Documents folder was deleted [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alien8me
Level 1
Level 1

Documents folder was deleted [Solved]

Post by alien8me »

Hi. I'm not sure I have a problem, in effect, but my Documents folder is gone. Don't know if I need it. I'll explain:

In just installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1. I've used it before, but only as a basic simple access to internet. Never got into the technical details.

So I was trying to figure out by myself how to create a desktop launcher for a few folders, because I could find no answers online.

I tried dragging the Documents folder to the desktop as a test, hoping it would result in a popup giving me options. Instead it just got moved there. I thought though, that it had been copied there, because I saw its icon still under "My Computer", so I deleted it from the desktop.

My eyes are very bad (very old), so I didn't see the small red triangle indicating it's missing. So I'm sure now it's gone, proof being that it's not in the trash can, either. When I select that Documents folder, which has the red triangle, a popup says, "Could not find "/home/<user>/Desktop/Documents".

I checked Timeshift, which was just installed a few moments earlier. No sign of the folder there, either.

Not sure I really need it, but is there a way to re-create it?

I have used it in an older Cinnamon as a place to create templates, so I don't want to lose that option if Documents is the only place where templates can function from.

Is there a solution, or do I just leave things as they are?
Thank you, anyone, for any answers you may have:-)
-K.M.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Documents folder was deleted

Post by motoryzen »

So I was trying to figure out by myself how to create a desktop launcher for a few folders,
Try the following terminal command below
obviously replace yourusername with the user name you use to log into that Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1 desktop with

mkdir /home/yourusername/Documents
because I could find no answers online
Odd..when I did that exact search just now..." how to create a desktop launcher in Linux Mint Cinnamon" the very first link seems 100% accurate to me and I just tested every method with a differently named folder and every method works ((( LM 21.1 Cinnamon here too also )))

viewtopic.php?t=352037
I checked Timeshift, which was just installed a few moments earlier
Um...Timeshift comes already installed...stock in Linux Mint since easily version 20 and I want to say even version 19 (shrugs). I'm curious if there is a misunderstanding somewhere about that one.
I have used it in an older Cinnamon as a place to create templates, so I don't want to lose that option if Documents is the only place where templates can function from.
Templates can be used from , I think honestly, any folder...( unsure about root directories though off memory)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

alien8me wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 pm Not sure I really need it, but is there a way to re-create it?
Howdy, and welcome to the Forum.

It's easy to re-create the Documents folder. Open File Manager (if not open already). Click File (on menu at top of window); Create New Folder will the third option on the list; you will get a box in which to type the name; guess what you type there ... :mrgreen:

What may still be a problem is the Document shortcut in the left pane. Get this far and tell us whether you still see the little red triangle.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

alien8me wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 pmSo I was trying to figure out by myself how to create a desktop launcher for a few folders, because I could find no answers online.

I tried dragging the Documents folder to the desktop as a test, hoping it would result in a popup giving me options.
Not the missing folder bit but if a folder is in Home and you want a link to it on the Desktop, Click on that folder in the Home folder and then Ctrl+M to create a folder with "Link to"
Or go to the Menu and Edit and in that menu "Make Link".
Then drag the link folder to the Desktop.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

adding to RollyShed's point....

If you don't want or like that emblem that is shown on a " Link-to" created folder deal....Here's an alternative once you get the Documents folder back

If you want a shortcut of Documents folder on your desktop:

1. Right click any empty area of the desktop and select " Create a new launcher here.. " ( let's pretend you named that LM cinnamon PC of yours " taco "
2. The the command field without quotes put nemo /home/taco/Documents, and name it whatever you want, click ok.
* optional but what I prefer and love **

You can also put this shortcut deal right on your panel..and have individual one-click separate folders shortcuts such as Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos...Downloads. The list goes on. Just use that same overall formula and sub out Documents for whatever folder you want.

