Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ gonna Fresh Install it, and be done ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Just got a warning Root has '0' bytes left --- [ NOT-solved ]

Post by linux-rox »

There's no reason to think this is a Timeshift problem. If it were, the rogue snapshot(s) would show up in one of the file system reports the OP has run. Besides, as mentioned above, in this case snapshots are on a different partition.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

There's a timeshift directory not only in that Backup partition but also in /. I.e., and as said, I expect the current Timeshift configuration to be to save in /timeshift but it trying to include that/those backup location and failing each time due to running out of space (and deleting that failed snapshot again immediately -- admittedly I don't in fact know if it does that upon failure).

Anycase please just wait for OP to look at his current Timeshift configuration and confirm/deny.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

rene wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:44 am I expect this is again Timeshift trying to back up some permanently mounted and not excluded large data-type filesystem, and upon running out of space halfway through deleting the "failed" snapshot again before you even notice that it was doing such.

Only other possibility seems to be something writing humongous temporary files to /tmp until it fails similarly -- but at 60G that seems pushing it, so I'd go check Timeshift configuration and/or correlate with indeed such a data-type filesystem being mounted somewhere that Timeshift feels needs backing up.

If it's again Timeshift as per above contemplate disabling the stupid thing outright -- but at least exclude what needs excluding.
to test this theory,
I have just now Deactivated Timeshift.
I have enough backups that is not a concern at all today, or this week.

Definitely will report back on how well this works to resolve the situation.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

rene wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:44 pm There's a timeshift directory not only in that Backup partition but also in /. I.e., and as said, I expect the current Timeshift configuration to be to save in /timeshift but it trying to include that/those backup location and failing each time due to running out of space (and deleting that failed snapshot again immediately -- admittedly I don't in fact know if it does that upon failure).

Anycase please just wait for OP to look at his current Timeshift configuration and confirm/deny.
when I look inside the /timeshift folder, it is Empty, nada, zilch

the Settings in Timeshift are to only store the snapshots on /Backup/Timeshift

Root Timeshift.jpg
timeshift on backup.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You should be able to check immediately by going into Timeshift -> Settings -> Location. If it's currently set to your root partition sda2 instead of that backup partition sda3 that'd be the issue. Yes, the empty /timeshift would as said be explained by a failed snapshot being deleted immediately -- and we need that kind of explanation to explain the popup followed by an immediate display of 60G free space.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Just now did a Forced Reboot, that is to say, PRESS POWER KEY until BIOS shut down the laptop.

this thread is the only thing FF had open.

I was inspecting /backup to see what I had in various folders, and then the mouse and keyboard quit responding.

of course, that means that using the control-alt-prtScn command won't work.

this is just plain getting weird, I can't find anything wrong, but things are NOT working well for me
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

I got a warning a few weeks ago that Root was almost filled up and I deleted some things don't remember what exactly but the warning went away. Now I just checked after reading this thread and my 100 GB root partition is almost filled up again.
Maybe I should start a new thread?
Screenshot from 2023-06-01 15-14-07.png
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

jackkileen wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:19 pm I got a warning a few weeks ago that Root was almost filled up and I deleted some things don't remember what exactly but the warning went away. Now I just checked after reading this thread and my 100 GB root partition is almost filled up again.
Maybe I should start a new thread?
yes, you should for Personal Attention to your own issue.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

Have you checked journalctl logs after the notification was displayed?
senjoz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:24 am If you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with grep options -B 5 -A 5. This will display 5 lines before and after a line with pattern match.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

senjoz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:16 pm Have you checked journalctl logs after the notification was displayed?
senjoz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:24 am If you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with grep options -B 5 -A 5. This will display 5 lines before and after a line with pattern match.

Code: Select all

john@FX705GM:~$ journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
grep: or: No such file or directory
grep: journalctl: No such file or directory
grep: 0: No such file or directory

john@FX705GM:~$ journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 5 | grep -i "filesystem root"
grep: 5: No such file or directory

john@FX705GM:~$ sudo journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
grep: 0: No such file or directory
[sudo] password for john: 
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:10 pmIf you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with grep options -B 5 -A 5. This will display 5 lines before and after a line with pattern match.
That was meant to be two different commands you could run.

journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem
or

journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
You ran both of them with an "or" in the middle all as one command. That is why your first line gave an error about "or".
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:21 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:10 pmIf you run terminal command journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem or journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root" after displayed notification, do you get any relevant information? Try also with grep options -B 5 -A 5. This will display 5 lines before and after a line with pattern match.
That was meant to be two different commands you could run.

journalctl -b 0 | grep -i filesystem
or

journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
You ran both of them with an "or" in the middle all as one command. That is why your first line gave an error about "or".
I ran each command independently,
then I highlighted the results.

Once I pasted inside the Brackets, I added a space between the Results to clarify what happened.

guess it would have been more clear, to enter each result as a Separate entity.

will do it again:

john@FX705GM:~$ journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
john@FX705GM:~$ journalctl -b 5 | grep -i "filesystem root"
john@FX705GM:~$ sudo journalctl -b 0 | grep -i "filesystem root"
john@FX705GM:~$ 
it is not returning any results, thought it needed 'sudo' but that didn't change anything.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
One post removed, let's be better than that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Woke up this morning to yet another of those Alerts,
at this point I am just clicking Ignore and going on.

