Does Mint Software have easy app to change multiboot order ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DanR
Level 1
Level 1

Does Mint Software have easy app to change multiboot order ?

Post by DanR »

I upgraded damn Ubuntu and it changed itself into default in the multi-boot with Mint and Windows. How return Mint to default boot ? Or make any default in future easily?

/* It is a disaster how much time i already spent on this BS load order issue. 20 years ago this was a minute issue.

Why $$%^ programmers have not just add the buttons "Make this default" next to displayed choices when bootloader shows your options at boot for 30 seconds so you just click on any of them and the next time this will be a default? Was this hard to realize for 30 years of Linux that booting always have to be like this ?
Just one damn click solution instead of headaches for days

By the way if reinstall Mint from the USB stick keeping all apps and files intact (does it have such recovery option? Or this is also a problem like with boot order which seems is the case with retarder Ubuntu which breaks so easily but recovers hell hard ? ) will the boot order also change back to Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Does Mint Software have easy app to change multiboot order ?

Post by MiZoG »

Last installed distro will take over grub bootloader from previous installations.
That doesn't mean you need to re-install Mint from scratch.
Just reinstall grub while being on Mint.
Tutorial
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Danr.

I empathize with your frustration, but you always ( you being anyone) complicate things more with a dual booting system within the same physical drive versus having one OS in one and another OS in another physical drive ( meaning you install one OS into drive A,...while main os drive B is not connected what so ever , then properly powering down the system. reconnecting drive B, and with any fkey if your motherboard is modern-day enough..you can select a Quick boot order menu ( my Asrock taichi x570 motherboard has such a hotkey and it's already 2+ years old easily ).

So if the drive you have set in UEFI/bios isn't the one you want to auto boot directly to..you can change that to the highest priority /1st boot device, then when you need to less frequently boot to the other drive, just spam press that hotkey and select that other drive ( note this won't change the boot device order as it would need to be changed in uefi/bios..it's just a temp selection deal )

This goes just as equally for linux drive A and linux drive b...versus Linux and Windows drives being on separate drives .
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

DanR wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:54 pm How return Mint to default boot ?
As mentioned in the linked tutorial, boot Mint from Ubuntu's Grub menu. Run this command: sudo grub-install /dev/sda. This assumes you have only one drive, of course. If Mint is on sdb, substitute that into the command.

Why this happens, by the way, usually is an update to the Grub packages which causes the boot loader to be reinstalled.
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

There is a dual-boot on my Macbook, Mint and Mac OS X (El Capitan).

I used efibootmgr to set the boot order.

Code: Select all

sudo efibootmgr
to display the different entries

Then

Code: Select all

sudo efibootmgr -o  entry1,entry2
Replace entries with the 4 digits displayed above.
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
DanR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DanR »

Thanks, mcroger

Return to “Installation & Boot”