Linux Mint XFCE 21 default mount point of external hard drive changes upon power failure. [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScarletMcLearn
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint XFCE 21 default mount point of external hard drive changes upon power failure. [SOLVED]

Post by ScarletMcLearn »

I am using Linux Mint XFCE 21 on an ASUS Vivobook Laptop.
I am using an external hard drive which has been separated into several partitions.

I have set the partition locations as such :
/mount/Documents
/mount/Project
... etc

I have severe power outages in my area, and upon power outage, the external drives get disconnected (as connected via a USB Hub) but the laptop keeps running (as has battery).

Then the power comes back and I turn on the USB Hub, the mount points of some of the drives get messed up.

They get changed to :
/media/username/Documents
/media/username/Project

The default mount points are also available, but they have no files or anything.

If I restart my PC, the mount points are again fixed.

How can I stop this behavior (the changing mount points and having duplicate drives) from occurring?

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux Mint XFCE 21 default mount point of external hard drive changes upon power failure.

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Most probably that is because those drive/partitions filesystems need to be checked after power fail.

Post back cat /etc/fstab but, if those USB drives/partitions are mounted by UUID or label, you can try getting into BIOS after power failure to be sure USB devices are detected, and booting GRUB menu>Advanced option> Kernel on recovery mode and then running fsck option on recovery menu before booting Mint.

Also you can try adding noauto to options on mounting, then on a working session you can mount those partitions with Disks.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
ScarletMcLearn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint XFCE 21 default mount point of external hard drive changes upon power failure.

Post by ScarletMcLearn »

Thank you for your response.

Here is the output:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=c67dfae0-7298-48f2-9e37-5efcb3d07124 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
/swapfile                                 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/DD96-DBB8 /mnt/DD96-DBB8 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=Drive /media/scarlet/Drive auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=Project /mount/Project auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=New\040Volume /mount/New\040Volume auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=Documents /mount/Documents auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
LABEL=Linux\040Mint\04021.1\040Xfce\04064-bit /mnt/Linux\040Mint\04021.1\040Xfce\04064-bit auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Here all of them are showing appropriately for the External HDD (New Volume, Project, Documents).

But in my File Manager it shows this path:

Code: Select all

Project: /media/scarlet2/Project/
Documents: /media/scarlet2/Documents/
Please suggest what I can do to resolve this.

Preferably using GUI based tools.

Thank you in advance.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Try Disks (Menu>Accessories>Disks). Select that external drive on the left, then partitions on the right and click on stop icon (square) downside to unmount. You can add noauto option as indicated on last post: Select partition> Click on gears icon downside>Edit Mount options. Switch off user session defaults if needed and uncheck Mount at system startup.

Notice on that window you can also change rest of mount parameters. I'm not sure about those labels and mount points on that mount folder you have created (I don't like free spaces on directories or labels)..but I would identify partitions by UUID in any case.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
ScarletMcLearn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ScarletMcLearn »

Thank you for your response.

I have updated as per your suggestions.

I will update you if fixed.

Thanks!
ScarletMcLearn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ScarletMcLearn »

Its fixed!
Working as desired!

Thank you!

Return to “Storage”