Hey everyone!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clifford_devoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone!

Post by clifford_devoe »

Longtime windows user here and recently switched to Linux Mint. So far have been loving it and slowly getting used to the terminal and all of the other features of the OS. Can't wait to learn more, especially from everyone with much more knowledge in this forum!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Hey everyone!

Post by motoryzen »

clifford. welcome :D

If you're new to Linux, I recommend one of the first things you practice dealing with is

A. backing up and restoring your system.

You will inevitably bend or break something via accident or just in the natural process of learning how something works. That's ok. That's just the nature of dealing in the Linux world. But nothing is worse than trying out something new that you're not sure you needed only to find you typed or pasted the wrong thing or command..and nuked precious data.

1st rule of I.T. is ...back it up
2nd rule of I.T. is....back it up multiple way and multiple destinations
3rd rule of I.T. is...practice restoring it all ways and from all destinations..

1. Timeshift ( one done via stock settings....another done via including /home ) I cannot count how many times Timeshift has saved my bacon. Imo, ensure you target a separate drive for this as leaving it 100% stock settings ( including the automatically creating snapshots) will eventually fill up your root directory ( although specifically /run/timeshift folder ... last I recall ) And that can prevent you from being able to boot into Linux Mint gui desktop as normal.

Depending on the size of your separate drive as well as the size of your /home folder's contents..you may can get away with for a good while using the same drive for both the stock snapshot creation settings ( aka not including /home folder ) and the one including /home folder

If you cannot afford at the moment or near future the cost of another separate drive, then make it a point to check your free space in / with the following terminal command below occasionally
df -h

Usually 4 to 10 snapshots is plenty for ensuring a system can be restored to before things went south depending on their dates. You can hand type info sort of labeling each snapshot such as " before trying grub version blah blah" or " before trying *insert program or game update name here * "

2. Foxclone ( be it System Image Backup or Disk Clone). AndyMH= who is an active forum member here =- is the dev for Foxclone and has helped many people out in other ways as well as been pleasant to deal with for many years. You can download it from foxclone.org and use Usb Image Writer ** already installed in all three flavors of Linux Mint ** to prep a usb thumb drive with it and you boot from it with your target backup or restoration drive connected.

When it comes to using a System Image Backup or Disk Clone. always ensure pretty much everything works as it should, otherwise..you're also backing up the problem ;) Kind of do a speed skim check of things

If you can and haven't put a ton of data on that Linux Mint system yet, it's quicker and easier to practicing backing the system up and restoring the smaller the amount of that main Linux Mint Drive 's space is consumed. I've used the Backup and System Image restoration feature of foxclone a lot these past couple of weeks to purposely restore my 2nd test PC to a fresh LM installed stage ( no clicks or settings changes..no adding files..just fresh install bone stock) testing a " install and setuppc.sh" bashscript. Andy has done with with this program.

3. Rsync command to back up the /home or almost whatever else manually ( and can be used to restore just as easily too that data )
*** note ***
Be careful with this command and pay attention to how you create it and use it. one wrongly included " option " {{ I've heard them being called switches also }} and you can cause data loss.
The formula I've always used that has never failed me for getting started just testing the basics of it is below
rsync -avhu '/path/of/what/you/want/to/backup' '/path/to/backup/destination'

Joe Collins ( aka ezeelinux) has made a view parts and videos about rsync and he's that sort of well spoken easy going/listening kind of guy that makes a great teacher for those who need someone to speak and instruct at a beginner's speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUXmz5bPCaQ at around 13:28 ish

There is a plethora at this site/domain of tutorials. And for some it can be overwhelming, but just be patient with yourself and take it one step at a time beyond learning how to back up your system and learning the basics.

Remember..you didn't learn how to use Mac or Windows overnight, so don't put added pressure on yourself and also be realistic about respecting that Linux is definitely not Windows. Many basic action/things are similar, but many are not. Where certain things are stored...how they are auto-labeled are just two examples of what I mean involving the differences. Although I'm not an expert in the Linux world imo ..especially compared to the likes of SMG, rene, AndyMH, all41, sleeper12, xenopeek, Moem, smurphos, kadaitchaman, linux-rox, and easily dozens more I've seen over the years....., feel welcome to PM me anytime to pick my brain and I'll see what I can do to help.

B. Practice is being able to quickly post your system info here if you ever need troubleshooting help.
Two main way that I know of.
1. step 5 of how to get help link surrounded in pink above most of the topics' pages here at this domain/site talk about the terminal way of posting system details
2. gui way = Windows logo aka start button on your keyboard, type without quotes " system reports" , then "system information" button in upper left, " copy " button bottom right.
Come back here. paste into the reply white area. You'll notice it already includes the code tags ( same as pressing that </> button here fifth from the left above where you type your replies...which when you paste your results of a command..makes it easier for everyone to read it without it taking up massive space on the topic page )

Neither way provides personally identifiable info so no worries and it does well in helping narrowing down many issues...saving everyone time wasting guessing on many troubleshooting avenues.

Yes...it's like going from learning how to drive an automatic car..to learning how to drive a standard transmission , but it's worth it imo.

C. Remember in Linux. 99.99 % of the time...everything is a file This means when in doubt, before you do/edit something...ask someone. Even if you're the humble type that is fearful it may be a dumb question. If you do it with respect and good attitude, chances are people here will take and respond to that in kind and provide great info to say " yep..go ahead " or ' no...STOP..this is why . You'll break this or that " ;)

/etc/fstab file can be one of those things imo depending on many things.

I've rambled on enough for one night.

Cheers. :)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi clifford ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

it's always great to have another convert to our LinuxMint system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello clifford,
Welcome to the linux Mint forum, enjoy the journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the linux Mint forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
linuxpinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxpinux »

Hi, welcome to the forum
I'm new here as well ans am happy I switched to Linux

Return to “Introduce Yourself”