Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Welcome Ladies - post here :)

Post by Moem »

escargote wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:04 am It's kinda the opposite about me : I define me a feminine woman, but I don't like to define myself a female. When I said "feminine person", I was talking about the gender identity, not about the gender expression. Now I see your answer, I understand the ambiguity x)
It's fine, there is room for us all! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
escargote
Level 1
Level 1

Post by escargote »

I want to do a heart react. I spend too much time on Insta and/or Facebook xD
MintFan20
Level 1
Level 1

I'm Back!

Post by MintFan20 »

I'm back everyone! Hello my name is mintfan20 and I'm a big fan of linux and open source my favorite version of linux is obviously Mint and I have dabbled with manjero before anyways its great to be back with the Linux clan!
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to adhere to forum rules
  • Windows Insider Program Member 2020-2022
Bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bunny »

Hello Linux Community!

I come from years of Windows experiences as a user, both good and bad. I decided it was time for a change, a much needed and necessary change to Linux Mint Cinnamon. It took some time to get it installed and it did have its issues getting there, but with past help of this community for the errors I had encountered today - it was WELL worth the effort! My laptop runs much more smoothly and I also have more room to play with!

Thank you to all you Devs and volunteers for making this possible and friendly to boot!
~ Bunny ~
spedigre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spedigre »

Greetings ladies! I'm an old hippie chic from the 60s, my only previous ventures into the cyber universe were building websites for my home business back in the day using basic html, playing with computer graphics, and most recently converting our massive collection of audio and VHS tapes to digital (some audio cassettes dated back to reel-to-reel tapes, and some video tapes converted earlier from super 8 movie films; an historical journey for sure).

My late husband was always my tech guy, but after his passing I've had to learn on my own. Not sure what he would have thought of my Linux Mint machines. He was a beta tester for Microsoft in the very early days of Windows, and while he was loyal to a fault, he did realize that Windows was nothing like what it had once been. He didn't share my reverence for open source programs, and he was a gamer, so he probably would have been frustrated by the difficulties that others seem to have trying to get games to work easily with Mint. But autonomy has always been my most valued commodity, so I'm comfortable with having made the switch. I'm still a newbie with much to learn, and grateful for the online help I've received on this voyage.
zelf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zelf »

Hello!

Newbie at Linux here. Been dabbling in the tech sphere for a long time, mostly in the peer-to-peer spaces such as Scuttlebutt.

Feels like falling into a jungle which I am now learning to navigate, not with ease yet it feels good when it works.

Previously used mac but when photoshop became available in a browser, there's not much need for me to stay in such a harsh techie environment as a corporate space creates.

Keen on things solarpunk and open-source systems.

Studying at an interdisciplinary IT education atm ~
JGT_Phewrry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JGT_Phewrry »

Hi you there!

I... honestly don't know where in the femininity spectrum I stand, I'm not sure if I fully understand that concept. :?
But know that I'm here to help, I think I'm pretty decent in terms of tech-savyness so if you think I can help please let me know.
You can send me a PM with the link to your question, or, if you're not sure you want to ask the question publicly, you can send me your question directly,
Although in the forum is preferred that you post your question publicly, no matter how basic they may seem, so others with the same problem may benefit from the answers as well. We should be here for each other, I guess is what I'm saying, and of course, that doesn't mean we're going to neglect the boys out there. but there's something special about us gals in tech that I think is worth some special attention.

About the percentage of men/women here, I don't think that is somthing that can be truly asserted, I'm sure many of us had been, at least, tempted to use
a gender neutral nickname/username/avatar/etc, just to avoid unwanted attention. But from reading the post in this forum, I don't think that's so much of a necessity here. But I totally understand the comfort of it.
spedigre wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:31 am Greetings ladies! I'm an old hippie chic from the 60s, my only previous ventures into the cyber universe were building websites for my home business back in the day using basic html, playing with computer graphics, and most recently converting our massive collection of audio and VHS tapes to digital (some audio cassettes dated back to reel-to-reel tapes, and some video tapes converted earlier from super 8 movie films; an historical journey for sure).

My late husband was always my tech guy, but after his passing I've had to learn on my own. Not sure what he would have thought of my Linux Mint machines. He was a beta tester for Microsoft in the very early days of Windows, and while he was loyal to a fault, he did realize that Windows was nothing like what it had once been. He didn't share my reverence for open source programs, and he was a gamer, so he probably would have been frustrated by the difficulties that others seem to have trying to get games to work easily with Mint. But autonomy has always been my most valued commodity, so I'm comfortable with having made the switch. I'm still a newbie with much to learn, and grateful for the online help I've received on this voyage.
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. and second, but not least, HUGE respect!. Not only for being one of the few real hippies that remain truth to their values of freedom and comradery, but also for that epic historical journey, I mean I'm not sure if I could have done those conversions, and sure, I would have managed to defend myself in HTML1. I guess it was back then when you had attributes like COLOR=BLACK, when no standard force you to keep a hierarchy of tags, and most guides simply ignore that, when the editors didn't had code snippets and you had to type everything by hand and without syntax highlighting, in other words, so many things that we now take for granted, that make our digital lives so much easier, specially when we compare them to when even doing something basic in HTML wasn't exactly trivial.
zelf wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:17 am Hello!

Newbie at Linux here. Been dabbling in the tech sphere for a long time, mostly in the peer-to-peer spaces such as Scuttlebutt.

Feels like falling into a jungle which I am now learning to navigate, not with ease yet it feels good when it works.

