferences and change the device and output - to what? I suppose my HDMI wifi dongle won't be visible there.
Still not clear.
Windows has "Mirror screen to the wireless display" option in its Display Settings.
Do we have anything of that sort?
Maybe I should install some special package?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Connect to wireless monitor with HDMI wireless dongle

Post by coffee412 »

How many hdmi ports do you have on your computer? I assume just one. So, We have to look at what other inputs your TV has. When I want to hook up a laptop to my tv I am using the hdmi port on the computer to hook to the TV. Then I just reboot the laptop because it will pickup the settings from the tv on the hdmi port. perhaps you have another output on your laptop besides the hdmi that you can hook to the monitor if you want to run both. Something like a DVI or 15pin. Then run the hdmi to the TV. On the TV you select the source from its remote control.

I do not know what dongle you are talking about. Perhaps you can post a model number or something on it. Is it a converter or something like that?
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Connect to wireless monitor with HDMI wireless dongle

Post by vistad »

I want to connect my desktop to the TV wirelessly. The TV is a bit too far from the desktop to connect with a cable. I need a wifi solution - of which there are 2 options: either plug a WIFI HDMI adapter (e.g. AnyCast M9 Plus 1080P) or a wifi USB adapter into the TV.
If I use a WIFI HDMI adapter - I don't know how to connect my desktop to it. And it looks like you don't know either.
If I use a WIFI USB adapter - I should be able to connect to it using "Connect wireless monitor" option. Such option exists in Windows, but does it exist in Linux Mint?

Wow, I found this article: viewtopic.php?t=366053
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to connect a wireless monitor to Linux Mint?

Post by coffee412 »

Humm.... interesting.

I have never done a wifi hdmi dongle to tv hookup.

I will tell you what I have done though -

I had to run network wiring to a tv and ruku box to my systems in the basement. I drilled a hole in the floor/carpet and then bought a gold colored door knob collar and fastened it to the floor with two screws. You cannot see it from the couch but it keeps the carpet from unthreading and looks kinda professional.

wifi to hdmi I dont know. Sorry.

EDIT:

I just took a quick look on Amazon about wireless hdmi and I am seeing prices of 100 + (USD). For that I would run a cable ;)
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to connect a wireless monitor to Linux Mint?

Post by vistad »

I did some research on the issue and found that perhaps a better way instead of connecting my TV to the PC would be to buy a dedicated mediaplayer, for me it might be this one: https://androidtvnews.com/beelink-gt-king-pro-review/ - you can look it up on aliexpress.com.

Return to “Networking”