I have rebooted several times, and nothing has gone wrong at all.
Just the normal process of getting back to a working OS.

I have been on Vacation now since April 8th wandering around the country, so trying to figure out issues with Linux is a bit awkward....

I can't devote the diligence to it that I should.

I think when I get back home in Okieland in 15 days,
that I will just do a Fresh Install and start over.

all of my data is in /home, and Aptik will do a reinstall of all of my apps.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Another shot in the dark. I wonder whether this is a trim problem, an accumulation of three years of deletes not being cleared. Shouldn't be. Mint runs trim once a week as a matter of routine system maintenance. OTOH, easy to trim manually and can't hurt anything. The command is sudo fstrim -av. Unlike fsck, trim only works on mounted partitions, so you want to run the command during a regular session with all three Mint partitions mounted.

FWIW, what brought this to mind is that I had an issue a few months ago (not worth trying to summarize here) where I shouldn't have had a trim problem, but tried manual trim on a lark and it turned out to be the solution. As I said, easy to do and can't hurt.

Note: AFAIK, there's no way to confirm whether trim did anything. What you will get in response is a report of the amount of free space in each partition, which we already know. You get the same response if running trim twice in quick succession, where plainly the second run didn't do anything.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 pm Another shot in the dark. I wonder whether this is a trim problem, an accumulation of three years of deletes not being cleared. Shouldn't be. Mint runs trim once a week as a matter of routine system maintenance. OTOH, easy to trim manually and can't hurt anything. The command is sudo fstrim -av. Unlike fsck, trim only works on mounted partitions, so you want to run the command during a regular session with all three Mint partitions mounted.

FWIW, what brought this to mind is that I had an issue a few months ago (not worth trying to summarize here) where I shouldn't have had a trim problem, but tried manual trim on a lark and it turned out to be the solution. As I said, easy to do and can't hurt.

Note: AFAIK, there's no way to confirm whether trim did anything. What you will get in response is a report of the amount of free space in each partition, which we already know. You get the same response if running trim twice in quick succession, where plainly the second run didn't do anything.
that took longer than I thought it would

john@FX705GM:~$ sudo fstrim -av
[sudo] password for john:  
/home: 68.3 GiB (73387364352 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda4
/boot/efi: 224.9 MiB (235810816 bytes) trimmed on /dev/nvme0n1p1
/mnt/83601e83-13ac-4887-b8d6-7928f1be3245: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda3
/: 64 GiB (68711464960 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda2
I don't quite understand why the large numbers on sda4 and the NVME which is Windows, not Linux, but does hold Grub for bootup menu Mint/Win10
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

I'm much more puzzled by: /mnt/83601e83-13ac-4887-b8d6-7928f1be3245: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda3. I wonder whether we have accidentally hit on the nub of the problem. Per your earlier screeenshots, sda3 (the backup partition) should have 374 GB free, and therefore trimmed. For that matter, 68 GB for sda4 seems low to me. On the bright side, the system partition (sda2) is exactly as I would expect and that's the one you're getting error messages about. The reason you're seeing nvme0n1p1, by the way, it that the EFI partition is automatically mounted at boot.

Let's get a third opinion on the space available in sda3. What does lsblk -f say?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm I'm much more puzzled by: /mnt/83601e83-13ac-4887-b8d6-7928f1be3245: 0 B (0 bytes) trimmed on /dev/sda3. I wonder whether we have accidentally hit on the nub of the problem. Per your earlier screeenshots, sda3 (the backup partition) should have 374 GB free, and therefore trimmed. For that matter, 68 GB for sda4 seems low to me. On the bright side, the system partition (sda2) is exactly as I would expect and that's the one you're getting error messages about. The reason you're seeing nvme0n1p1, by the way, it that the EFI partition is automatically mounted at boot.

Let's get a third opinion on the space available in sda3. What does lsblk -f say?

john@FX705GM:~$ lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE FSVER LABEL    UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                                   
├─sda1      vfat   FAT32 EFI      A9A2-D1F0                                           
├─sda2      ext4   1.0   /LM21    a68a4a63-99de-4474-8ed8-75f23142d59f   59.6G    24% /
├─sda3      ext4   1.0   /Backup  83601e83-13ac-4887-b8d6-7928f1be3245  349.2G    17% /mnt/83601e83-13ac-4887-b8d6-7928f1be3245
└─sda4      ext4   1.0   /home    32f44c92-4ac5-4580-8b6b-cb4f2016a022  163.7G    51% /home
nvme0n1                                                                               
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat   FAT32 SYSTEM   88FF-235F                             224.9M    12% /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2                                                                           
├─nvme0n1p3 ntfs         Win10    64C600F8C600CBEC                                    
└─nvme0n1p4 ntfs         RECOVERY 64106268106240E2                                    
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

So, basically agrees with Disks, especially when we bear in mind they weren't run on the same day. Maybe there's a good explanation for that trim result on sda3, but sure looks wrong to me. Anyway, let us know if/when you get the next '0' bytes warning.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

linux-rox wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:03 am So, basically agrees with Disks, especially when we bear in mind they weren't run on the same day. Maybe there's a good explanation for that trim result on sda3, but sure looks wrong to me. Anyway, let us know if/when you get the next '0' bytes warning.
been out of the house, just returned at 11 AM a few minutes ago,
when I moved the mouse and woke the screen up, this was showing again.

low disk space.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”