Mint 21 losing internet connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint 21 losing internet connection

Post by sleeper12 »

Maybe I missed it, but did you try the newer kernel suggested?:
viewtopic.php?p=2329746#p2329746
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

sleeper12 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:47 am Maybe I missed it, but did you try the newer kernel suggested?:
viewtopic.php?p=2329746#p2329746
This is my very last approach. I think if we are trying to debug the current issue with several approaches, it might not be a good idea to upgrade the kernel in the middle of debugging, don't you think?

To me, it seems that this issue should be solvable and looks like an unreasonable issue to be present.
Mint 21, is one of the recent ones, the one I can update to is 21.1.

I hope this is a solvable problem but now I am lacking of ideas. I have tried (besides the newer kernel) to use everything.

Looking forward to your help in that matter. If there is someone on the forum who could find cavities we are missing or another approach, please let me know.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

It's your choice, but a newer kernel would do no harm since you can always return to your previous kernel in Grub, Advanced Options.
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

Midnight True wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:04 am
schwarzschild wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:09 am
perhaps you need a newer kernel, newer hardware equals newer kernel as they have the latest driver support.
Please make timeshift snapshot and back up your files first, then:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt-get install linux-oem-22.04c
reboot and test it out
After all of the suggestions, I couldn't find a solution.

I have applied your suggestion of a newer kernel.
Unfortunately, I still have this issue. And, I am just lacking ideas now ...
This is a very annoying problem.
Please let me know if I can do anything besides the suggestions already provided.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

schwarzschild wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:50 am
awww that is unfortunately ... i reviewed your earlier post on this thread and saw this

Device-2: Intel I210 Gigabit Network driver: igb
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
are you still using the newer kernel? if so, please tell us the output of the ff:

inxi -Nn && rfkill list all
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

Midnight True wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:49 am
schwarzschild wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:50 am
awww that is unfortunately ... i reviewed your earlier post on this thread and saw this

IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
are you still using the newer kernel? if so, please tell us the output of the ff:

As a side note, due to a system upgrade, I have lost the installation of the wifi adapter. However, I am using the ethernet cable and the issue sustains.
Here is the output you asked:

Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM driver: e1000e
  IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
    mac: c8:f7:50:f4:ad:01
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: c8:f7:50:f4:ac:f9
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

well schwarzchild...given you've tried seemingly everything else, why are you seemingly against trying newer kernel?

If you find the newer or newest kernel either doesn't resolve the problem or makes anything worse, you can always boot from a your current ( which would then be considered a previous one) and one and remove the newer or newest kernel.

Create a timeshift snapshot targeting a separate physical drive 1st if possible, then.. you can install the newest kernel with sudo apt install kernel-oem-22.04b -y or sudo apt install kernel-oem-22.04c -y

If you find it isn't the right fit, then restart the PC, and the split second you see your monitor's screen go black from just barely finishing the P.O.S.T process ( usually a brand name of the motherboard shows on this screen unless you've changed that), span hit the shift key or esc key around 8 or 10 times kind of fast,

Then you'll see a black screen that gives you an option to select Advance Recovery Options or something along those lines... , select that, then you'll see a list of kernels you can select one to boot from. You can then boot from the 5.15.x-x series, once back in your desktop, you can then sudo apt remove kernel-oem-22.04b -y or sudo apt remove kernel-oem-22.04c -y just as easily to get rid of it and you're no worse off in the end.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm well schwarzchild...given you've tried seemingly everything else, why are you seemingly against trying newer kernel?

If you find the newer or newest kernel either doesn't resolve the problem or makes anything worse, you can always boot from a your current ( which would then be considered a previous one) and one and remove the newer or newest kernel.

Create a timeshift snapshot targeting a separate physical drive 1st if possible, then.. you can install the newest kernel with sudo apt install kernel-oem-22.04b -y or sudo apt install kernel-oem-22.04c -y

If you find it isn't the right fit, then restart the PC, and the split second you see your monitor's screen go black from just barely finishing the P.O.S.T process ( usually a brand name of the motherboard shows on this screen unless you've changed that), span hit the shift key or esc key around 8 or 10 times kind of fast,

Then you'll see a black screen that gives you an option to select Advance Recovery Options or something along those lines... , select that, then you'll see a list of kernels you can select one to boot from. You can then boot from the 5.15.x-x series, once back in your desktop, you can then sudo apt remove kernel-oem-22.04b -y or sudo apt remove kernel-oem-22.04c -y just as easily to get rid of it and you're no worse off in the end.
Sorry, but why you are saying I am seemingly against trying a newer kernel?

