Fractional Scaling

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Fractional Scaling

Post by MurphCID »

I, too have a question on fractional scaling in Mint 21.1 Cinnamon. I am getting a new Thelio Mira computer with an AMD 6600 video card. My two Monitors are both ASUS PB 277b 1440p monitors. So far all I have used Mint on are the 1080p laptops. From reading around the net, it appears that the "X" Window system as used in Mint, does not fully support fractional scaling and keep your fonts clear and clean. Perhaps I am incorrect, and have not read the correct pages, however this is a concern since I plan on removing POP!_OS and installing Mint 21.1 as soon as possible. What I want, and need, is for my monitors to correctly display my DE and for me to make such changes as to allow me to read text on the screen at a reasonable resolution.

What I DO NOT want is to have to go in and edit config files, and then hope and pray that they work. Mint works well on the 1080p screens of my laptops. But I want to be able to, if necessary use 125% or 150% scaling on the 1440p monitors in order to see easily my work. I do not know how to explain this more clearly. I do not have the desktop yet, it is still "In Assembly", but should ship within the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fractional Scaling

Post by JosephM »

From reading around the net, it appears that the "X" Window system as used in Mint, does not fully support fractional scaling and keep your fonts clear and clean
What you read is correct. Under X11 fractional scaling is a bit of hack. In simple terms it works just the same as scaling an image in an image editor. It can most definitely cause things to get a bit blurry. I don't need it on either of my personal machines but have tested on both in the past. It also comes with a performance hit since it is scaling every frame sent to your screen. I know some people use it and like it but I don't know how. I personally found the blurriness (which can vary on how much you've scaled) and the performance hit unusable.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fractional Scaling

Post by GELvdH »

The only Fractional Scaling at the present time seems to be "Experimental" as is indicated in 'Display' , 'Settings'. I too would like to have more accurate scaling but until Clem and his minions are able to get it past the experimental stage it looks bleak. :cry:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”