21.1 Vera - Wifi Hotspot only working with ufw disabled!?!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linuxean
Level 1
Level 1

21.1 Vera - Wifi Hotspot only working with ufw disabled!?!

Post by Linuxean »

Hey Everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to help with something I'd discovered with Mint 21.1-------

Been trying to figure out what was going on with hotspots in 21.1 for the last week... been driving me up the wall.

-----------

In 20.3 Hotspots worked fine on this machine, whether it be with the default 'Use as a hotspot' from 'Network Settings' or, making a more complicated hotspot via console with nmcli.

On that same device booting into 21.1, nothing will work with connecting to a hotspot. It says it creates the hotspot in 21.1, and my phone and other devices will detect it broadcasting but nothing will connect to the hotspot.

After a tonne of searching for answers online I accidentally figured out it will connect ONLY with the ufw turned 'off' (I use the GUI built-in Gufw Firewall with Mint default, set it to 'off' and I can connect successfully!)

Thinking it might have been something I did to my 21.1 install, I removed all ssd drives and booted 21.1 off USB in LiveCD mode and replicated this issue. Running in LiveCD, hotspots in 21.1 will only connect with ufw off. So I'm guessing its nothing on my install if it's affecting basic runtime operations on the LiveCD too.

---------------

Can anyone help with what's going on here? I've never needed to turn the firewall off in any prior Mint installations to create and use a wifi hotspot. I'm guessing this shouldn't be happening and something's wrong.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
islandpal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 21.1 Vera - Wifi Hotspot only working with ufw disabled!?!

Post by islandpal »

Hi, I installed mint 21.1 and am having the same problem. If I try to establish connection to hotspot with samsung tablet I see searching for ip address then connection drops. My Chromecast device can't connect either. If I turn off firewall with GUFW I can connect successfully. Everything works fine under lm20.3. Just wondering if you solved this problem. Appreciate any help.

Return to “Networking”