No Sound

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: No Sound

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:27 amUsually I play music from my computer with Clementine. I can see the music is playing on the VU-Meter, and have the volume turned up.
And if you go to the Sound app in Linux Mint on the Applications tab it is showing sound for Clementine? I've never used Clementine and don't know if it has any adjustments, but as an app I would expect it to show in the Sound app.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Yes I check the Sound app frequently. Volume Max. Hardware and Output device shows Celeron/Pentium Silver HDA Stereo.
Also have tried Rythmbox and Audacity.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:18 pm Yes I check the Sound app frequently. Volume Max. Hardware and Output device shows Celeron/Pentium Silver HDA Stereo.
I specifically mentioned the Applications tab. When you are running applications with sound, those applications show in the Applications tab.

I'm sorry, but I'm running out of ideas.
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Where is the "Applications tab"?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 am Where is the "Applications tab"?
I'm running LM20.3 and there is an Applications tab in the Sound app.
Attachments
Sound.png
Sound.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 424 times
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Ah yes.
Yes it shows the app with which the music is played, except for YouTube where it shows "Firefox" and "speech-dispatcher-dummy"
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:26 am Ah yes.
Yes it shows the app with which the music is played, except for YouTube where it shows "Firefox" and "speech-dispatcher-dummy"
And I presume you have the volume all the way up there and in the Settings tab.

Sorry, but I have no more ideas. Maybe someone else with a similar laptop will have some ideas.
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Yea I've looked at everything.
Thank you for your efforts, I appreciate your help.
Perhaps I shall open a new thread with specific reference to the ess8336. Meanwhile it's back to wondows :(
Last time I did anything with command line was in PC-DOS about 40 years ago!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:43 pm Perhaps I shall open a new thread with specific reference to the ess8336.
Please do not open a new topic on the same issue (unless the old one is closed/locked).

Hopefully, as newer kernels come out (and there will be newer ones this summer), this issue will clear.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I seem to recall a member here nicknamed Mr Een was well known for fixing sound issues. *scratches chin curiously*.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Is there any way of alerting The Linux Foundation to this, as it seems to be a common problem, and has been extant for some time.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

A couple of years ago I had a very stubborn sound issue, one that went on for pages as this one does. Mr EEN was around then and he and others eventually led me to actions which worked for me; however your situation seems different. You are getting great advice from SMG here.

My resolution was along the line of a newer kernel which had a built in sound feature that was missing previously.

Don't give up. While my main sound didn't work I was able to use headphones which had their own sound software. Better than nothing.
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:16 am Is there any way of alerting The Linux Foundation to this, as it seems to be a common problem, and has been extant for some time.
Why would you alert The Linux Foundation? :?

Others with the hardware have been able to get sound so I don't understand your comment about this being a "common problem, and has been extant for some time." Progress has been made with hardware using essx8336, but apparently yours has something different about it if you are doing the same things others have done and it is still not working.

I have specific mention about that in the Tips for Troubleshooting Sound Issues Rev. 1
If you see mention of the ES8336 sound card, support only started with the 5.19 kernel. Resources for getting it to work with the 5.19 or 6.0 kernels are here. (Note: it requires you to build your own kernel with the necessary modifications.)
I searched the SOF kernel bugs for geoflex and [FEATURE] Support for ES8336 on Intel Comet Lake #3248 came up. I'm not sure why because I searched that bug for Geoflex and nothing came up, but you are welcome to go through the 257 comments to get an idea of what it is like to troubleshoot these types of issue at a more detailed level.

That bug was fixed in the kernel. Here are the closed bug reports on the software side for essx8336.
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

It is quite simple, The Linux Foundation (as far as I am aware) is responsible for writing the Kernel. To get it working with certain sound cards requires extensive use of the command line. The vast majority of computer users don't even know what a command line is, let alone the time or inclination to get involved with it. Linux is advertised as a replacement for Windows, but Windows rarely, if at all, requires the use of the command line.
As for writing kernels, I think it best to leave that to the people who know how to do it.
We should not have to rely on people like yourself giving their time and knowledge to get Linux working.
There is nothing strange about my computer, it works fine on Windows.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

There are many technical reasons why Linux is more advanced than Windows. Yes one does need to be involved and we are fortunate to have people like SMG around to help us. I am 85 and have been around compouers for a long time. I enjoy Linux for the same reason that I enjoy driving myself instead of having a chauffeur or maybe the difference between playing a piano or merely listening.

Also: https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-10-worst ... windows-11
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

spaarks wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:40 amLinux is advertised as a replacement for Windows, but Windows rarely, if at all, requires the use of the command line.
Linux was not advertised as a replacement for Windows for your computer. Otherwise you could have bought it with a Linux-based distro already installed on it.

Your computer was advertised only as a Windows computer. The hardware manufacturer made sure the firmware and hardware components worked with Windows. You decided to install a different operating system--an operating system the manufacturer did not intend to be used.

It is not the responsibility of open-source developers to make sure every single piece of computer hardware ever made will work on a Linux-based distro.

Return to “Sound”