*** Note...**** with the immediately above idea..if you want a shortcut to a folder that is on a separate drive..you may need to add apostrophes ( one at the beginning..and one at the end of the path... such as for me and my movies and series folder..example below....

nemo '/mnt/16TB hdd/Movies and Series'
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Sigh, I wanted to do this in steps for a reason. The re-created folder might "just work." If not, delete the old shortcut and create a new one by selecting the folder icon in the right pane and dragging it to the left pane. File manager will create a new shortcut.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

To be sure that the Documents directory is really gone, open terminal and copy this expression in it, followed by enter:

Code: Select all

find ~ -type d -name "Documents"
Suppose it will not find the Documents directory, create a new one as motoryzen said

mkdir /home/yourusername/Documents
then create a shortcut in the sidebar by dragging Documents icon to it by left mouse button from the pane on the right.
Last step, open with text editor a file /home/yourusername/.config/user-dirs.dirs and check for this line in it:

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
If the line is absent, insert it among others, save the file and reboot.
-=t42=-
alien8me
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alien8me »

motoryzen, your fix did it! Thank you! And I see a lot of responses here that I need to study for future reference. Many thanks!!

A reason I couldn't find the answer is just simple ignorance: I Googled questions like, "Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1, How do you fix the Documents folder?" and "...Documents folder is no longer recognized." etc etc, many many differently-worded questions.
I kept getting old forum threads, for one thing, and muchly-unrelated threads, and non-Mint threads, etc etc.
Your solution involves something as simple as a "Make Directory" order. I didn't know I could just create an important system directory without including complicated (to me) directions, so I avoided doing anything that could make things worse.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Cinnamon allowed me to delete that folder in the first place without complaining, warning, threatening me.

Thanks to all who responded! I'm gathering your info, because I see much there that I need to keep handy, and try to understand. It's difficult to research what I don't know I need to know. Basically, I try to keep my hands off everything and just concentrate on my work goals. This time, though, I got a bit of hubris and tried to force things to be how I wanted them to be.
You have helped me to relax, because I was about to reinstall from scratch, and that would be another afternoon gone. Time's short at my age;-) So cheers, very much appreciate everyone's response!
K.M.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Great you see you were able to solve the problem
Anyway, I'm surprised that Cinnamon allowed me to delete that folder in the first place without complaining, warning, threatening me.
Yeaaaah hehe. Linux assumes you the end user know what you're doing and thus you're completely in the driver's seat of your own car ( not a driver's ed car where the passenger side has your driver's ed teacher with his or her own foot brake :P )

But Yes I can empathize with your beginning frustrations about this.. odd that something so simple can be broken and yet so equally easily fixed ( which isn't always the case, but I digress). eh? :)

Please remember to visit your original comment in this post/site and add in the Subject field [ Solved ] so everyone knows you no longer need help resolving this problem without having to click on the topic

Cheers alien :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

alien8me wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:57 pm
Sure there was a warning, maybe not stern enough. I expect you did see this.
ksnip230604-174604.jpg
The trouble is people have got used to the trash can being some kind of backup, which it is not. I think you can blame that on the apple crowd. People should not go around deleting stuff they might need, willy, nilly like. It is a really, really bad habit, and only delete stuff you truly don't need. If on the other hand someone wants a temporary backup folder, then create one for that purpose.

I do not use a trash can, and delete on my machines means delete. File manager preferences, include a delete command that bypasses trash.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
alien8me
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Documents folder was deleted [Solved]

Post by alien8me »

Well, I saw that warning, but it didn't matter in my mind because I had what I thought was another one still in the original location. I didn't notice the tiny little warning marker on it. Old cataract eyes.

BTW, I haven't found a way to make posts to me from here show up in my email client. Clicked around the settings, but nothing yet changes this. I'm super-busy, so tend to forget about checking this forum.
Cheers!
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Documents folder was deleted [Solved]

Post by linux-rox »

Click your Forum user name (upper-right of page) and select User Control Panel.
Notification-Options.png

Return to “Beginner Questions”