DroidCam refuses to work properly on my linux mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jakewas
Level 1
Level 1

DroidCam refuses to work properly on my linux mint

Post by Jakewas »

"Connection reset! Is the app running?" that all I got after following this tutorial on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0grslWbJzE
I also tried to fix any of the possibles tutorial errors, following the oficial site tutorial: https://www.dev47apps.com/droidcam/linux/
but it also did not work.

I have 0 ideia of what is wrong, I give it the correct Phone IP and DroidCam Port, and it's always prompt me that message. Could you guys help me? I'm new to the forum, would be glad if helped. Sorry for my bad English, It's not my comfortable zone here hehe

Software version:
Linux mint 20.3
Android 4.2.2(Old cellphone which I intend to use as a security camera)
DroidCam(on android): 5.0.2(using an old version thanks to the old android), I downloaded it the oficial website: https://www.dev47apps.com/droidcam/android-4/(For Android 4.0.4).
DroidCam(on the computer): Not sure :( , most likely the last version.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the version differences, because I tried use a modern version of DroidCam on my tablet and it still dont working, the problem is for sure in the computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axrusar
Level 7
Level 7

Re: DroidCam refuses to work properly on my linux mint

Post by axrusar »

I got it working on a VM after A LOT of fiddling around.
I can't reproduce exactly what i did. but here are some parts that the tutorial does not show:

Did you install adb?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install adb
If you have multiple devices, you can specify which one to connect to using ANDROID_SERIAL environment variable. Use adb devices to list available devices and serials, then env ANDROID_SERIAL=XYZ droidcam-cli adb 4747.
Did you do this part?

My example and what it shows:

cinnamuser@mint-VM:/tmp/droidcam$ adb devices
List of devices attached
92NLD51RMK	device
so i added it like this:

env ANDROID_SERIAL=92NLD51RMK droidcam-cli adb 4747
at some point i had to restart pulseaudio

pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio --start
I also had to do something here:

cinnamuser@mint-VM:/tmp/droidcam$ lsmod | grep snd_aloop
cinnamuser@mint-VM:/tmp/droidcam$ sudo modprobe snd_aloop

Did you add your username to the plugdev group:

sudo usermod -aG plugdev cinnamuser
Try starting with

droidcam-cli adb 4747
And it finaly worked :lol:
So i launch the app in the phone, launch the app in mint (127.0.0.1 is already set there and grayed out), click connect. i see the webcam video showing on the phone screen. and i tested using a webcam application in mint (webcamoid) and the video shows up.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics

Return to “Software & Applications”