matching of software available on different Linux Mint repositories

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

matching of software available on different Linux Mint repositories

Post by wpshooter »

Are all Linux Mint repository servers somehow being monitored to be sure that they are all
providing the same versions (at same times) of various Linux Mint software (original install ISOs and updates thereof)
that are available for download and installation or is this strictly the job of whomever is in
charge of those repository servers ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Re: matching of software available on different Linux Mint repositories

Post by diabolicbg »

The servers are kept "mirrored", which means automatic synchronization with the main and software uniformity. At least that's how it is in theory, but I guess in practice too.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

diabolicbg wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:21 am The servers are kept "mirrored", which means automatic synchronization with the main and software uniformity. At least that's how it is in theory, but I guess in practice too.
Are those repository servers only task in servicing request for downloads of Linux Mint ISO and updates (I would not think so) and I say that because, for instance, I know that one of those servers is located at James Madison University in Virginia, and their basic task is that they are an educational institution or are these Linux related functions ran on facilities which are strictly separate from other IT type functions of the University in this case, i.e. does JMU have a separate server dedicated to serve as strictly a Linux Mint repository ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:48 am Are those repository servers only task in servicing request for downloads of Linux Mint ISO and updates (I would not think so) and I say that because, for instance, I know that one of those servers is located at James Madison University in Virginia, and their basic task is that they are an educational institution or are these Linux related functions ran on facilities which are strictly separate from other IT type functions of the University in this case, i.e. does JMU have a separate server dedicated to serve as strictly a Linux Mint repository ?
This would depend on the university, but in most cases, the university kindly donates some of its server bandwidth to help out with free software. They are usually NOT "strictly separate from other IT type functions". Universities don't have "Mint specific servers" or "Mint specific IT people" or anything like that. They aren't sponsoring Mint, or sponsored by Mint. They are just supporting free software in some way. It's essentially a "charity" kind of thing.

I used to work at a university. Universities have IT departments with employees to take care of IT, and they take care of all the IT-related needs of the university. In any case, the university mirrors do not have some sort of responsibility towards us Mint users like support, etc. They are just kindly mirroring some Mint stuff for convenience to users. They are not responsible for the software. Sometimes these mirrors can be out of date, I've seen it happen before. Sometimes the mirrors can be offline, or can be slow. Sometimes they might even have modified / hacked Mint ISOs: https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hu ... -backdoor/ That's why it's important to verify your ISOs!

Personally I find university mirrors to be somewhat unreliable, so I usually choose my mirrors to be the default US / UK ones, even though I live far away from them. This is just my preference though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd suspect that mirrors at universities are kept up by the Computer Science department myself.

I also use the default main mirrors. They're more reliable, and that syncing doesn't always happen immediately. I've seen issues with that here before.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

spamegg wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:48 am
wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:48 am Are those repository servers only task in servicing request for downloads of Linux Mint ISO and updates (I would not think so) and I say that because, for instance, I know that one of those servers is located at James Madison University in Virginia, and their basic task is that they are an educational institution or are these Linux related functions ran on facilities which are strictly separate from other IT type functions of the University in this case, i.e. does JMU have a separate server dedicated to serve as strictly a Linux Mint repository ?
This would depend on the university, but in most cases, the university kindly donates some of its server bandwidth to help out with free software. They are usually NOT "strictly separate from other IT type functions". Universities don't have "Mint specific servers" or "Mint specific IT people" or anything like that. They aren't sponsoring Mint, or sponsored by Mint. They are just supporting free software in some way. It's essentially a "charity" kind of thing.

I used to work at a university. Universities have IT departments with employees to take care of IT, and they take care of all the IT-related needs of the university. In any case, the university mirrors do not have some sort of responsibility towards us Mint users like support, etc. They are just kindly mirroring some Mint stuff for convenience to users. They are not responsible for the software. Sometimes these mirrors can be out of date, I've seen it happen before. Sometimes the mirrors can be offline, or can be slow. Sometimes they might even have modified / hacked Mint ISOs: https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hu ... -backdoor/ That's why it's important to verify your ISOs!

Personally I find university mirrors to be somewhat unreliable, so I usually choose my mirrors to be the default US / UK ones, even though I live far away from them. This is just my preference though.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I always verify my ISOs.

