Ubuntu exploring to go total containment mode using Snaps

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Knightstmplr1
Level 2
Level 2

Ubuntu exploring to go total containment mode using Snaps

Post by Knightstmplr1 »

I just read this article that was in some tech news today and it sounds like Canonical/Ubuntu is exploring the possibility of just using Snaps in order to be a totally containerised-immutable-ubuntu-desktop OS.

It specifically said this in the article in the first link below.
"Canonical’s Oliver Smith writes today in a blog post that the company behind one of the most popular GNU/Linux distributions is excited to explore the idea of a fully containerized and immutable Ubuntu desktop in the near future using Ubuntu Core and Snaps.

After announcing earlier this year that future Ubuntu releases won’t ship with support for Flatpak apps by default starting with Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster), Canonical now unveils the fact that they plan to go all-in with their Snap sandboxed package format and even offer an immutable Ubuntu Desktop."
Would this now affect Linux Mints use of Ubuntu as its base for the LM OS?

Would this also mean that Mint might just decide to go total Debian linux with LMDE in future releases of LM if Cononical decides to impliment this in Ubuntu base?
Removed first link that was here because apparently, the forum has a filter on it calling lxer.com article, a blog spam entity, so I just quoted the pertinent point of the article in quotes up above
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... d-in-2024/

https://ubuntu.com/blog/ubuntu-core-an- ... ux-desktop
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Ubuntu exploring to go total containment mode using Snaps

Post by all41 »

Others are as well.
See this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=397747&sid=6bec47dfa875 ... 6ddcd58e6b
At least this will be an optional desktop to begin with, but who knows
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Knightstmplr1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Knightstmplr1 »

all41 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:55 pm Others are as well.
See this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=397747&sid=6bec47dfa875 ... 6ddcd58e6b
At least this will be an optional desktop to begin with, but who knows
Sad to say, but I was afraid that something like this would one day happen, They get something really good going and now everyone wants to muck things up with either Flatpaks, Snaps, or whatever.

They might just as well start calling it "New Windows" where they take choice away from the users and ya just got take whatever they give ya, one size fits all and you have no say or choice in the matter
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

One of the worst things about Windows® was it's immutability. I could change wallpaper and font sizes and such, but it was in no way as configurable as any Linux desktop. Heck, there are window managers with better options for cry'n out loud.

I expect Mint would either have to expand it's own repositories or just switch to an entirely Debian base.
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

Ubuntu knows how to do it, since Ubuntu Core, an embedded distribution oriented to Internet Of Things is entirely based on snaps.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:09 am ... Ubuntu knows how to do it ...
You mean like Ubuntu Phone? Ubuntu Cloud? LMAO. Canonical has a habit of biting off more than they can chew.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:43 am
MikeNovember wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:09 am ... Ubuntu knows how to do it ...
You mean like Ubuntu Phone? Ubuntu Cloud? LMAO. Canonical has a habit of biting off more than they can chew.
Hi,

Like Ubuntu Core, an IoT distribution, existing and available, based on snaps, https://ubuntu.com/core.

About the future snap distribution, expected in the same time as Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, https://www.zdnet.com/article/theres-a- ... n-its-way/.

Regards,

MN
Level 2

Post by Knightstmplr1 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:43 am
+1
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I'm a little confused here. People seem to be saying that an improvement in security means a loss of freedom. Is that correct? If so, a lot of you need to get out a bit more!
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am I'm a little confused here. People seem to be saying that an improvement in security means a loss of freedom. Is that correct? If so, a lot of you need to get out a bit more!
Hi,

Where did you read that?

Ubuntu intends to make a full snap distro, https://www.zdnet.com/article/theres-a- ... n-its-way/.

This will be launched at the same time as Ubuntu 24.04 LTS, but Ubuntu 24.04 LTS will still be available in its traditional way (read zdnet paper).

Ubuntu knows how to make such a distro, since they have already made an embedded one, Ubuntu Core, for IoT https://ubuntu.com/core.

There is a trend to make "immutable" distros: Chrome OS (since 2012!), Fedora SilverBlue (based on flatpaks), Ubuntu Core for IoT and maybe next year a desktop Ubuntu distro based on snaps.
This trend is also a path to containerizing, and to separation between operating system and applications (flatpaks or snaps replacing traditional security components such as AppArmor or SELinux, that increase security but don't isolate the apps and the OS).
The advantages with immutable distros are increased security, and increased simplicity for the user. Will this trend last or expand? How will be the future of Linux distros? Nobody can answer today.

Loss of freedom?
- At the moment, the immutable distros have not replaced the traditional ones, it is just a supplemental offer.
- In Fedora SilverBlue you can create containers where you can install non flatpak apps, and so users are still free to personalize the distro content; will it be possible with Ubuntu snaps distro? To what extent? Wait and see...

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Artim wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 am One of the worst things about Windows® was it's immutability. I could change wallpaper and font sizes and such, but it was in no way as configurable as any Linux desktop. Heck, there are window managers with better options for cry'n out loud.

I expect Mint would either have to expand it's own repositories or just switch to an entirely Debian base.
Hi,

Windows is not immutable with the same meaning as with Fedora SilverBlue: Windows is not a distribution, just an operating system, programs are not part of Windows and not distributed with Windows (except demo versions and bloatware preinstalled on most computers by their vendors...).
Programs are chosen and installed by users, and so there are not two computers with the same Windows installation.

Regards,

MN
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 am I'm a little confused here. People seem to be saying that an improvement in security means a loss of freedom. Is that correct? If so, a lot of you need to get out a bit more!
Immutability/containerization doesn't actually have much to do with improving security per se. It's about maintainability and reliability.

The most popular Linux distros in enterprise are Red Hat followed by Debian Stable. Those are the most locked down distros around, and that is no coincidence.

BTW I have no interest in immutable distros myself but I'm running Debian Stable based Linux now. I'm not interested in the freedom to break the OS.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 am ...BTW I have no interest in immutable distros myself but I'm running Debian Stable based Linux now. I'm not interested in the freedom to break the OS.
Which one are you using?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Check my signature.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

In light of the Red Hat fiasco, is this something we need to be concerned for?
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I am not qualified to have an opinion. More knowledgeable and experienced among us should give us guidance at the correct time. For me it's simple. I'll go with whatever is out of the hands of MS, Apple and Linux OSs that choose to take my data, take my money or otherwise try to restrict me. Twenty years + of Windows was quite enough.

Return to “Chat about Linux”