Previously used mac but when photoshop became available in a browser, there's not much need for me to stay in such a harsh techie environment as a corporate space creates.

Keen on things solarpunk and open-source systems.

Studying at an interdisciplinary IT education atm ~
Welcome, I'm glad that you're here, and I know for sure that I'm not speaking only for myself when I say that :D
I'm also glad that you broke free from that abusive operating system.
I'm sorry to report, ma'am that I only became aware of the solarpunk term because you mentioned. But now I know,
and I have to say, what an awesome concept! - as if we needed more reasons to be happy that you're here :D :D :D

I wish I could welcome all of you personally, but I'm sorry, I can't that could take more of my time to quote, paste, type, etc that I can afford on a single post right now. I guess what i'm trying to say is, I'm glad that you're all here and I'm glad that this post exist.
Everyone calls me Phewrry, not J, not G, not T, just Phewrry.
Q: what does your mom call you? - A: Phewrry
Q: What do you call her? - A: Phewrry
Q: What about your kids? - A: If I have them (and this is a BIG if) they'll call me Phewrry.
ariidellq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ariidellq »

heya! my name is ari.

i've been using ubuntu for a while before lm but I just made the switch.
I love using tech and always been fascinated about it. :wink:

sorry i dont have much to say but thank you for reading!! :D
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

ariidellq wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:56 am heya! my name is ari.

i've been using ubuntu for a while before lm but I just made the switch.
I love using tech and always been fascinated about it. :wink:

sorry i dont have much to say but thank you for reading!! :D
Welcome to Linux MInt!
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
pouki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pouki »

Hello everyone! :) :) I'm using Linux Mint environment for 8-9 years now, but I'm still newbie on many many things. I participated in seminars about OSS Ubuntu & Linux and tried to learn how to write some commands to use when it's necessary, but instead of it I learned a lot more interesting things about the community and the software in general :D :D
I found the forums very very useful and I hope you don't mind when I'll ask about my "crazy" problems.
Kristyanne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kristyanne »

Hi all, Kristy here. Been using Linux on and off for years. Finally got so sick of Windows that I had to give Linux one more try.

Anyway, it's great seeing so many other women on here!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

The "ladies" (a term that is a relic from the past) on this forum are "girlboss"
GIRLBOSS:
As a noun, describing a woman who is in control of her life, and doesn't care what others think. She handles herself and simply slays life.

As a verb, it is used to describe an action that is a big slay. It can be used in dealing with work or people, in a girl boss way.
(Noun)

"wow, look at how she handled that situation"
"she is a total girlboss!
(verb)
"hey, did you hand in your assignment?"
"yeah, I totally girbossed that"
:D
MindfulTatiana
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MindfulTatiana »

Hi I am from California. I am completely new to Linux and programming but I'm learning both at the same time. I have a MacbookPro11,4 that Apple decided was obsolete by no longer supporting updates/syncing so I made the switch to Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Last edited by MindfulTatiana on Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nesi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nesi »

I am AFAB (assigned female at birth) but identify as agender/non-binary, my pronouns are they/them. Unsure if I'm welcome in this particular thread or not but thought I'd say hello! I'm from British Columbia, Canada. I go by Nesi (my spiritual name) or Graylynn (my actual name). I'm happy to be delving into Linux Mint!

~ Nesi
(They/Them)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Nesi wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:14 pm I am AFAB (assigned female at birth) but identify as agender/non-binary, my pronouns are they/them. Unsure if I'm welcome in this particular thread or not but thought I'd say hello!
Then I'll say hello too, and add a welcome! Glad you found us, and enjoy the Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MrsHamill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MrsHamill »

Hi, I'm a retired computer hardware engineer who's going to be migrating to Linux Mint in the near future. I've already done my laptop but I have a desktop coming and I'd rather drink battery acid than use Win11. I'm going to have alllllll kinds of questions, mostly about migrating my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles, which I know is possible but not precisely how. Right now, I have issues with my laptop and Libre Office and why I can't get the fonts I need to load on it. Any ideas? :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MrsHamill wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:52 pm Right now, I have issues with my laptop and Libre Office and why I can't get the fonts I need to load on it. Any ideas? :)
Hello and welcome! Yes, I do have an idea: post in the relevant forum subsection, and more people will be around to help. Not that many folks keep an eye on this thread.

sara0107
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sara0107 »

Hello, I'm Sara :). Been using exclusively windows my whole life but was convinced by a friend to try Linux on a cheap laptop I bought for university, as I start in about a week, and that brings me here. I like reading, video games, magic the gathering, ttrpgs, math, physics, and am trying to get into warhammer 40k. Excited to see what all the linux hype is about lol.
CaribouKai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaribouKai »

Hello! My name's Angie and I'm midwest USA. I enjoy reading, casual gaming, D&D, and my three cats. Started building my own computers about a decade ago and I will never ever buy a desktop off a store shelf again.

Been on computers since MS-DoS was the only way to do things and a Windows user since 3.1, so this is gonna be a fun learning curve for me. Thought about giving Linux a try for years, but I think the fall of Twitter and Windows getting more and more nosy is what really kicked me in the tail to really start looking into open source options for pretty much everything before I'm forced onto Win11.

Asked for some recommendations on Mastodon and Linux Mint was highly recommended for beginners, so here I am! I haven't installed yet, but have the installer downloaded and ready to go for the very near future. Looking forward to go poking about. :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

CaribouKai wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:39 am three cats
The exact right number as far as I'm concerned. Welcome! 😸 😺 😽

Return to “Introduce Yourself”