Sticky Note Suggestions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Sticky Note Suggestions

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I've been installing programs and applets I use in my laptop that's still running Mint 19.3 onto my new desktop computer. A few I had to replace because they wouldn't work with 20.1 Cinnamon but trying to a replacement for the applet Sticky Notes has driving me crazy(er). That program was ideal for me since I could easily change colors on individual notes, adjust the size of each note, and easily backup and restore the notes. They also were more compact since there were no large, visible buttons for deleting the note, changing fonts and colors, etc. cluttering up the note (control was via a right click menu).

I've tried, and deleted, I forget how many possible replacements for Sticky Notes (actually, instead of deleting, I make a Timeshift snapshot before installing the program or applet, then do a restore if I want to get rid of it to make sure I don't leave any traces behind; yeah I'm that big of a coward). I have two contenders so far—Indicator Stickynotes (https://launchpad.net/~umang/+archive/u ... tickynotes) and Notes (https://github.com/linuxmint/sticky), both programs—that come close. One is more compact (albeit larger and clunkier than the old Sticky Notes) but is monochromatic. The other has a limited color selection (limited because many of the colors look like other colors to me; stupid color blindness) and has a selection of fonts, etc. but is even larger than the other. Both apparently can have the notes backed up (I haven't test them yet). Sadly both have a menu bar across the top of each note that makes each note much larger than they would be otherwise, causing them to eat up more screen real estate than I would like.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a sticky note program or applet that would be as flexible as Notes but not as clunky?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Sticky Note Suggestions

Post by rossdv8 »

Would something like this work?
Or is this one you have already tried and rejected?
In this case it was sudo apt install sticky . .
I noticed I have something like four Stiky note Apps in Synaptic. This just happens to be the one my Mint 21 KDE was using by default. I only knew about it because I accidentally enabled it and had a cow of a time trying to get rid of it from my desktop :-)
Last edited by rossdv8 on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rossdv8 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:12 am Would something like this work?
Or is this one you have already tried and rejected?

Maybe (I don't recognize it). What is it and where can I get it?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I'm using the stickynote applet in LM21.1 cinnamon?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 am Maybe (I don't recognize it). What is it and where can I get it?
Check in Software Manager:

and:

As you know, My Mint 21 is not standard, but 'Sticky' is in my Software Manager. There's a chance it might be in yours . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:49 am I'm using the stickynote applet in LM21.1 cinnamon?

That's the one I was using in 19.3. In 20.1, the notes dropout of sight when the applet is minimized. Research I've done on it says it's no longer supported. :cry: Thanks anyway.
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Yes, as soon as you click on the desktop they disappear and you have to click on the icon in the panel to get them back.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rossdv8 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:07 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:15 am Maybe (I don't recognize it). What is it and where can I get it?
Check in Software Manager:

and:

As you know, My Mint 21 is not standard, but 'Sticky' is in my Software Manager. There's a chance it might be in yours . .
OK, in the 21.1 Cinnamon Software Manager, it's called just "Notes" and looks quite a bit different. So far, it's the best I've found but it's considerably more clunky than the old Stickynote Applet due to the large header with large control buttons. I've mitigated the screen real estate issue by combining most of the individual notes I had been using into a single, long sticky note.

Thanks anyway.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AndyMH wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:36 am Yes, as soon as you click on the desktop they disappear and you have to click on the icon in the panel to get them back.
For me, that is completely unacceptable. My ADHD "blessed" brain (what's left of it) needs those notes visible at all times. It's a pity it's no longer properly supported. :cry:
Jeannie

sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:47 am ... needs those notes visible at all times.
I may not understand exactly, but my xpad notes (in 19.3 and 21.1) remain open on the desktop. There is an option to keep a certain note always visible on top, but this setting is lost when closing the app.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

sanmig wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:35 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:47 am ... needs those notes visible at all times.
I may not understand exactly, but my xpad notes (in 19.3 and 21.1) remain open on the desktop. There is an option to keep a certain note always visible on top, but this setting is lost when closing the app.
I was referring to the old Sticky Notes program. It's not supported in 21.1 and the only way to keep the notes displayed at all times was to keep the app displaying its menu above the panel.

I tried xpad and too much space was wasted on tool bars, the narrowest size was too wide, and it was just too clunky to use.
Jeannie

Return to “Software & Applications”