I have used the approach presented by Midnight True
I have done a timeshift and applied this command.

apt update && apt-get install linux-oem-22.04c
Rebooted and then provided the latest output as Midnight True asked.

I don't know if it answers your concerns or if I am missing something.
Thanks
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

sorry for whatever reason I accidentally glossed over...

Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:14 pm sorry for whatever reason I accidentally glossed over...

So all seems to look good, at least in terms of applying newer kernels, right? Or do I need to apply to your recent post and give it a try?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Na, you're cool and did everything on point as far as I can tell via others' reasonable instructions/suggestions. I'm just sorry I haven't any good ideas to help at the moment.

Beyond just simply ensuring more simple hardware stuff maybe just to rule it out.

1. disable any VPNs if applicable.
2. power off that pc, then the router, then the modem ( if modem and router are not separate units/devices...then powering down that " gateway" as its often called old school..will suffice)

3. power back on only the modem first if separate vs router. give it 90 seconds or whatever full time it takes before all normal lights come on and turn correct colors for proper internet =working/being delivered.
4. power back on router, if separate device, wait the appropriate time ( usually for me it's a good 90 seconds maybe slightly less )
5. then power back on PC.

If things work as they should, then turn back on VPN(s) ( one at a time testing uncached sites ) .
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:29 pm Na, you're cool and did everything on point as far as I can tell via others' reasonable instructions/suggestions. I'm just sorry I haven't any good ideas to help at the moment.

Beyond just simply ensuring more simple hardware stuff maybe just to rule it out.

1. disable any VPNs if applicable.
2. power off that pc, then the router, then the modem ( if modem and router are not separate units/devices...then powering down that " gateway" as its often called old school..will suffice)

3. power back on only the modem first if separate vs router. give it 90 seconds or whatever full time it takes before all normal lights come on and turn correct colors for proper internet =working/being delivered.
4. power back on router, if separate device, wait the appropriate time ( usually for me it's a good 90 seconds maybe slightly less )
5. then power back on PC.

If things work as they should, then turn back on VPN(s) ( one at a time testing uncached sites ) .
1. Never was enabled. This should not be a problem.
2. Tried that in many variations and mostly the one you presented. Done several times.
3-5. Done as well

Thank you for these ideas and for trying to solve them with me :)
Unfortunately, nothing worked. All of the manual solutions didn't work and more importantly the suggestion across this whole thread, i.e., commands and else.

To me, it seems that there is a solution because it has to work in the end :) don't know why it is so hard to find the root of this issue :( or a solution itself.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

:(

Well I'm unsure how long of time you want to give other forum members a chance to chime in. I'm guessing the most common 20 ish I know off of memory are pretty busy this evening.

If no one else chimes in with something different or better.. Then let me ask you this

Two more questions

1st question = Does your wifi AND physical ethernet connection ( as in that patch cord plugged right into that PC ) work normally and completely without any settings changes other than typing in your password for the wifi?

Last Question = Do you recall if you had to do anything special to have both the physical ethernet connection and your wifi working correctly? If the answer is no, then some setting adjustment and/or update may have caused the issue and a clean install may end up being the only solution if all else fails IF..and only if the answer to that Last Question is no

I always have hated in the past starting over from scratch in Linux ..especially when I forgot to make notes on how I set up anything and everything and how to manually backup everything including my keyboard shortcuts aka keybindings, cinnamon desktop, and /home backup.

Thus I am 99% done with my own personal install and setuppc.sh bashscript file that does like 99% of that manual guess work for me in a matter of minutes..not days.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:38 pm :(

Well I'm unsure how long of time you want to give other forum members a chance to chime in. I'm guessing the most common 20 ish I know off of memory are pretty busy this evening.

If no one else chimes in with something different or better.. Then let me ask you this

Two more questions

1st question = Does your wifi AND physical ethernet connection ( as in that patch cord plugged right into that PC ) work normally and completely without any settings changes other than typing in your password for the wifi?

