How can I disable the keyring?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WTortoise
Level 1
Level 1

How can I disable the keyring?

Post by WTortoise »

I just freshly installed Linux Mint Vera 21.2 Xfce, and every 10 minutes or so I get a prompt to create a new password for my default keyring. I have no desire to use the keyring feature. How can I disable it altogether?

I've been able to find a lot of information about how to disable the requirement for a password on login, but nothing mentions how to just get rid of keyrings as far as I can tell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How can I disable the keyring?

Post by sleeper12 »

WTortoise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WTortoise »

sleeper12 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 pm Maybe this: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID15
As far as I can tell that's just telling you to delete your current password and use keyring without a password. I'd rather just not use keyring at all, but I don't see any obvious way to do that.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

I'm quite sure you're reading it incorrectly. Will mention, though, that I've not tried the procedure myself. I don't get nagged about the keyring.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

It worked for me back when I had the same problem with Chromium.
Last edited by sleeper12 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

WTortoise wrote:I'd rather just not use keyring at all
Keyring is an embedded security feature in many Linux distros. There's not exactly "rather not using keyring at all" in Linux Mint. You just bypass password prompts when automatic login is enabled by unlocking keyring permanently. Follow the instructions down to the last detail.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

While your mileage may vary, I routinely eliminate keyring (I can manage security myself, thank you very much), and I've noticed no adverse affects by not having it.

Here's how to do it:

navigate to /home/yourusername/.local/share/keyrings

and delete the two files in the folder

Open Synaptic Package Manager and locate gnome-keyring and uninstall it. Seahorse will be uninstalled along with gnome-keyring.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Reddog1 wrote:I routinely eliminate keyring...
Cool but you shouldn't routinely advise newcomers to do the same.
I do very peculiar things with my systems but I don't propagandize em as routine solutions to routine problems.
OP might not be a security pro ready to take security on their firm hands.
They want to disable keyring in order to stop a flood of credential insertion prompts, at least that's what they say.
By deleting keyring they won't get rid of any prompts and then they should certainly seek an alternative method of securely storing and managing credentials.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Just my 2 cents worth. I have 5 computers running LM21.1 and on all, except for one they never ask for a password except during kernel and system updates. My own machine does however ask for a password on each boot, but that is because I run Skype at boot up and because it requires a password to start, I have to enter that password. To which I'm wondering if the OP has installed something similar that when it is set to start when LM starts and requires a password login.

Return to “Beginner Questions”