What Is Your Fav?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What Distro is Your Fav?

Debian
27%
Ubuntu
7%
Mint
67%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 15

Jonny87

What Is Your Fav?

Post by Jonny87 »

This may seem like a silly question to ask in the Linux Mint Forum but I'm looking to find out from other Linux users what distro they would rather. I like Mint but I'm thinking about trying Ubuntu or Debian somewhere down the track when I've gotten the hang of linux a bit more.
So please let me know what do you consider to be the best distro and why?
Debian?
Ubuntu?
Mint?
Other?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fluxx

Re: What Is Your Fav?

Post by Fluxx »

At one time or another I've run almost the entire Debian family, and I have come to appreciate the family resemblance. Especially between Debian and Ubuntu, but after you get past the facial similarity, you begin to see the difference in the generations.

Moving into Ubuntu was different, because the Gnome interface is more vanilla, more like it comes from Gnome than the rework provided for us by Mint. I then got to work getting all the "restricted extras" so that I could make Ubuntu play all the stuff I wanted to see on the Internet, like YouTube, etc. I said to myself the same thing a karate teacher had challenged me with long ago: "Other people have learned to do this, so is there something wrong with you?"

But with Debian, I felt so geeky in the beginning ("Look, ma, I'm running Debian, with no hands!") and then rapidly got dissatisfied. I just couldn't get everything non-free playing smoothly with Debian...I mean, I solved the problem of getting it going, which was my goal. It was another baby step on the way to learning more about Linux. I could have worked on it a little more, but I was done for then.

I've stepped outside of the Debian fold to get my feet wet in Slackware land, and flirted with Sabayon, but I keep Mint 7 as my main OS with another partition loaded with Xubuntu. (I'm using the Xubuntu as the environment to build LFS in.) After I have learned more about Linux on a deeper level, I hope to understand more about why I'm having trouble with anything built on Linux Kernel version 2.6.30...

I keep Mint because I love the way everything worked "out of the box." My wife loves the main edition, so I will have it as long as it will run on my hardware. So, no matter what else I'm working on, there will always be Mint main somewhere.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I didnt answer the poll because I cannot.

I currently run Arch and Mint 7 Xfce. In the past I have run all the main players at one time or another. I was (obviously) a big Fedora user and that distro is still a good one. I also like Gentoo, slack, mepis, Ubuntu...and so many others. But there is something special about debian. I have always considered debian to be the most vanilla Linux...what Linux was always supposed to be. It is a bit "harder" to get up and running but nothing like slack and gentoo. It really is just a matter of using the forum to figure out the debian way. It is good experience. Of course once up and running I soon grow bored with it. Sid is cutting edge and very challenging though. I like sidux, that is a fun distro. Crunchbang also rocks. Yep, really just too many to list. Enjoy. :D
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Mint, indeed. Why? I run it on a netbook and what I found is amazing and smooth performance combined with outta the box experience, all surrounded by elegance and beauty!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have a tri-boot on my PC

LinuxMint-8 (Xfce) ... Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 (development) ... Debian Squeeze -Xfce (testing)

I have found that many people usually stay within one Linux Core Family.

Slackware ... Fedora/RedHat ... ArchLinux ... Gentoo ... Debian ... (PuppyLinux is in a class of it's own)

So, if you started with, or first learned Linux in a Debian-based distro, you will most likely stay with other Debian-based distros.

Debian > Ubuntu > Mint
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've been using Mint for almost 6 months now-starting with Mint 7,then Mint 7 64-bit,and now Mint 8.
It does everything I need it to do,but there is scope to learn with it.
I'll be keeping Mint as my main distro for the forseeable future.
I also have Crunchbang 9.04 on another machine,a fast light distro,and another learning opportunity as Openbox is very different from Gnome.
When Mint 8 XFCE is released I will also have a look at that,again as a learning exercise.
Over time I expect I will explore other distros,but its most likely that they will be Debian-based ones.
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

I was just thinking about this.

When we grow up as children, usually our first experiences stay within one family. As Linux users, we do best to do the same at first.

When we look at Ubuntu, in a way we are looking at our parent, since Mint was created from Ubuntu. But Ubuntu, being created from Debian, is like looking at a grandparent. This is why I spoke of our family resemblance.

Grandpa Debian is one of those grandfathers who has been everywhere and done everything. He looks right in cowboy chaps, getting ready to do some real dirty work, and he can dress up to give a lecture on history or science. He can even surprise you by wearing jeans and a leather jacket and taking you for a plane ride. But usually he is just very safe and secure, and we can always count on him to give us that feeling.

But we also have siblings. MoonOS comes to mind, and I like her, but somehow Enlightenment is not for me. She's pretty, alright, but I don't want to live with her daily. Crunchbang is like the brother who won't stay off motorcycles. He feels the need for speed. It comes naturally for him. He is not pretty, perhaps, but he is very good to know, since he is a bit technically oriented.

A few uncles and aunts are around. Uncle Dreamlinux is nice. So is Auntie Elive. Uncle Sidux, on the other hand, is the black sheep of the family. He's always trying to find trouble, but he is a lot of fun.

Uncle Knoppix and Auntie Mepis also come to mind. We also have a host of cousins, but as this may be getting tiresome for many I will just direct you here if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... tributions
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Fluxx wrote:I was just thinking about this.

When we grow up as children, usually our first experiences stay within one family. As Linux users, we do best to do the same at first.

When we look at Ubuntu, in a way we are looking at our parent, since Mint was created from Ubuntu. But Ubuntu, being created from Debian, is like looking at a grandparent. This is why I spoke of our family resemblance.

Grandpa Debian is one of those grandfathers who has been everywhere and done everything. He looks right in cowboy chaps, getting ready to do some real dirty work, and he can dress up to give a lecture on history or science. He can even surprise you by wearing jeans and a leather jacket and taking you for a plane ride. But usually he is just very safe and secure, and we can always count on him to give us that feeling.

But we also have siblings. MoonOS comes to mind, and I like her, but somehow Enlightenment is not for me. She's pretty, alright, but I don't want to live with her daily. Crunchbang is like the brother who won't stay off motorcycles. He feels the need for speed. It comes naturally for him. He is not pretty, perhaps, but he is very good to know, since he is a bit technically oriented.

A few uncles and aunts are around. Uncle Dreamlinux is nice. So is Auntie Elive. Uncle Sidux, on the other hand, is the black sheep of the family. He's always trying to find trouble, but he is a lot of fun.

Uncle Knoppix and Auntie Mepis also come to mind. We also have a host of cousins, but as this may be getting tiresome for many I will just direct you here if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Li ... tributions

Lol Nice :mrgreen:
Jonny87

Post by Jonny87 »

Am enjoying viewing your comments and you views on the different distros. I'm finding them very interesteresting.
Please keep them coming.

Return to “Chat about Linux”