2 days Wifi misery and a network manager warning

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

2 days Wifi misery and a network manager warning

Post by viking777 »

3 days ago I went out and bought myself a new present - a Huawei E5830 modem. This is a mobile broadband device that turns a mobile signal into a wifi signal and provides you with your own personal wifi hotspot wherever you are (providing there is a mobile broadband signal of course). I bought it so that my wife and myself can simultaneously share a mobile internet connection when we are away from home (it connects up to 5 devices apparently). It was therefore required to work on 2 machines, her laptop and mine. On my machine (fairly modern) it worked like a dream - I am using it now. But getting it to work on her (old) laptop nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. I have spent 2 days mired in wifi misery!

I have spent all that time tearing down and building up wireless connections, I have upgraded and downgraded network managers, I have switched network managers, then switched back again when the one I changed to was as bad than the one I already had, I have disabled firewalls, I have flushed iptables, I have flashed firmware, I have changed encryption, I have messed with command line tricks that have more in common with witchcraft than computing, I have edited /network/interfaces, I even booted Windows (took about 10 minutes :!: but it connected of course), I have pinged, I might even have ponged, I don't know :) . All I do know is that the only answer I ever got was "network unreachable". Incidentally, I was using Crunchbang Lite which is about the only thing that I can persuade to work on my wife's laptop.

Last thing last night after spending all day on this I had an idea to run the Crunchbang live cd on her machine and see what happened. What happened was it connected straight away :?: . So then I had another idea - reinstall the OS. As this machine is only used when we are away from home,and it belongs to my wife who mainly uses Windows anyway :? there was not much configuration involved in reinstalling, but the main thing is - it worked :?: :?: So why? My answer is that some update or other rendered the thing incapable of connecting to wifi.

That leads me on nicely to the next part of my title. I use Sidux as well as Mint and others. Just recently they updated Network-Manager-Gnome to version 0.7.999-2. This version completely stuffed nearly all my internet connections (it could still work with wired, but everything else was gone). I downgraded to 0.7.2-2 and got everything back again, but the warning mentioned in the title relates to this NM version - DO NOT use it in its present form.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: 2 days Wifi misery and a network manager warning

Post by Husse »

Ah - you don't need assistance, you are just sending a warning - phew! :)
viking777

Re: 2 days Wifi misery and a network manager warning

Post by viking777 »

Husse wrote:Ah - you don't need assistance, you are just sending a warning - phew! :)
Relax - You are safe :lol:

(For now!)

Return to “Chat about Linux”