What I am ultimately trying to discover is why a particular application (Rhythmbox), functions slightly differently on laptop installation and a desktop installation which were both installed from the same verified Mint ISO.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:38 am What I am ultimately trying to discover is why a particular application (Rhythmbox), functions slightly differently on laptop installation and a desktop installation which were both installed from the same verified Mint ISO.
Can you describe the "slightly different behavior"?
Can you show apt policy rhythmbox from both computers?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

spamegg wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:15 am
wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:38 am What I am ultimately trying to discover is why a particular application (Rhythmbox), functions slightly differently on laptop installation and a desktop installation which were both installed from the same verified Mint ISO.
Can you describe the "slightly different behavior"?
Can you show apt policy rhythmbox from both computers?
Yes, on the laptop when you CLOSE the application via X, the application is reduced to the panel as an icon, in effect the application is left running resident and not actually closed.

However, on the desktop computer installation when closed via X, the application is REALLY closed, i.e. no icon on the panel.

I have found references to a plugin that is supposed to handle this however the plugin is NOT found on the preferences of Rhythmbox of either the laptop install nor on the desktop install. I have checked the plugins that are actually enabled on each installation and the ones that are enabled on each are both the same. Also, checked the startup applications on each machine and can find no apparent cause for the difference there.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Code: Select all

Installed: 3.4.4-5ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.4.4-5ubuntu1
  Version table:
 *** 3.4.4-5ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Both of them kick out this very same results, yes I proofread every line. The laptop is usually not connected to the Internet.
It is normally my test machine.

And actually I have another laptop which I am repairing for someone else and it exhibits the same behavior as my laptop.

Thanks.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] [/code] tags
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Can you reproduce the behavior differences if you use the Guest account on both computers?
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:23 am Yes, on the laptop when you CLOSE the application via X, the application is reduced to the panel as an icon, in effect the application is left running resident and not actually closed.

However, on the desktop computer installation when closed via X, the application is REALLY closed, i.e. no icon on the panel.
Not so on my desktop computer. When I press X, the app hides in the tray and without me touching anything because I'm not using it. This is the default setting.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

diabolicbg wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:23 am
wpshooter wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:23 am Yes, on the laptop when you CLOSE the application via X, the application is reduced to the panel as an icon, in effect the application is left running resident and not actually closed.

Not so on my desktop computer. When I press X, the app hides in the tray and without me touching anything because I'm not using it. This is the default setting.
So do you have any thoughts/theories as to why my desktop is not working like yours ? Again, when I press X the application is CLOSED, i.e. no Rhythmbox icon is listed on the on the tray/panel ?

Could it possibly have something to do with the setup/properties of my panel, however to my knowledge the panel on my desktop machine is setup exactly the same as they are on the 2 laptop machines which DO display the icon on the tray when the X is clicked ?

And I much prefer the way that it is working on the desktop machine, just trying to understand why the difference is occurring.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

wpshooter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:49 am So do you have any thoughts/theories as to why my desktop is not working like yours ? Again, when I press X the application is CLOSED, i.e. no Rhythmbox icon is listed on the on the tray/panel ?

Could it possibly have something to do with the setup/properties of my panel, however to my knowledge the panel on my desktop machine is setup exactly the same as they are on the 2 laptop machines which DO display the icon on the tray when the X is clicked ?

And I much prefer the way that it is working on the desktop machine, just trying to understand why the difference is occurring.

Thanks.
I have no idea why there is a difference. I see that we both use LM21.1 MATE, so it's not from DE. I don't like to make extra adjustments because I have to write them down or remember. I use the LM as is, with a few added programs of my choice.
If you've made any different system settings, maybe that's the problem.

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

diabolicbg wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:40 am
wpshooter wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:49 am So do you have any thoughts/theories as to why my desktop is not working like yours ? Again, when I press X the application is CLOSED, i.e. no Rhythmbox icon is listed on the on the tray/panel ?

Thanks.
I have no idea why there is a difference. I see that we both use LM21.1 MATE, so it's not from DE. I don't like to make extra adjustments because I have to write them down or remember. I use the LM as is, with a few added programs of my choice.
If you've made any different system settings, maybe that's the problem.
I do have certain applications and dependencies (and setting changes) that I make after doing the initial install of Linux, however, those changes are done exactly the same be it a desktop computer or a laptop computer, which I why I am just absolutely baffled at the difference in the behavior of Rhythmbox on the two !!!

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

My version of Rhythmbox is 3.4.4.

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Is there anyone who has the same version of Linux Mint mate 21.1 running on a desktop computer on which when clicking
on the closing X that Rhythmbox application is actually completely CLOSED and does not put an icon on the panel/tray which can
then be used to re-open Rhythmbox without actually going to the menu items and re-opening a NEW instance of Rhythmbox ?

Check to see if your version of Rhythmbox is 3.4.4.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Software & Applications”