linux operating state

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike_robbin
Level 1
Level 1

linux operating state

Post by Mike_robbin »

can anyone help me with changing the default run level in Linux as am beginner for using this OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: linux operating state

Post by rene »

"runlevels" are a SysV init concept and not still applicable to systemd Linux systems such as Ubuntu/Mint (and most anything else). You will want to specify what you actually want to do.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

until topic is on snooze it can be just mentioned that there are systemD compatibility targets runlevel2.target, runlevel3.target, runlevel4.target, runlevel5.target called when appropriate for SysV runlevel 2-5 requests. For runlevel1 it is possible to use systemd.unit=rescue.target or its alias systemd.unit=runlevel1.target.
-=t42=-
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If, however, OP now feels that an answer to his question, you not I will now get to deal with it undoubtedly not being so :)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

In relation to this everyone using anything like that in Ubuntu is on one's own :) In Debian it is really maintained and rescue.target even integrated in the installation DVD. I have a successful session with it recently after 'accidentally' destroying with my own hands my encrypted system, seemingly beyond any hope to boot it ever again. Just need to cool down enough before that.
-=t42=-
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The question I have is why would you want to change the default run level?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:06 am The question I have is why would you want to change the default run level?
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't think I even knew what a 'runlevel' was when I was a beginner to Linux.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Other topics”