how to intall python3-zstandard

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ioannes_Nuncius
Level 1
Level 1

how to intall python3-zstandard

Post by Ioannes_Nuncius »

Trying to run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install python3-zstandard 
But Mint doesn't seem to have the package. Looks like it is in the Ubuntu repositories. Is there a way to update to a repository that has the package?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to intall python3-zstandard

Post by spamegg »

Hello Ioannes_Nuncius

Can you share your system information? Which Mint version are you using?

Mint 21.1 is based on Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy, and the python3-zstandard package is not available on the base Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy repositories. It's only available on Ubuntu Kinetic 22.10 and Lunar 23.04. You cannot get access to the repositories of a later, non-LTS Ubuntu base version.

It's also available on PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/zstandard/ You can install it with pip. This should do it: pip install zstandard.

HOWEVER:

Note that installing things with pip is a bit risky, because this might override / update some system Python packages to higher versions, which can break things. https://www.linuxuprising.com/2023/03/n ... ikely.html Having said that, I have zstandard installed on my Mint without issues. But then again I know what I'm doing.

If you need this for programming, then don't install system-wide Python packages with apt or pip. Use either a virtual environment, or use PyEnv to have a separate Python installation that's isolated from the system Python, then install packages into that environment / separate version. I have a tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&p=2103213
Ioannes_Nuncius
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to intall python3-zstandard

Post by Ioannes_Nuncius »

yes it is 21.1

Thanks, that was helpful. It's not for programming, just some applications that required it.

Return to “Software & Applications”