mint doesn't see built in wireless

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pluraldave

Re: mint doesn't see built in wireless

Post by pluraldave »

unchartedstarr wrote:
Does the Hardware drivers (Menu>Administration>Hardware Drivers) tool want to install b43?
Yes. I just installed that and now the light is on on the wireless button, but I still can't connect to the internet wirelessly.
I think this might be one of the few updates that requires a restart. While you're just testing a liveCD you obviously can't complete that step. You can try running the following terminal command to see if it will load the module

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe b43
Personally I would just give installing Mint a go and we can sort the wireless after.

thefuteng wrote:Hi. I have this same problem but it would no allow me to activate b43. I was able to install the driver using windows wireless drivers installer but it still will not work. Can you help?
Please make a new thread so that your problem does not get confused with this one (or just lost and ignored). Please include the outputs from the following terminal commands:

inxi -N
and depending on whether your card is plugged into a pci or usb slot one of

lspci
or

lsusb
If you don't know which one provide both.

You should also provide the other information stated in my signature as well as what steps you have taken to try to get wireless working so far.

Remember in order to get b43 working you must be connected to the internet via a wired connection.
unchartedstarr

Post by unchartedstarr »

ok... I actually installed it, and activated b43, and now it works. So... stupid problem solved, I guess, haha.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

unchartedstarr wrote:ok... I actually installed it, and activated b43, and now it works.
Glad you got it sorted at last. I'd completely forgotten that you were only using the liveCD until pluraldave asked, thanks. Welcome to Mint
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
thefuteng

Post by thefuteng »

Actually, from reading the rest of the forum, I think I know how to fix it. I will try tonight and update you later. THanks!

Update: It works! Thanks for your help guys.
ghostgrrl

Post by ghostgrrl »

EDIT: Partially solved but not entirely --- see bottom of this post. Most of the below regards issues in Mint 7 install; still some issues in Mint 8.

Since I'm having the same problem -- Mint doesn't see wireless networks in newly installed Mint 7 -- I tried the above. It says "no proprietary drivers are used in this system." The list is blank.

BTW, this is with Mint 7 installed in place of Mint 8, which was giving me some issues. When Mint 8 was installed on the netbook, I could connect without any fiddling around, didn't have to do anything after install. In Mint 7 the wireless is just gone.

Mint 7 runs on my Acer laptop just fine, but on my new Gateway (Acer) LT2108u Netbook running Mint 7, the wireless is nonexistent.
I think this might be one of the few updates that requires a restart. While you're just testing a liveCD you obviously can't complete that step. You can try running the following terminal command to see if it will load the module

sudo modprobe b43
Personally I would just give installing Mint a go and we can sort the wireless after.
Okay, so I ran the code and got nothing. Zilch. Just another blinking prompt.
And, as I said, this is on an installed Mint 7 system.
Please include the outputs from the following terminal commands:

inxi -N
and depending on whether your card is plugged into a pci or usb slot one of

lspci
or

lsusb
If you don't know which one provide both.

You should also provide the other information stated in my signature as well as what steps you have taken to try to get wireless working so far.

Remember in order to get b43 working you must be connected to the internet via a wired connection.
For the inxi code, here is the result:

Network: Card-1 Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
Card-2 Attansic Corp. Device 1062

Don't know about the b43 part, as the wireless was working without doing anything special after installing Mint 8. Then when Mint 8 was not working quite as I needed it to (based on my Mint 7 experience on my laptop, which I'm using now), I installed 7 in place of 8. The OS boots just fine --- however, the wireless is nonexistent and for some reason the windows, fonts, etc. are stretched-looking, rather like Safe Mode in Windows. So I have two issues that need to be resolved: wireless and weird graphics display.

Also, on bootup the Mint logo appears in two places, upper left and upper right, of the splash-sort of screen; it goes by so fast it's hard to tell. There are also some little horizontal hatch lines here and there.

So I ran a couple codes I found above and in the Ubuntu forums relating to wireless issues:

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Pineview DMI Bridge
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Tigerpoint LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
krt@CrimsonDivine ~/Desktop $ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 064e:a102 Suyin Corp. 
krt@CrimsonDivine ~/Desktop $ 
Not that I know what any of that means, other than there is an Atheros wireless adapter in there somewhere.

What I've tried:
Reinstalled Mint 7 again, using the same burned LiveCD that I used to install it on this laptop. The md5 is perfect, so no worries there.
Redownloaded Mint 7, verified md5, reburned to CD, reinstalled. Same result.

Tried to edit the grub, using suggestions found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336022&page=2, but again nothing. Where it says to enter the code

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
I did that and it returned nothing. Zero.

So now I'm just lost. Everything is working just fine on my laptop, but my brand-new netbook is having difficulties. I love Mint too much to just switch over to Ubuntu Netbook Remix or some such.

EDIT: Since it was really driving me nuts (netbook has been down all day because of this), I tried reinstalling Helena to see if my wireless would come back. Presto! There it was. So now I'm back to Mint 8 and the wireless is working again.

SECOND EDIT: The wireless in Mint 8 is intermittent. Last night I tried several times to download and install LyX using Synaptic, and it kept losing the signal. This is with the netbook sitting about 3-4 ft from the router, and my laptop is two ft further away than that and remains connected the whole time. My son also connects to the router using his Acer Aspire One netbook running WinXP and he never complains of losing the signal, and most of the time he is in his room, still further away and on the other side of a wall.

I'm trying the download again this morning, after shutting the netbook down for the night. So far so good, but it's a large download. It's going rather slowly (38-93kB/s --- usually much faster).

Still having some strange graphics issues on bootup, but I've posted on that elsewhere (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=40510) and it seems a separate issue from the wireless.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might get the wireless working in Mint 7 Gloria, I'd appreciate it. There are a few things that don't seem to work in Helena that work in Gloria, like this neat little timer applet for the panel that I use constantly. It doesn't seem to work in Helena. :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”