Last Question = Do you recall if you had to do anything special to have both the physical ethernet connection and your wifi working correctly? If the answer is no, then some setting adjustment and/or update may have caused the issue and a clean install may end up being the only solution if all else fails IF..and only if the answer to that Last Question is no

I always have hated in the past starting over from scratch in Linux ..especially when I forgot to make notes on how I set up anything and everything and how to manually backup everything including my keyboard shortcuts aka keybindings, cinnamon desktop, and /home backup.

Thus I am 99% done with my own personal install and setuppc.sh bashscript file that does like 99% of that manual guess work for me in a matter of minutes..not days.
Well I'm unsure how long of time you want to give other forum members a chance to chime in.
I am struggling with this issue for a long time and write in the forum after several months of struggle.
I would be happy to hear others' suggestions.
1st question
I think it does
Last Question
I did not. The ethernet cable is just plug in into the workstation. The wifi adapter was installed before, but after the upgrade the system does not see it, hence I can use only an ethernet cable to connect.

In general, this issue is only on this linux device. The internet connection wifi/ethernet cable work well on other devices mac, windows, and linux (i.e., notebooks, laptops, mobiles)
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

The wifi adapter was installed before, but after the upgrade the system does not see it, hence I can use only an ethernet cable to connect.
Upgrade? Does this mean you didn't start with Mint 21 or 21.1 and you you were on a previous main version of Mint such as the 20.x series, and did the upgrade per official site instructions / aka via Update Manager if applicable?

Or was this originally a clean install months ago before you noticed this problem began? Sorry to sound nitpicky, just trying to narrow something down here.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

Mint 21 was the very first installation on this machine.
Then, I need to install wifi adapter because it was not visible and looked like this (now it is the same as before, meaning, lack of

iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

enp2s0    no wireless extensions.

enp0s31f6  no wireless extensions.
And on the network connection GUI, I cannot see the wifi toggle after the wifi adapter installation.
Or was this originally a clean install months ago before you noticed this problem began? Sorry to sound nitpicky, just trying to narrow something down here.
Originally it was clean installation months ago, from the official Linux mint distribution via USB.
The problem is from the very beginning and since then I have tried various solutions e.g., changing the wifi receiver, ethernet cable, and else, and of course, mainly from this forum/thread.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

schwarzschild wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:53 pm
i did some research and found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ian-wheezy

unfortunately, i use rtl8821ce driver, but i personally use a github published driver for what comes with the kernel is rtw88 which do not work well with my system.
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:03 am
i did some research and found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ian-wheezy

unfortunately, i use rtl8821ce driver, but i personally use a github published driver for what comes with the kernel is rtw88 which do not work well with my system.
Do you recommend me to install rtl8821ce ?
I have tried to use rtl88x2bu and its github repo but there are issues with https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu/issues/191 and I could not make it work.
schwarzschild
Level 2
Level 2

Post by schwarzschild »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:03 am
Here are some outputs:

ifconfig -a
enp0s31f6: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.104  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.0.255
        inet6 fe80::11d4:f118:a339:f4ee  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether c8:f7:50:f4:ad:01  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 65387  bytes 48092135 (48.0 MB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 62163  bytes 17928164 (17.9 MB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
        device interrupt 16  memory 0x90300000-90320000  

enp2s0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether c8:f7:50:f4:ac:f9  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        device memory 0x90100000-9017ffff  

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 215  bytes 433191 (433.1 KB)
        TX packets 215  bytes 433191 (433.1 KB)

ifconfig lo up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
ifconfig enp2s0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
ethtool lo
netlink error: Operation not permitted
Settings for lo:
	Link detected: yes
ethtool enp2s0 
Settings for enp2s0:
	Supported ports: [ TP ]
	Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
	Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
	Supported FEC modes: Not reported
	Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
	                        100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
	                        1000baseT/Full
	Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
	Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
	Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
	Speed: Unknown!
	Duplex: Unknown! (255)
	Auto-negotiation: on
	Port: Twisted Pair
	PHYAD: 1
	Transceiver: internal
	MDI-X: off (auto)
netlink error: Operation not permitted
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                               drv probe link
	Link detected: no
I don't know if this is helpful for my issue.

Additionally, what are your recommendations? Or I should follow

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-amd64
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

schwarzschild wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:48 pm
Noooo ... please use the driver that is hardware compatible with your system. I just mentioned it to give you an idea and example that some driver that comes with kernel MIGHT not work well with your machine.

Return to “Networking”