Where can I find info about the Character Map and Xed devs?

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
burtboy144
Level 2
Level 2

Where can I find info about the Character Map and Xed devs?

Post by burtboy144 »

I'm looking into the requirements surrounding a trio of applets in the Linux Mint ecosystem: Character Map, Onboard, and the Xed Text Editor. I have found the Launchpad.net forum for the Onboard team, but I thought I would reach out for information about the other two. Are there dedicated forums for the Character Map and Xed Editor working groups? All I need is the URLs. Thanky kindly...

--Thanky kindly--

Pipe long and aerogate,
Burt Paulie
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Where can I find info about the Character Map and Xed devs?

Post by billyswong »

Character Map is maintained by Gnome team by Xed is maintained by Linux Mint team.

I am not sure why you are looking for information of these 3. But since I remember you were inventing characters in some earlier topic in this forum, I guess you are thinking on adding your own language into those software? No, Character Map is not going to deviate from the official Unicode specification. The "best" you can do is download then code the create your own personal fork.
burtboy144
Level 2
Level 2

Post by burtboy144 »

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to want to deviate from the Unicode Specification for decades. I'm not going there...

I would however, like to create my own Character Map software (applet style?) that manipulates Intergraph files (upload, download, extract, install, etc.). I don't expect it to be a bloat feature (like anything new), but I'll do it with or without help from the Linux community. Chances are that I will run several private servers for experimental purposes in using things like Kubernetes and building an Intergraph code base. It could easily become as large as Unicode over time. There is an Intergraph style and font variations for every coded alphabet on the planet, so over the next 100 hundred years of my life, it's a worthy DIY project...

FYI: The dev team and code base info is for developing my own mock up series of Intergraph ready apps (applets?). The Character Map for managing Intergraph fonts and keyboard layouts, a scaled-down Onboard clone for user interface, and a Xed-like text editor with bi-direction text processing capabilities, save and sort features, and some translation tool plug-in possibilities (nothing fancy, but managing a plug-in or two should be a dev factor)...

Hey, my apartment number again!! Char On Xed : 4 2 3 :: Xed On Char : 3 2 4...

But I digress. I'm going to look at scaling back whatever code bases exist for these 3 apps and then learn to write something manageable for an individual (minimally). We've had too many severe assaults here to hire comfortably (my first tutor was castrated, and a friend of Ray Kurzweil no less), so if I can't figure out how to go it alone, it will die with me. I'm not doing it Open Source at all, just me and whoever I can hire safely...

Good to hear from you. Stay safe and be well...

--Thanky kindly--

Pipe long and aerogate,
Burt Paulie
burtboy144
Level 2
Level 2

Post by burtboy144 »

billyswong wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:39 am Character Map is maintained by Gnome team by Xed is maintained by Linux Mint team.

I am not sure why you are looking for information of these 3. But since I remember you were inventing characters in some earlier topic in this forum, I guess you are thinking on adding your own language into those software? No, Character Map is not going to deviate from the official Unicode specification. The "best" you can do is download then code the create your own personal fork.
I'll keep this brief...

In your opinion, from the perspective of an educated guess (but without three weeks of proactive attention), how skinny could you make all three of these apps and see them function in a native Linux Mint environment? To reiterate: how little effort would three MVPs take for an Intergraph-ready Character Map, Keyboard, and Text Editor from say, two journeyman Crafters at 8th Light Studios?

Can you ballpark it? Thanky...
Last edited by SMG on Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote tags from the message so it is easier to see.

--Thanky kindly--

Pipe long and aerogate,
Burt Paulie
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

burtboy144 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:05 pm But I digress. I'm going to look at scaling back whatever code bases exist for these 3 apps and then learn to write something manageable for an individual (minimally). We've had too many severe assaults here to hire comfortably (my first tutor was castrated, and a friend of Ray Kurzweil no less), so if I can't figure out how to go it alone, it will die with me. I'm not doing it Open Source at all, just me and whoever I can hire safely...
Well, legally if you are going to create a software by forking xed or gucharmap or onboard, the software *have to* be open source. They are GPL licensed, which means anyone who use their source code to create new software must also distribute the new product together with the new source code available. Unless one got a legal team behind to sort things all out, usually that means stick with the GPL license in the fork. Technically if you are going to take your fork to the grave and never distribute it, then license term don't apply. Or if you are putting your new product onto your own web server and only provide access to web users then you don't have to give the source code to web clients as well as it is a loophole (technically you have never sent the binary product itself to web users). But for software that is to be run on a PC, your scenario shall better be called "open source software that have never published to public therefore the source code have also not been published yet". Directly fork and create a closed source product from GPL licensed software is a copyright violation.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think it should be pointed out that developers on dev sites have absolutely no interest whatsoever in teaching newbies how to code or do anything else. All they're interested in is users who know how to file bug reports properly. You'd just be cluttering up the site.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
burtboy144
Level 2
Level 2

Post by burtboy144 »

It is no wonder that the Mint software is as bloated as it is when I hear the kind of attitude coming from experienced devs like yourself that I do. Frankly, I can hardly care to call myself a member of the Linux community for the cruel and unusual nature of the hijinx surrounding your products and your code. Working in these rooms is like watching the news. Not a single professional outlet will publish even a single story on the problems that most seriously vex the greatest number of people. Not one honest story on our most pressing problems from every professional news media outlet. Kind of like the Linux community...

Why would a person like myself ever care to do business with a community as narrow-minded and selfish as the one I see here. The answer is: I wouldn't. All I am left with is helping to 'clean house' in the wake of our ancestors' unethical criminal conduct. I'd slur you, but why waste genuine emotional expressions over a bunch of impartial bit maps? I could probably rather be homeless than serve in a community this jaded...

Stay safe and be well,
Burtrand Aronson Frederick Paulie

--Thanky kindly--

Pipe long and aerogate,
Burt Paulie
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Topic locked.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Beginner Questions to Programming & Development and temporary lock replaced with a permanent one.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Programming & Development”